cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Repalcements

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we replaced 2 tires on our TT, and just had one Blowout on the way home from Va. Then I noticed on the sidewall lip that they were made in Bejing China.

Does any one know of any Trailer tires made in the US? Or at least decent ones made elsewhere? Thanks for the input and help !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W
87 REPLIES 87

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers will jump thru many hoops to avoid a warranty claim... I have had quite a few tires warrantied out, but never by a manufacturer.
Discount Tire has the best warranty and service in the business. I have bought almost all of my TT and other tires from them. They install LT tires on my TT, and wholeheartily recomend them, and warranty them.

JJ likes to talk a lot about the legalities as that scares some people... But really, according to him I should still be running ST tires as there are no other options...
In spite of the fact that I spent MANY thousands of dollars continuously upgrading the size and load rating of ST tires as I bought into all of the claims that are made for them.

I am sometimes a slow learner, but I DO learn.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Warranty coverage can be a bit dicey anyway from what I have seen. For instance, BFG ( and perhaps others ) have limitations on their stated warranty if you are using the tire in "commercial applications".

Whatever. I consider warranties to be mostly a useless "feature". I have often said I would buy a given product, and they could keep the "warranty"....and just discount the purchase price for me. I'd come out ahead in the long run, I am totally sure of that.
Using "warranty" as a buying decision, for me, is a non-starter.

In other words, as all this relates to the debate of ST or LT tires on my trailers ( y'all will notice I said "MY" trailers......let me make it clear here that I really could give a fat rat's pa-tooty what tires anybody else runs ), I could care less about the warranty. I just know what works for me, and people I know, so I go with the best I can for the job at hand. All my trailers run LT, of various brands. And are approved by the trailer manufacturers.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Every tire manufacture and trailer manufacture will tell you not to, never to, use a tire with a lower weight carrying capacity than what came equipped on the trailer or as placquered on the vehicleโ€ฆ
In other words a tire rated for 2540 pounds needs to be replaced with a tire that has a rating of 2540 pounds or betterโ€ฆ it could be a ST, LT, or a P rated tire that has been derated, this is only the starting pointโ€ฆ
2470 pounds falls short of that by (70) 280 pounds but if upgrading to a LR E it falls short by (360) 1440 poundsโ€ฆ based on the G 26 load rating they may be a good option for the ST 225x75Rx15 in LR Cโ€ฆ
Truth be known few trailers have designated anything but a ST tire for use on their units, and if you think it doesnโ€™t matter, it is the reason no tire manufacture will recommend a LT or a Commercial tire for a direct replacement for a ST tireโ€ฆ it is the reason many tire dealers will not knowingly replace a ST with a LTโ€ฆ

Hopefully if you do it on your own that their use is not considered a misapplication and misuse of the tire if it fails, and it will be if wording in the warranty donโ€™t support it... read belowโ€ฆ

snip
From a RV net memberโ€ฆ
โ€œCalled BFG and had a recorded conversation with Alvin. He immediately asked me the year of my vehicle and when I said 5th wheel he quickly began to lecture me on the BFG not being a ST tire and that I had misapplied the tire by mounting on my 5th wheel. He explained all the advantages of ST tires on trailers and yes he was aware of the horror stories of damages they cause. I had told him that I had removed them from a previous 5th wheel because I refused to have a trailer with ST tires. He got part of that story wrong when he repeated it because he said I took them off a truck. After I corrected him he said by taking a tire off the original vehicle and putting them on another I automatically voided the warranty. โ€œ
โ€œHe then began to tell me that the ST tire-and he said BFG doesn't make them-are rated with a higher capacity that LT tires. DUH!!!I told him that I was aware of that and my axles are 5200 # and I have weigh tickets and that the BFG tires were well within the limits of their capacity. He then began another explanation of the legal ramifications of having LT tires on trailers and that from a legal standpoint BFG was declining any assistance of the failed tire. โ€œ
โ€œTo sum things up:
I voided warranty of the tires when I put them on a trailer.
I voided warranty of the tires when I moved them from one vehicle to another.
BFG from a legal standpoint will not honor any warranty for LT tires on anything other than the original installation of a light duty truck.โ€
Snip:

While many of the illustrious car guys and self- proclaimed experts will tell you this is no problem and to trust them on all things tires, let them point out the warranty language from any manufacture that includes the wording to substantiate their claim of trailer useโ€ฆ

So many assumptions made through so many apples to oranges comparisons, equals logic to their superior mindsโ€ฆ

It so hard for this commoner and lowly civilian to take their words and recommendations seriously when so little if any of their self drawn conclusions drawn from unrelated data be found in any of the tire manufactures material and dataโ€ฆ
Thatโ€™s way they want you to as proof to search and read their last postโ€ฆ itโ€™s the only place to find their self drawn conclusionsโ€ฆ

Specific to RV useโ€ฆ
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE?
โ€ข You are the owner or authorized agent of the owner of new Goodyear G670 RVยฎ, G614 RSTยฎ,
Marathonยฎ and/or Wranglerยฎ SilentArmorยฎ tires.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY?

โ€ข Any Goodyear Commercial tire with the word โ€œMileageโ€ on the sidewall.

So read every word on the sidewall of your G26 before purchasing them if you want warranty coverageโ€ฆ

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
LoneStar1 wrote:
My DW's 1/2 ton Chevrolet tire tag, on the door, only lists 'P' tires. And yet I see time after time posters telling others to put LT tires on their 1/2 ton truck. Now the manufacturer may recommend that you don't, but is that an absolute?

