cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To TC'ers who have bought new trucks

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking.... ONLY in the thinking stage right now, of a new 2016 F-450 or F-550. They're awfully proud of those things.
There's nothing what so ever wrong with mine, it hauls what I have fine, but it is almost 15 years old, and the new ones have a lot to offer.

So I have some questions for those who have been in my situation - You already had a truck set up for your TC, and you bought a brand new one.

* How did you like it?
* Did you find after you bought it you still had to upgrade it to haul your TC(besides tie-downs/hitch)?
* Did you notice improvements or not in handling?
* Power is a given - the new ones are locomotives on 6 wheels--was that a deciding factor?
* Any significant mileage changes?
* Overall - are you glad you did it?

I'm really looking for input from the few that have F450's/F550's if possible.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
70 REPLIES 70

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its the system.
Canada is social country.
I grew up in communism.
To fill up 5 gallon tank in Fiat 126 cost me daily wages, while the Fiat (close cousin to Fiat 500) cost 2 years earnings.
So you still complain?

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
markowwes wrote:

No worries about weights, power or milage now!

How about worry about new truck payment? 😉

In 2008 the Canadian dollar was par with the US dollar, Ford had no trouble with Dealers in the States Selling to Canadians, they even honoured the Warranty. For exactly the same truck and deck in Canada we paid $30,000.00 less in Montana. Show me anyone who won’t drive 10 hr one way for 30K. I checked it out this year, Ford stopped allowing new US vehicles to be sold North. With the $1.20 we have to pay for $1.00US. if isn’t worth it anymore anyway, but there is still a 20K difference from Canada to US price on the same truck. Can anyone explain that?

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
“Kayakin” Alum-Line built the deck, check out their website Alum-Line.com. I placed the order with Helena Trailer Sales. They did an excellent Job and will build to your drawings.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
markowwes wrote:

How about worry about new truck payment? 😉

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
My F-450 was titled commercial by the previous owners, but was an easy remedy at the DMV to change that.

The "commercial" in the registration applies only to paying "weigh fee" what depends on your declaration can cost you $360 alone. EVERY SINGE YEAR.
That also allows you to park in commercial loading zones.
You can avoid that by loading a camper and going to DMV for inspection and register it as "RV" (they have different name for it, but everybody knows what it is).
It doesn't have to be cabover camper and camper shell will do.
But don't get pullover without one.

kayakin
Explorer
Explorer
markowwes wrote:
Went from a 99 F350 Super Duty to a 2008 F550 Super Duty, had the service body built to fit the camper…..it may cost a little more, you will be more than happy with the outcome. We purchased ours out of Helena Montana, will never look back.

Who built the bed for you? In Helena?

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Went from a 99 F350 Super Duty to a 2008 F550 Super Duty, had the service body built to fit the camper…..it may cost a little more, you will be more than happy with the outcome. We purchased ours out of Helena Montana, will never look back.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
towpro wrote:
in the US it depends on what your hauling. Carrying freight for profit? even your 1500 is DOT regulated. I have seen 450-and up with "not for hire, private RV towing" and I bet this was prompted by the owners being tired of getting pulled over.

I have seen that as well and was wondering why, that makes sense.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
in the US it depends on what your hauling. Carrying freight for profit? even your 1500 is DOT regulated. I have seen 450-and up with "not for hire, private RV towing" and I bet this was prompted by the owners being tired of getting pulled over.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My F-450 was titled commercial by the previous owners, but was an easy remedy at the DMV to change that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Commutator wrote:
I'm seriously jealous of the class 4/5 trucks you're talking about. I wanted to buy a class 5 C&C and add a truck camper body -- until I found out how my home jurisdiction of Ontario, Canada treats such rigs. A CDL is bad enough, but all the paperwork required such as pre-trip inspections, log books, commercial operator records, etc. just wasn't worth it for me. I bought a 3500 with pickup box and live with the limitations. I didn't really want slides anyway.

Since no one has mentioned any of this I presume you are lucky enough to have some sort of RV exemption.

...Fred

It isn't that there's an exemption for RV use, an F450/F550 isn't considered a commercial vehicle, at least here in the US.
F650 is my understanding when you start to play with the big boys.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Commutator
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously jealous of the class 4/5 trucks you're talking about. I wanted to buy a class 5 C&C and add a truck camper body -- until I found out how my home jurisdiction of Ontario, Canada treats such rigs. A CDL is bad enough, but all the paperwork required such as pre-trip inspections, log books, commercial operator records, etc. just wasn't worth it for me. I bought a 3500 with pickup box and live with the limitations. I didn't really want slides anyway.

Since no one has mentioned any of this I presume you are lucky enough to have some sort of RV exemption.

...Fred
2012 Chev 3500 Dmax CC DRW 4x4; 2008 Lance 1055; 2011 Lightning 28' car hauler; Torklift Superhitch and Supertruss; TL tiedowns/fastguns; TL Stable Loads

Bedlam
I have to agree it will not add much value to the selling price, however it may make it more desirable than the other trucks currently being sold. Although I kept my StableLoads and SuperTruss, the Torklift frame mounts and SuperHitch stayed on the F250 I sold along with the 19.5" wheels, Rancho adjustable shocks, Firestone air bags and double DIN in-dash GPS.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Boatycall wrote:
.... I'm looking at 19.5's, also looking at 88mm turbo, Stage 1 injectors, custom program...and that adds up to about another $8k.
Or I can go get a 2011-2015 F-550.

I think it's money better spent upgrading the whole truck rather than putting a bunch more upgrades in the one you already have. When it comes time to sell the current truck, if you put more money in to it, very little of the cost can be recouped on those items - they only typically add value to the person that originally bought them, not the next owner of the truck.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator