cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tired of the smoke and mirrors

Kayak_Kamper
Explorer
Explorer
My rant! Found a Trailor..Was I wrong!! Over a month of research and no better off. Ignorance is bliss. Want a 19 foot +/- tt. Where, ,How Who, can help. No standards..to compare.. Names/Models seem to change every year, who owns what, same trailor different badge name,? So Here is the choice. Ameri- lite 198bh . Jayco jay feather 18fdb. Then The AR-ONE, and something called a Fireside . Seems every time We pick a floor plan , You end up with one propane tank or no ac unit or 8/12/15 btu option ..wall or roof. then tire size.Tandem better?? 2 burner stove or three, ceiling fan in middle and bath.fold out windows vs slides..slide or no slide..Amp rating..How big of a fridge do you really need.. Think 2 coolers are plenty..Exhaust fan outside/ .Do not need outside or inside speakers! Outside shower. Windows that work! Tankless water heater. .Big sink. faucet fixture..cable. and 12 volt ..TV.I guess a trucker thing. Insulation ? Bug Proof.(ANTS, MICE, ETC) When you buy a car.. Sad to say..it is easier!!And that's a shame! Will Buy something in 2/3 weeks..Oh and to add to the dilemma ..These rv sales folks are quietly deceptive. Never ever saying...a straight answer. So far they would have me hitch up my old 10 speed from 1972 and say good luck!! Have a nice day! Soooo....Can anyone cut thru the brochures and just weigh in and say... hey! This Company makes three variations of that floor plan. Knowing that these 2 companies are the BEST!! Then go with the asthetics or dealer and good luck.. Then I would not feel like a sucker/ Chump . We Kayak, Camp. A lot.. This will be our First Trailor.. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!
16 REPLIES 16

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is Smoke and Mirrors even a brand of rv? oops sorry ??????? !! ??

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there. Fully understand your frustration and confusion....even those of us who have been hanging around here for several years wonder the same things you're asking about.

So, you know the size you're interested in. You live in FL, right??, so you don't likely need to worry about any snow/freezing weather issues, so check those things off your list. What is your tow vehicle?? If you don't already have the exact specs on your engine, transmission and rear end + the capacities, that's the first thing you need to get. How many does this TT need to accommodate for sleeping? Agree with others who use lists....it helps you remember what you thought 10 minutes ago.

For the sake of saving gas, suggest you start online with some of the larger wholesaler-type dealers, RVWholesalers and RVDirect...they carry a lot of different lines and you can zip through them with ease. You can do a lot of online learning from the comfort of your chair. You'll get floorplans and usually pix or videos. They usually list the specs of the trailer, so if it doesn't fit, go to the next one. They generally list them in order of size/weight, so if you don't find something acceptable closer to the top of that brand, get out of that section and on to the next manufacturer. Make your list of interesting models, then you can do a search for just that model and find dealers all over the country and come up with some general price range....likely you can knock some more off that price except from RVW or RVD. With those dealers, the price they email you is THE price. If they show MSRP, guestimate what you should pay at about 35% off, give or take. If you find some models that look promising, try to locate a dealer nearby or call the manufacturer and ask for the name and number of a dealer near you who either has ordered that model or at least carries that line. Then you hit the road. Agree that salesmen don't always have your best interest at heart, so do your homework and don't rely on their "expertise".

Know going into this that you'll likely not have everything you'd love to have in the size you are interested in....they can only fit just so much into a given space. Do you really want/need a sofa, do you want a stovetop only or one with an oven, do you need a bunkhouse. Somewhere along the line, you'll have to do some give and take. With all the zillion TTs out there, the perfect one for you really is there. You just have to find it. And, yes, manufacturers make identical models with 2 or more brands on them. Rockwood/Flagstaff are a perfect example. The only difference is the exterior graphics and possibly some upholstery variation. Just keep your lists and notes and you'll find it. Then we want pictures. Don't give up - it's there.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
TPUC wrote:
Ameri Lite is entry level and not very well built. Had one LEMON kept it less than a year and traded. Just my 2 cents. FYI buy your second camper first! It will save you money in the long run.

I don't doubt you may have had a lemon, they happen in every brand. Generally though you find few complaints from Amer-lite users including us that have had one for four years without a single issue. Ours is no pavement queen either. It handles the rough trails and extreme weather without missing a beat.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The OP makes a lot of good points, and it's not easy, you have to do your own research and there is a learning curve. The salespeople are not help and normally know less than you do. As to brands, Jayco, Arctic Fox, and Forest River are generally well respected brands but they all turn out clunkers from time to time.

We're very happy with our new Forest River Rockwood Windjammer, but it's one of their higher end lines and not entry level. They make entry level stuff too; just about everybody does. Lance and Open Range are 2 other brands I hear good stuff about.

As to brands or "labels" FR makes the same unit as mine under the "Flagstaff" name. Same trailer, same assembly line, different decals. My theory on why mfgs do this is so one dealer can sell Rockwood and the dealer down the street can sell Flagstaff and both have an "exclusive" on that line.