LoneStar1
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of the argument I heard when I was a kid. The church I grew up in as a kid said this: "We speak where the bible speaks and are silent where the bible is silent". For that reason no instruments of music were allowed in the church service. A neighboring church said "if the bible does not specifically forbid something, then it is OK". And they had an organ/piano in the church. Who is right?
My DW's 1/2 ton Chevrolet tire tag, on the door, only lists 'P' tires. And yet I see time after time posters telling others to put LT tires on their 1/2 ton truck. Now the manufacturer may recommend that you don't, but is that an absolute? They recommend that you use their oil and other factory parts, but is that an absolute? Is it forbidden to use a super long life synthetic oil that needs changing every 20,000 miles? The factory recommends 7000 miles (depends on vehicle).
Is using LT tires on a trailer forbidden by the US government? If not, then use whatever makes you feel comfortable and safer. Is there any evidence that says using LT tires on a trailer is dangerous to the public? With the number of 'ST' tires that seem to failing on especially heavy trailers, I wonder if they might be dangerous to the public. That might be just a perception being as there are considerably more ST tires on trailers than LTs. If you feel safer using ST tire, then use it. But upgrade to give yourself a safety margin. If you want to use a LT tire to feel safer then do so, but make sure it meets or exceeds the original tires.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
I have mentioned a point in the past , " st " tires have printed on the sidewall " trailer service only" LT and P tires dont have a warning saying dont use on a trailer , or truck use only .

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:

Thank You Fast Eagle for that knowledgeable information .
That was helpful .
Another answer is Yes .
Try researching the Goodyear Cargo G26 load range D tire .
3 sizes including the aforementioned 225/70R15 which fits everywhere that the ST 225/75R15 fits , without any modifications .

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have mentioned a point in the past , " st " tires have printed on the sidewall " trailer service only" LT and P tires dont have a warning saying dont use on a trailer , or truck use only .

What type of tire was on trailers in the 1960's , 70's and 80's

I dont run my equipment at their max rpm , I dont run my tires at their max speed or weight capacity .

My adverage speed is 65 towing , I cant run a tire rated for 65 mph , thats asking for a problem . I need a cushion both on speed and weight capacity a " trailer tire ' doesnt have it , plain and simple .

I have too much riding on my tires ,

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Under inflation test.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Use the search function. I know you games. Show us all where a LT tire of equal size is load rated higher that ST. Show us that Oregon wisdon!
MM49

66mph!

HTH;
John

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

Show us all where a LT tire of equal size is load rated higher that ST.

What I "do" know about the fitment of LT tires is this: among the trailers I have, Kieffer Built, Titan and Load Trail, they all state in the owner manual that LT tires are fit to use on their trailers.
We have now ordered a 4star trailer to replace one of our horse trailers, and they too approve and factory fit LT tires.

Good enough for me.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
MM49 is just plain wrong .
The Cargo G26 is rated for trailer usage .
Hence the name " Cargo " .
A page ago MM49 said that every statement in my post was wrong .
I asked him to disprove each of those statements line by line .
Still no response .
Regarding the slow gene pool :
Is that all you have got ?
More name calling ?
How about some definitive helpful solutions , please ?
If you can prove your previous degradations , then do so .
It is painfully obvious that you do not have the answers or you would have provided them .usss
Answers , please .
Show me .
Use the search function. I know you games. Show us all where a LT tire of equal size is load rated higher that ST. Show us that Oregon wisdon!
MM49

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 is just plain wrong .
The Cargo G26 is rated for trailer usage .
Hence the name " Cargo " .
A page ago MM49 said that every statement in my post was wrong .
I asked him to disprove each of those statements line by line .
Still no response .
Regarding the slow gene pool :
Is that all you have got ?
More name calling ?
How about some definitive helpful solutions , please ?
If you can prove your previous degradations , then do so .
It is painfully obvious that you do not have the answers or you would have provided them .
Answers , please .
Show me .

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Lt Tires don't meet the performance standards of ST tires

And that is a very GOOD thing!!

As true as MM49 was, he is leaving out the fact that LT tires EXCEED the ST performance standards,,,, by a lot.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
MM49 wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
After all of this name calling has not anybody understood that :
The Goodyear Cargo G26 225/70R 15 load range D is the most tire we can buy that fits our 15 inch wheels ?
The data is there .
To put it bluntly , do not be fooled by the recent posters who offer no valid solutions better than the G26 .
They do not show evidence supporting their position .
Instead they resort to degrading the messenger .
These 3 are robbing the rest of us of the best solution by simply clouding the issue with their personal attacks .
Not one of them would last 10 minutes in a face to face discussion that required a working knowledge of these tires .
View the posts by JJ , MM , and FE and decide for yourself if any of these fellows do any in depth analysis to reach a logical conclusion .
Compare their knowledge to LowSuv , Huntindog , GMWPhotos , PartyMarty , Sprinklerman , and a few others for yourself .
The latter group just plain has a better working knowledge of the tire issue than JJ, MM , and FE .
Hence the name calling by JJ , MM, and FE .
With all of you accumulated knowlage not one OEM tire manfacture has supported your position. Every OEM ST manufacture has reccomended the use of ST tires. Maybe is a west coast thing?
MM49

Of course MM49 is now grasping at any hope .
His name calling did not work .
His knowledge is limited so he does not have any facts to back up his claims .
Specifically which OEM manufacturer has not supported the usage of the Goodyear Cargo G26 tire ?
Name One .
Show me .
You're Up big guy .
Goodyear. Not rated for ST Use. The discussions on tire applications have been rehashed many times. Use the search function for the slow gene pool.
MM49