cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torque Flex Axals

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for comments/opinions on these. Good, Bad? Looking at possible purchase of trailer with these. Tandem unit.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I have both, and have had and pulled both over the years. My take on it is the main advantage for me of the torflex style is the fact it allows the floor of the trailer to built lower to the ground. Important for a cargo trailer I had ( made it easier to step into for loading ). Same for a current horse trailer I have. The lower floor height is nice for loading.
I can't say that I have noticed any real difference in the handling between the two types. At least in theory, the idea of the trailer being lower to the ground should result in better handling, but again, for me, from a practical manner there seems to be little to no noticeable difference.
It's true that in time, the rubber rods can and generally do settle and harden. Most folks just replace the entire axle at that time. Common repair when folks are restoring old Airstreams.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both systems and found no difference in the handling. My preference is leaf springs for the same reasons that 69 Avion stated.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got them on my 2003 Prowler and they have been fine and I like them.

Not sure how you tell the rubber is cracked, since I've never seen any 'exposed' rubber on mine?

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
I had them on my Palomino and loved the way they felt while towing. Mine was only 12 years old when I sold it so I never had an issue and can't speak for longevity past that. If you feel the trailer is too low, you need to remove the axle and place a block (2"x2" tube or solid stock) between the axle bracket and the frame rail...not a huge project for the right person or shop.

Edit: The more I thought about it...I realize that I had the AL-KO version of that type of rubber/torsion axles on mine. The concept is pretty much the same but with 3 pieces of rubber instead of 4.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber torsion suspensions usually ride real good as individual axles. The pluses are that they are independant and the manufacturer can use the steel tube as part of the actual trailer structure so that they are easier to install.
The down side is that the rubber usually lasts 20-25 years and sometime after that timeframe, they start riding rough because the rubber is getting hard. The rubber, in most cases, is not easily replacable, so you need to replace the axle. They don't have an equalizer on tandem axle setups like the leaf springs so that each axle may have to take more of a load than what they are rated for.

Example: If the suspension travel is 5" and you are going over a 7" speed hump, your 8,000# trailer will have all 8,000# (minus the tongue weight) on one axle that may only be rated for 4,000#. Some of the rubber torsion manufacturers recommend rating each individual axle at 1.25 times what the load is intended to be. So your 8,000# trailer should actually use two 5,000# axles.
Some manufacturers don't recommend them for triple axles because the tremendous side load can pull the torsion arm out of the axle tube.

They are a good axle setup and if I found the "right" trailer with them, I wouldn't turn down the trailer because it has a rubber torsion suspension. I prefer the leaf springs with the equalizer on multiple axle trailers. The nicest is the leaf spring split in the center for an independant suspension. These were made by Dexter and are rarely used because it is more expensive and there needs to be a center member on the trailer frame to attach the center pivot point.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have them and my 25' travel trailer rides like it is on rails. Once, I left a half filled soda can on the kitchen counter top. I logged about 75 miles and it was still in the same spot. The Torflex axles tend to make a lower riding aspect to a trailer. They are also not as good bearing load over poor surfaces like back roads and logging trails as conventional spring suspension. My Starcraft is 44 yrs old and the rubber portions of the axles are still together and not cracking. I do have shock absorbers, too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I can not speak of the Dexter system

but years ago.. I had a popup camper for motorcycles. using a similar system

when the rubber went bad.. special tools and a very large hydraulic press is needed..
being mine came from Europe... not fixable within a normal budget.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Just a comment on them. I owned the Dexter ez-flex that I got rid off due to the rubber premature failure. I watched the video that was posted and the rubber on the video already was showing signs of cracking. What will happen in a few years of weather on it. Just my 2cents.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
also some 5th wheels are going to the IS axle system....disk brakes for tandem around $5500.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The correct term is Torflex Axle

This video describes it all: Dexter Torflexยฎ Suspension Axles

I have never seen them used on an RV, but I will never own another cargo trailer without them. The make the trailer ride smoother.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator