cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a vehicle on it's wheels

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be quite RV related, But I want to get a second vehicle and tow it behind my truck with all wheels on the pavement. The second vehicle might be a 4x4.

Is it as simple as putting it in neutral and tow it?

I want to control the towed vehicle's lights by my truck. Could I just hook up to the trailer wiring on both vehicles?

How do I avoid killing the towed vehicle's battery?
8 REPLIES 8

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
:S
Old-Biscuit wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
I am looking at older Jeeps. It sounds like those can be.

I saw the link for each model year. I wish they had a simple drop down menu. It would be much quicker.

Yeah......it's a real pain now a days doing research

It is easier than waaaaay back when, when all you had were cars that were only human powered!

I still think it could be made more user friendly

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

I saw the link for each model year. I wish they had a simple drop down menu. It would be much quicker.

[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
swimmer_spe wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will get better answers if you ask a MOD to move it to the "Dinghy Towing" section and yes it's RV related there. I learn the hard way that just because a 4X4 Pathfinder has N position in the transfer does not mean it can be towed 4 down. See "How I tow "below.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It kind of depends on the vehicle you are towing. the owners manual will tell you if you can tow it 4 wheels down or if you need a dolly or driveshaft disconnect.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not all vehicles can be tow 4 down....even 4X4

Before buying VERIFY it can be towed 4 down and what restrictions may be applicable (usually good info about towing is in the vehicles owners manual---available on-line so it is easy to check each particular vehicle you might have in mind)

Yes a trailer plug can be used....

Battery.....some times a fuse can be pulled

Again BEFORE buying VERIFY 4 down towing and investigate 'BRAKING'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31