Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Set Up Advice

DAKKA
Explorer
Explorer
HI All,

Found the forum today while doing some searches and research on tire set ups. My wife and I have made the move from a 5th wheel, to a travel trailer down to a TC.

I read the three threads on the 19.5s but have not found anything more recent than 2006/2007.

My question is. I have a 2017 F350 DRW. The factory OEM is 17in wheels and 10ply tires. I am concerned on the weight so looking to upgrade to a 19.5 rim and tire. I see there are no fitment issues and I know the ride is stiffer, etc. My main concern is drive ability. I am looking to put an HDR (traction) type tire all the way around. I hear the steer tires (HSR) can pull the truck round, etc.

Any advice on going from factory 17s, to 19.5s with a HDR traction tire all around. I will be using the truck off road at times as well.

Thanks in advance,
Brad
5 REPLIES 5

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
That's alotta camper but I wouldn't want to upgrade for fear of blowouts. Even if you don't like the OE tires there are a lot of tough tire options if you really think you'll be hitting some tough terrain with a dually and a gigantic TC.

I'd give it a shot first. Upgrading is easy if you feel then need after running on the 17s.

No augment though it will stiffen o the ride with the camper on, but at the expense of unloaded driving.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a few thoughts that are my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Not sure which F350 you have but assuming a diesel crew cab you have a carrying capacity, according to the Ford literature, of around 5,500 pounds. The Eagle Cap 1200 will probably weight in at a little over 6000 pounds wet so you'll be over the 14,000 pound GVWR by a bit because the truck probably weighs in at around 9,000 pounds with fuel and def. Assuming E rated tires on the truck the 4 rear tires probably have a carrying capacity in the vicinity of 12,000 pounds so they won't be your weak link. Your challenges with the heavy truck camper will be sorting out the suspension so you are comfortable with the way the truck handles under all conditions. Most folks here will tell you to go to a scale and weigh the truck without the camper and then with the camper loaded how you expect to travel. That plus driving it with the camper will tell you a lot about what you need to do to be comfortable and safe. Lots of good folks here who will chime in I am sure.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

DAKKA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply. I will be hauling an Eagle Cab 1200. I had the truck build with the heavy duty springs, sways and camper package from Ford. I have mainly just pulled 5th wheel 38 footer @ 16,000 lbs with my 2008 F350. With going to this new setup I went with a new truck as well.

I am concerned with sidewall blow outs but maybe I shouldn't be?

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Jimh425 said. If you have an F350 DRW you will run out of axle capacity long before you run out of tire capacity. What will you be hauling?
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main discussions around 19.5s are directed toward SRWs. Sure, F/G/H are tougher tires, but with a DRW, the 4 rear tires will far exceed the capacity of the rear axle on the F350.

I currently have Bridgestone M724 tires on front and Hankook DH-01s on rear both are F rated 225/R7019.5. The DH-01s were much louder and don't drive as well up front as the Bridgestones.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member