cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tonneau Bakflip F1 vs Undercover Flex

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing some reading, for sure I want a tri-fold hard panel tonneau cover for my GMC. I have read many reviews, I like the design of the undercover Flex, but I read more positive feedback on the Bakflip. Although, there are both good and bad for both, most of the negative reviews for Undercover are from 2013.
For the Undercover, I like that it does not touch the cab of the truck when fully flipped open, as well as the strap that lock down the second flip vs using a bungie cord on the Bakflip F1.

Both seem to seal well preventing water leaks, hoping to get some feedback. The price seems close enough that it is not a deciding factor
Thanks
Marc
10 REPLIES 10

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Even though Bakflip out numbers Undercover by 7-2, the price difference came out to $350 less for the Undercover, so that is what I decided on. Hopefully it works out ok, we are picking up the new truck probably Wed.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Can't speak for the Undercover flex. But I have A Bak Flip G2 that has taken lots of abuse and held up great.
For Durability and longevity I prefer the Bak Flip.
The Bak Flip appears to be a bit more rugged. I don't mind a dent or 2 providing the unit continues to work well. Ruggedness and durability are more important than price for me
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Johndeere4955 wrote:
I had a Bakflip G2 on my short box Chev. I liked the Bakflip 'cause of it having four panels which is sturdier and easier to take on and off which I had to do from time to time. I wasn't to crazy about it touching the cab when it was fully lifted up so I took it off when I was using it to move my quad around.

I now have a Undercover Flex on my short box Ford and it has only three panels which makes it flimsy when opening it up and taking it on and off. It doesn't touch the cab when fully opened, but I don't trust the supports as they look like they would break easily. The Flex cost me $175 Cdn less than a new Bakflip G2 so I went for it because of price savings.

The Bakflip comes with thick quality rubber cushions to mount so that when all 4 panels are flipped up, it rests against those and not the cab or rear window. I haul stuff with all 4 panels flipped up and the whole bed exposed, and the rubber cushions are so good I see no risk of damage whatsoever.

Johndeere4955
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Bakflip G2 on my short box Chev. I liked the Bakflip 'cause of it having four panels which is sturdier and easier to take on and off which I had to do from time to time. I wasn't to crazy about it touching the cab when it was fully lifted up so I took it off when I was using it to move my quad around.

I now have a Undercover Flex on my short box Ford and it has only three panels which makes it flimsy when opening it up and taking it on and off. It doesn't touch the cab when fully opened, but I don't trust the supports as they look like they would break easily. The Flex cost me $175 Cdn less than a new Bakflip G2 so I went for it because of price savings.
2014 Chaparral 343 RLTS Fifth Wheel
2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
I went with the undercover flex. The bakflip was painted aluminum and to get the bakflip model that wouldn't dent (hail) or scratch was a little more than the undercover.

That would be the Bakflip Fibermax. That's the one I have. If you shop on the web, you can find very competitive prices for it. Check Autoanything.com. They have a good price on it, plus right now running 20% off on orders over $99, plus I believe free shipping. I have bought many things from this site -- almost always unbeatable prices, and great customer service (no, I have no connection with them, other than a satisfied customer).

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with the undercover flex. The bakflip was painted aluminum and to get the bakflip model that wouldn't dent (hail) or scratch was a little more than the undercover.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We have the backflip with 6 1/2 foot bed. We tow a 34 ft fifth wheel. We have NO problems with the cover....works beautifully and we're VERY pleased with it.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Bakflip Fibermax on a 2500 Ram Cummins truck with the 6'4" bed and like it a lot. We have a TT a little over 28', and at the time I bought the bed cover, did not have plans to switch to a 5th Wheel. But plans always change, and now we do plan to get a 5th wheel.

The Bakflip has 4 sections, so one can fold back the first three sections flat onto the last section, and there are loops to bungee them down in that almost 3/4 open bed position. I don't yet know if there will be enough clearance to tow a fifth wheel with the bed cover in that position, but I believe that there probably will be. And I think maybe I have read of others towing fifth wheels with a standard bed truck with the Bakflip cover in that position. I prefer the 4 section bed covers to the 3 section ones, more versatile I believe.

So far I haven't really noticed any water leaks, though with any bed cover other than the fiberglass type that cover over the bed rails, it is possible to get a slight bit of water inside the bed. The Bakflip has drain tubes to channel water from the bed cover side rails through the bed and out.

Good luck!

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got the Backflip G2 on my 95 silverado and love it. way better than the old canopy and drier too.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I own the Flex. The deciding factor for me was that I could get the Flex for $100 less through my local parts supplier. Otherwise I think they're typically $20 bucks apart. I would had gone with Bakflip Fibermax if that were the case. Even though it touches the cab, it has 4 folds. So with a short bed and 5'er setup, there seems like less chance of interference with hitch and kingpin operation with the front segment folded down versus the undercover flex. If you have a long bed, then this isn't an issue. However, the nice thing with the Flex is that I have an Impromptu headache rack should I need it for an errand.

However, I think I'm narrowing my RV choice to a bumper pull. Still doing as my signature says though...

*EDIT - Pictures Below*

E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)