cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Tailgate or not to tailgate.

hotrod_32
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F250 Super Duty Crew cab short box. I an purchasing a NorthStar 850SC. This camper is designed to be used on a short or long box according to factory information so COG shouldn't be an issue. Camper does not have skirts and dealer said ok to run with tailgate done. I have heard both Yea and Nay on this practice. I would appreciate some more input from forum members.
2011 Ford SuperDuty F250 FX4 Diesel Crew cab
2004 North Star 850 SC
19 REPLIES 19

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
I had a long camper on a short bed and would leave the tailgate on when I carried it. I never had a problem myself with damage when leaving it on and liked the fact that I had it when I got to where I was going. I still have a short bed with a Lance 855 and have to remove my tailgate when in use. I don't like not having the tailgate when I get to where I am going.. JMTC
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nay. Won't help being on, but could damage the tailgate.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Nay. Camper doesn't need it and it's only going to do damage to the tailgate.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take it off to save weight. With a TC, especially on a 250 diesel 4x4, you'll need to save weight anywhere you can.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
That what salesman say that don't THINK!

Tailgate down, rocks punching dings and holes and scratches all over the TG as you drive.

Not a good idea ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic