cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summerwind 811S weight

analog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi just picked up a 2002 Summerwind 811S camper. It is the long bed version. I'm concerned about the weight and am wondering if anyone else on this board owns an 811S that I can compare weights with.

I weighed my truck before camper (with about 1/4 tank diesel):

Front Axle: 4650 lbs
Rear Axle: 3100 lbs

Then, I weighed with the camper (with about 7/8 tank diesel):
Front Axle: 4950
Rear Axle: 6500

The H2O tank was nearly empty, and the holding tank about 1/2 full. No other supplies on-board. From what it seems, this camper added 3500 lbs to my truck! From what I've been able to find, it should weigh around 2500 lbs wet.

That's quite a discrepancy. Can anyone help explain the extra 1000 lbs? The camper doesn't appear to have any major things added to it. It has factory A/C and a small microwave.

My truck is a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW with 5.9 Cummins.
2002 Summerwinds 811S
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, 6spd, SRW, 5.9L Cummins
8 REPLIES 8

analog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the answers and weights I can compare to. The as-built weight sticker isn't there that I can find. I assume it was on the cabinet door above the range hood which was removed to make way for the microwave.

Overall, this is a very nice camper and well built. I'll keep it, but I'm disappointed that the weight is so much more than the listed "wet" weight. I'm getting new tires tomorrow (Nitto Dura Grappler) which have a few hundred pounds of capacity more than my current Michelin AT2. That will get me enough capacity for my needs.

I'm coming from a 1971 Kit Camper, so this Summerwind is quite an upgrade!
2002 Summerwinds 811S

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I assume the as built weight sticker has been removed? Summerwind was pretty good at giving real weights. The brochure weights, dry or wet, still reflect camper with NO options. Elec jacks, AirC, awnings, microwave, generator etc. Though 1000# seems high on 811. That would include tiedowns etc (diesel fuel @~7# per gal)what you load with camper. Bottom line though is scale weights.

We seriously were looking at a S/W 911S-really nice camper, but the real optioned out weight numbers put it out of our range. But it was an expected 3500# plus gear, Your 811 weights kinda puzzling. Irregardless if thats what it weighs...its addressing
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to reality vs the dream world of MFG list weight. Now check what your tires max load is. I think you will find that you are getting really close or over the limit with no gear on board. This is why you will see so many of us spending $3-5k to convert over to 19.5 wheel and tire size just to avoid the possibility of a overweight induced blow out.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Terrick_down_Un
Explorer
Explorer
G'day, we have a 2002 model 911S with a couple of options. Ours weighs in at 2759 when empty...we usually have an extra 500 pounds of "got to haves".
So if you balance between ours and Itchey feet, you should get a good idea.
Enjoy

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was built in 99, came W/ microwave and elec. jacks -- real basic -- weight around 2400#
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Surf_Ram
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Summerwind 811S with the slide and it weighs close to your camper at 3350 empty. The specs are very optomistic with any camper, I have found them to weigh more. The spec is dry weight with zero options, then add the weight of the options.
02 Dodge 2500 standard cab 2wd CTD 6 speed
03 Summuerwind 811S

analog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Itchey, I see you have a Summerwind 811. Looks like the non-slide version. Can you tell me how much yours weighs?

I guess I'm wondering how accurate the Summerwind specifications are. I was able to find an old website of theirs that lists the specs of their models:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020607153248/http://www.summerwindcampers.com/models.html

My camper appears to be in very good shape and 100% factory original.
2002 Summerwinds 811S

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Might try putting "Summerwind" in the search box @ top, may find your answer there or have the name of someone who has one like yours.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.