cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To buy or not to buy insurance?

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my old travel trailer after ten years of use and I just ordered a new rig that tops out at $30,000. I never bought insurance on my old trailer because I paid cash and did not finance. I'm paying cash for this rig too. Since I have more money in this trailer I think I might buy it just in case, at least for the first two years I own it. It would cost me around $600 per year with a thousand dollar deductible. What is the opinion of everyone else.
22 REPLIES 22

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
If understand my insurance correctly If I am towing my trailer and I get in an accident I am covered for their damages. If I am towing and somebody hits me their insurance assuming they have it it is covered. What is not covered is comprehensive or collision on the trailer. So I have a comprehensive and a collision policy on the trailer. I just paid/renewed it the other day it was 197 for the year
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
it might be covered under your tow vehicle when it is attached.

When parked in your driveway might be covered under your homeowners.

If stolen from a campground then it would not be covered.

$30 k is a lot to lose, but if you can get rates down to $200 then for sure get it. Have a higher deductible maybe and get the rates lower. You will not be getting the retail price you paid if you make a claim. If you could lose that $5,000 trailer you used to have and not be put out on the street, then you can lose $5,000 from a deductible maybe....

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I had a trailer, my standard auto policy on the truck covered damage that the trailer CAUSED if I was in an accident while towing. It provided NO coverage for damage to the trailer while it was parked.

I picked up an additional policy on the trailer to cover it while it wasn't being towed - hail, fire, flood, etc.

If you're in a position where a 30k loss wouldn't hurt, then don't get insurance. If it will make you lose sleep, then get the insurance.

Either way, find out exactly what your policy covers, and when it is in effect. Your auto policy agent may tell you "sure, it's covered!", but might be only when being towed, and only for damage to others, leaving you with a pile of pieces.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd get insurance...I have insurance and my TT was not financed...but $600 a year is high IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
witch are you asking about insurance if it breaks they fix it insurance? auto insurance yes,, insurance to fix things that break NO. you or a mobil tech can handle it cheaper than a dealer and much faster. dealer has to get approval to do repairs takes weeks then they have to fix it more weeks ,order the $5.part more weeks. so your rv sat on there lot four 5wks to repair a $5. part.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Only YOU can answer this question.
What kind of responses do you think you’ll get that will sway your decision?

Surprised some folks don’t post on here asking opinions on what to have for breakfast or what to wear that day.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance (collision/comprehensive) on my TT is about $200/yr as a rider on my auto policy with $1000 deductible. I highly recommend it, but your rate seems a bit high.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Can you afford a $30000 (-1000 deductable, 600yr premiums) if something should happen, fire, water, accident, that totalled your investment?
Maybe re think after 5 or 10 years.

Ken
Edit added, from another recent post, stolen.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.