cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TorkLift GlowStep on Bigfoot, How to Install? (Solved)

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
With the twins getting bigger and an up coming week long camping trip, I'm thinking it is time to change our rickety Brophy steps out for something a little more solid. I know Torquelift is about the only option which I am fine with but what I am not certain about is how to install. Looks like the steps come with a mounting plate that has six holes in it. The problem is, on the fiberglass shell of the Bigfoot camper, I don't think there is anything really solid for screws to bite into on the back side.

Has anyone done this swap on a Bigfoot before and if so, what did you do for attaching the steps to the camper?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
13 REPLIES 13

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good job using the jack mounts. That stiffens things up very well.
Great design too!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That's quite engineering you made.
How steady is the tall plate, when heavy person walks up?
For low step being higher than other, I was carrying additional step below.
With adjustable legs I could fit in to any situation and it was also good for seating at campfire.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Well, after taking everyone's suggestions and specifically HMS Beagle whom I credit entirely for this concept. Finally got around to a solution to get those steps mounted. This I would consider a bit of a "prototype" in that the welds and such aren't dressed much and we had to fudge a few things. Still, I am very happy with the outcome and will be using this for many years to come I think.

Thank you all for your suggestions and thanks most to HMS Beagle for his idea!

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Stow N'go bracket is day and night difference

+1

The best mod I ever made.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You are in metal fabrication, right?
So what it takes to fabricate a bracket?
The topic I linked above kind of brainstorm possible setups and Stow N'go bracket is day and night difference.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks! Pictures are always helpful! I think I'm going to start off with just making the current stairs work with the existing bracket to get us through our next trip. Then over Winter I'm going to puzzle out something a little better.

HMS Beagle had a really had a pretty nice setup that I did some drawing work to eventually duplicate. I have the drawings but not sure if I have the time to get it done before our next trip.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

SAMRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Hereโ€™s some pictures

A shot from underneath

SAMRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same year and model Bigfoot as you. My earliest mod to my camper was to install TorkLift GlowSteps. It was a simple straight forward install using the OEM step brackets and the Torkift adapters. My only recommendation is that you use a mechanical lift to hold the steps in place as you install them. They are heavy! I used a motorcycle lift and did the install by myself. The steps are a wonderful improvement over the OEM step.

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem when I got my new steps. I do have a big foot. I took the bar off of the Big foot stairs and moved it over to the new steps. It was a while ago but I seem to remember that it was a tight fit and I had to do a little prying but it worked.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure if you remember my install of the Glow Steps etc. Wayne, "Reddog1" fabricated my porch and then I later installed my Glow Steps.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer

This is a pic of the OEM bracket on 2002 BF 9.6
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
OLD TOPIC

I am specifically looking for other Bigfoot owners because our campers are a little more unique to work with.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer