cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trucks all mine!!

aarondeere
Explorer
Explorer
After 5 yrs my Ram is all paid off. Only has 70k miles so I have alot of life left in it. Good feeling to have.
Aaron
2010 Dodge 3500
2012 Voltage 3600 Epic
29 REPLIES 29

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
katoom400 wrote:
Congrats!

This month will be making the last payment on my 2010 Tundra , turned 100,000 miles last week....may drive it for a while, or may sell it and upgrade to a 2500? decisions...decisions...

LOL you drive almost as much as me My '10 F150 just turned 115,000
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
right, there seems to be a lot of 14's still on the lots checking autotrader.com

hoping next month the incentives will become more aggressive.

Bedlam
Watch those incentives - Some are only for current year leftovers and the selection is thinning out.

It never ends. Ten years ago I jumped up two classes of trucks thinking that's all I would need. Now I'm jumping up three more classes to get the 10K lb payload I want for the future. At the rate I'm going, a Class 8 HDT will be courting me if we decide to retire and full time instead of staying in a stick-n-brick.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
I'm holding out for 0% fir 60 on the ram, ford has .9% for 60, although even used rates aren't that bad at 2.9%....

still looking for a good deal on a 6.4 Ram or 6.2 Ford.

I wish I could stay with my paymentless Tundra, but I have outgrown the payload capacity..so back to payments if I want a 3/4 ton.

Bedlam
I completely agree with what you did at that discounted rate. When we bought our VW, they offered 1.9% financing with nothing down and the banks were then offering CD's at 4-5%. I milked that 1.9% loan for five years and still came out ahead even after paying taxes on the return. VW did not have a cash discount offer, so this was the best way to bring down the cost of the car.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Turning over new vehicles every five years takes a big hit in depreciation. The longer you can keep the vehicle, the less loss you have per year of ownership. If you want a new vehicle all the time, you are better off leasing but will always have a payment with nothing to show for it.

Making payments to someone other than yourself only makes sense if you can get a return on your money better than the interest rate they are charging you. If you have a choice of 0% interest or $2000 rebate and have the money sitting in the bank, you will still be better off with the rebate.

Emergency funds should be a different account than long or mid term savings. If your lifestyle or income level cannot afford to put away money for a future vehicle now, what makes you think you can afford that same vehicle on payments? It takes self control to save - Some require the money to be out of sight to avoid temptation while others can co mingle financials in one account.

I bought new trucks in 1983, 1989 and 2005 with plans on buying a 2015. My 1989 was my last financed truck and was paid off in 1993. Since that time I have been "paying myself forward".

To each their own, glad it works for you. I find that, for me, I can finance a vehicle for less interest than I earn on my money sitting in a brokerage account, so I financed DW's car at o.9% and will sit on a nice return on my money
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Bedlam
Turning over new vehicles every five years takes a big hit in depreciation. The longer you can keep the vehicle, the less loss you have per year of ownership. If you want a new vehicle all the time, you are better off leasing but will always have a payment with nothing to show for it.

Making payments to someone other than yourself only makes sense if you can get a return on your money better than the interest rate they are charging you. If you have a choice of 0% interest or $2000 rebate and have the money sitting in the bank, you will still be better off with the rebate.

Emergency funds should be a different account than long or mid term savings. If your lifestyle or income level cannot afford to put away money for a future vehicle now, what makes you think you can afford that same vehicle on payments? It takes self control to save - Some require the money to be out of sight to avoid temptation while others can co mingle financials in one account.

I bought new trucks in 1983, 1989 and 2005 with plans on buying a 2015. My 1989 was my last financed truck and was paid off in 1993. Since that time I have been "paying myself forward".

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for paying something off and having low debt. if you are the kind of person that will happily drive that vehicle for many many years.

The problem I see with a vehicle is that it's a loosing battle, I pay my truck off in 5 years, then I have to make five years worth of payments to myself and drive my truck for a total of 10 years to start all over again, either way I'm making that payment to either the bank or myself.

the other part is that it is hard to keep that money paid to myself in a separate account, the chances of an "emergency" popping up in those 5 years is very likely and then you are back to zero.

These days with 0% financing who wouldn't want a new vehicle every 5 years instead of every 10?

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Now that the truck is paid off, keep making payments to yourself for it's future replacement. When you are ready to buy that replacement, it will be a cash deal and the only interest was what was paid to you while you were saving. Once you get past this game of needing financing, you will be surprised how comfortable the next purchase will be.

This is the plan we've followed. Wife's 2013 Edge is paid for. We put about 400 a month a way to replace each car, every month. It's working out pretty well.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It's a great feeling! We just made the last payments on our house and rental property. Totally debt free, finally!! Time to save hard for retirement. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atta boy... Now enjoy that truck because now it is really yours.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Mayo, Woe is me
but my worst problem is:
That I have to put up with me.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Always have been curious why people post their financial status or marital problems on a public forum.But good for you to have reduced your debts.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I got my 97 paid off. Then somehow the son got possession of it.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman