cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire recommendations, TV F150

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in getting that "soft" feeling reduced or eliminated from the back end of my F150. So I'm sure that someone else has gone down this road and would love to hear what you have done and how well it worked. I have the OEM Wranglers on it and have never really liked them so I would be happy to replace them with a good towing tire. I would not mind losing that passenger tire ride for a great towing ride.
27 REPLIES 27

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
Not yet just purchased the new TT. After we get it set the TT set up and stocked I'm going to the scales. If I need to I will get a bigger truck. Thanks for the comment.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you weighed your TV and TT combination? Even with my 6000 lb. TT, the CAT scales show I am over the recommended TV’s rear axle weight max when loaded with camp gear.

Many of the board’s suggestions will improve the ride and handling even if overloaded; but as any farmer or construction worker knows, you may be asking your TV brakes, frame and suspension to do more than it was designed for.

Good luck and I hope you get a suitable ride.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I am curious what your F-150’s max cargo is. With my TV and TT loaded I am at the max axel load and a bit over the max cargo. With the features on my 4x4 the yellow sticker says my max cargo is 1411 lbs.

The dry weight on my trailer is 5000 lbs. loaded it is a tad over 6000 lbs. I can see why an 8000 lb. payload would impact the tire performance.

The empty weight of the truck is around 5200 and the GVWR is 7200 but the placard on the door states that pax and cargo should not exceed 1,400 lbs.

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
BossCamper wrote:
Any good LT tires will get rid of sidewall softness. If degradation of unloaded ride isn't a concern, go for it.
We went from the wranglers to Dunlop LT and are very happy with the improvement. Before the Dunlops, I could get truck wiggling from side to side with just pushing with my fingertips on the side of the box.

Sometimes folks just think too much.

Very true, even the wiggling it with a finger. I'm likely going to get the Michelin LTX/AT2 in an E, I have a feeling that will clean up the ride.

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Any good LT tires will get rid of sidewall softness. If degradation of unloaded ride isn't a concern, go for it.
We went from the wranglers to Dunlop LT and are very happy with the improvement. Before the Dunlops, I could get truck wiggling from side to side with just pushing with my fingertips on the side of the box.

Sometimes folks just think too much.
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
I see now. I'm getting the 10 ply tries ordered this week and then I'll go from there if it's needed.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
myrvhasnotv wrote:
It's not really a "sway" issue, it's soft sidewalls. Plus I have the Blue OX and I doubt that's an option.

I'm referring to a bar that bolts to the rear axle of the truck. It helps tighten up side to side motion in rear of truck when towing. Has nothing to do with what hitch you have.

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/sway-control/truck-suv-sway-bars/
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get some HD bilsteins. Had them on our old F150 and now on our F250. Really helps a lot.

What spring bar rating does the WDH have and what is the actual tongue weight? Depending on the numbers, it may help to upgrade the bars which can eliminate some of the springy-ness.

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
It's not really a "sway" issue, it's soft sidewalls. Plus I have the Blue OX and I doubt that's an option.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
One other item to think about is an aftermarket rear sway bar. Helped mine tremendously. I'm still running the stock pmetric goodyear wranglers.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
myrvhasnotv wrote:
What's a good shock for this? It's not porpoise-ing (that tip to tale pitch) it's a tire issue so because it sits level with the WDH I was not considering that but would be interested.
I put a set of Monroe shocks on mine and saw improvement in the squishy feeling your describing. If you want to do better, look at Bilstein shocks.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am curious what your F-150’s max cargo is. With my TV and TT loaded I am at the max axel load and a bit over the max cargo. With the features on my 4x4 the yellow sticker says my max cargo is 1411 lbs.

The dry weight on my trailer is 5000 lbs. loaded it is a tad over 6000 lbs. I can see why an 8000 lb. payload would impact the tire performance.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
What's a good shock for this? It's not porpoise-ing (that tip to tale pitch) it's a tire issue so because it sits level with the WDH I was not considering that but would be interested.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change/upgrade your shocks? That helped me a lot. Definitely LT tires aired up to max PSI. Put them back at 32 - 35 psi when not towing.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS