cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tongue weight question

dcf
Explorer
Explorer
Still considering our TT purchase. Slightly confused about tongue weight in one regard.

I know tongue weight should be at least 10% of total trailer weight. 15% is probably better.

If that's the case, should I be avoiding trailers that come from the factory with a tongue weight under the 10% figure, or are these somehow configured to work well in this situation? Looked at one with a dry weight of about 5200 and a tongue weight of 450.

Easy to figure that I'll be at 10%+ when I have it fully packed if I pack most everything in the front pass-through area, but I can't imagine they're built so they can't go down the road safely before they're packed to the gills, can they?
17 REPLIES 17

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
dcf wrote:
BobnDot, yea, I normally would, but my proposed tow vehicle has a 720# max for tongue weight, so I'm somewhat restrained. Trying to keep myself out of trouble. And there's at least one unit I have my eye on, so I'm going to have to go this alone a little more than I'd like.

The limit on tongue weights is why I think manufacturers use a 10% number. It's not wrong but likely not accurate for how you will use it. I have a 950 lb TW limit. That and cargo, which is influenced by TW, are my limiting factors. I'm fine on gross combined weight and tow rating.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
Many times the TV will have 2 hitch weights. One with WD and one without WD.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The CAT scales indicated my 5k TT gained well over 1000 lbs. once we loaded it. The tongue weight of as well above the supposed 450 lbs. My TT design put the storage in the front.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what you are looking at really plays a factor with tongue weights. I have the type of toyhauler that has a front deck for toys. I am in the ideal range with no toys, but by adding the quads and generator I am running around 19% TW. I am set up with my truck fine and it tows great, but I know it is front heavy, lol.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at a non slide models.

Look at the GVWR like 6000-6500# or less.

that's where you will be when all loaded up. TW will be about 12% in general .

Ex : Jayco jay flight 23RB or MB offers queen island walk around bed, dinette, decent bathroom and sofa in a non slide unit . You also save weight by using aluminum siding rather than filon .

If you park somewhere then fill it with water, you save the transport weight of the water. Jayco ELITE package offers a 90 gal. water capacity , nice for a boondocking longer stay .

dcf
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, and when I look at a unit, I probably need one along, too.

Thanks.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
dcf wrote:
Yea, that's the total tongue weight the vehicle can handle. Not a question of a heavier hitch. It's related to overall wheelbase and suspension.

ok, that makes it harder, but doable. Just make sure to count propane, batteries (you may only need one?), etc. It all adds up... I usually say, the weights are guidelines, if you are over a few lbs, it will not break the moment you go over, but having a tongue weight scale will payoff when loading also, you can see exactly (as accurate as the scale is) how much each item adds or subtracts to tongue weight

dcf
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, that's the total tongue weight the vehicle can handle. Not a question of a heavier hitch. It's related to overall wheelbase and suspension.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
dcf wrote:
BobnDot, yea, I normally would, but my proposed tow vehicle has a 720# max for tongue weight, so I'm somewhat restrained. Trying to keep myself out of trouble. And there's at least one unit I have my eye on, so I'm going to have to go this alone a little more than I'd like.

Is that the hitch limit or payload or ??

If it is the hitch limit, perhaps you can get aftermarket hitch that is stronger (as long as your vehicle can handle it)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"built so they can't go down the road safely" 10% is a easy number to figure so nothing scientific about it. Is 8.6% (70 lbs less in this case) going to make it want to sway... not likely. Yes, the more tongue weight you have the better and soon we will hear that it's not 10%, it should be 12% or even 15%, but from my many decades of towing trailers it is not that high.

OP, like you said... by the time you load it up you'll be over 10%.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
They sell tongue scales. Good item to have.

dcf
Explorer
Explorer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy the floorplan that suits you, that's more important.
When you have enough truck and it's hitch is set up correctly , the small differences in TW becomes a little less of an issue.

Those weight numbers will change once you load it up with your personal stuff as well as the trailer options. I don't pay attention to dry weights.
Take it to a scale , weigh it when you load it all up and you are able to move things around in the trailer for proper weight distribution.

Sometimes you have to use straps to secure things and always try to pack things the same way. I use my phone and take pics of my packing plan.

Your hitch has adjustments to make things feel or ride better. This should be done at the dealership when they fit your truck to your trailer. It should all be set up for you correctly.
After that is all done , the loading of the trailer should be a conscious effort by you . Try your best to pack things evenly distributed, to compliment the original hitch set up of your combo.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
8iron wrote:
Any units that I have looked at don't include propane or battery in the brochure/UVW tongue weights. Some manufacturers may but not the ones I've looked at.

x2. so first since battery(s) and propane tank(s) are almost over the tongue add 75lbs/battery and 30 lbs for each 7.5 gallon propane tank or 20lbs for each 5 gallon tank.

and then figure your real tongue weight will be between 150% and 200% of the factory unloaded tongue weight.

As an example, mine had 695lbs as the unloaded tongue weight. Actual loaded tongue weight w/o any water 1250 lbs, with full water tank, 1400lbs.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!