I know it's frustrating, but keep learning and getting info and it will all start to make sense. Education is the key. We looked and looked and researched for 6 months before we bought our first trailer, an Aljo made by Skyline and that was a very good trailer for the price, though somewhat "entry level".
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever we have decisions like this one, we make spread sheet showing the different choices across the top.

We list the pros in one section and the cons in another section, below the possible choices.

It makes it easy to compare the items affecting that decision that are important to us.

Does not always work, but it sure helps keep many details organized.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of choices, you need to decide what you want and need, then don't look for anything different.

Easier to purchase a car??? I disagree. Cars / trucks all appear very similar when comparing specs, but take it from a car junkie.... there are huge differences just like in the TT world.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Your first TT right? Don't stress, remember your 1st car? How long did you have it?

You probably won't keep this 1st RV long either.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a buddy that tried to compare everything from A to Z to find the "best" rig for them but as you have found it is impossible to get an "apples to apples" look at them. This one has more storage but this one holds more water- or whatever. My advice is make a list of the most important criteria to You. Maybe it is weight and water capacity- maybe its floorplan and color. Then research which companies have a better reputation for quality. Then go shopping. And you will probably end up with something completely different than you expected. But loosen up a little bit and have some fun with it. It ain't life or death.

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Ameri Lite is entry level and not very well built. Had one LEMON kept it less than a year and traded. Just my 2 cents. FYI buy your second camper first! It will save you money in the long run.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
yep LL was my second choice. would have been first if any of the small ones had a sink/vanity in the bath room.
bumpy

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
mlts22 wrote:
If you want a good, small TT, and are willing to pay for it, you can get a cargo trailer maker to custom make for you a TT with the amenities you want, perhaps even slide-outs. It should have an aluminum roof, smooth aluminum siding, and likely much stronger than an average mass-produced TT. It will be heavier, but that is one cost of something made well.

For mass produced models, I'm partial to Livin' Lite for trailers. All aluminum frame and exterior, Azdel interior. This means a leak means a wet spot in the camper, not the entire thing being worth scrap value because some imperceptible crack in the caulk wasn't fixed. Some people don't like the "space station" interior, but 10 years down the road, the LL will be still usable while almost all other TTs wind up as scrap.

I'll second this. We are very happy with our Camplite 21BHS from LivinLite. Easy to tow, light weight and well built with aluminum roof. They do cost more, but to my wife and I, well worth it.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a good, small TT, and are willing to pay for it, you can get a cargo trailer maker to custom make for you a TT with the amenities you want, perhaps even slide-outs. It should have an aluminum roof, smooth aluminum siding, and likely much stronger than an average mass-produced TT. It will be heavier, but that is one cost of something made well.

For mass produced models, I'm partial to Livin' Lite for trailers. All aluminum frame and exterior, Azdel interior. This means a leak means a wet spot in the camper, not the entire thing being worth scrap value because some imperceptible crack in the caulk wasn't fixed. Some people don't like the "space station" interior, but 10 years down the road, the LL will be still usable while almost all other TTs wind up as scrap.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
First and last TT?? Our first one, the one that was going to last for years, lasted just one year. Sold it to BIL who absolutely loves it, including all the many mods I did (not to mention the cost of them). We found it a bit cramped for us and what we wanted to do. We weren't specifically looking for a new TT, but were at an RV show and saw one we just had to have. We both fell in love instantly. Fast forward to today, 3 years after our first TT, we are now on our 3rd TT, lol! But this one is definitely the eon we're keeping for a long time. It took a lot of looking and researching and using a TT to know what features we wanted.

Best advice I can give is go to at least one RV show and check 'em all out. Then spend hours upon hours reading this and other forums for all sorts of info. Renting a unit might also be a good idea. There's a LOT of things you won't discover until you actually own a TT and use it.

Going to dealer's lots can be fruitless and many don't have answers and some will just try and upsell you to something bigger. Manufacturers websites often don't have enough info.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
You are making it way to hard. Look them over until you find the one you want, not what is available at a dealer. Of the brands you mentioned I would think Jayco would be the way I would go. Salesman are salesman and not to be relied on for good information. I think you should prepare for the fact that quality and RV are rarely mentioned in the same sentence in a good way. You haven't even delved into the whole "what can I tow" conversation yet.

X2, relax your stressing over nothing. Of those brands you mentioned the all aluminum Arilyte or the Jayco are probably the better ones. Give you hint though, at that size TT none of them are high quality because there isn't enough profit margin at the required selling price to do much extra, nobody would pay that much more for a smaller TT when they could get a bigger one just as cheap. That small a 13.5 AirCon unit is more than plenty.

If your stressing like this you might want to rethink RVing. They are not hands off like a vehicle (yes a vehicle is very hands off compared to a TT). They require owner maintenance and care routinely. They are more like a project, not a toy.