cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep GC Diesel - Coachmen

Arizona_AJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Jeep GC Diesel, 4X4, 6,800 GVW, rated for towing 7,200.

Am thinking of purchasing a Coachmen 192RBS, which at 3,810 lbs dry would work fine, I believe, but I really like the space in the 233 RBS, at 4,746 lbs dry. Is the 233 RBS too heavy, in anyones opinion?

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
As someone stated, you need the actual loaded weight. Our first hard-sided RV had a dry weight of 3,800 lbs and weighed 5,500 lbs with full propane tanks, 230 gallons of fresh water, a week's worth of food and beverages, box of firewood, and all of the stuff that stayed in the camper.

We have a 2014 eocdiesel and also had a 2008 CRD and both Grand Cherokees had no problems with 19 and 23 foot trailers.

Arizona_AJ
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone pulling aLayton Dart 218?

Arizona_AJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded. All good comments

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I was towing a Roo 183 with a Jeep Liberty Diesel, and no issues. You should be fine.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your RAWR will be the limiting factor, (load on rear axle) especially if you load up the Cherokee.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
It'll get repeated a lot of times

forget about tow capacity, focus on payload capacity - most American light vehicles are short changed in that department
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You will want to look closely at the hitch weight of that 233RBS. A 635 lb dry hitch could easily be an 800-900 lb hitch when you're ready to camp. Have the dealer stack the LP and battery on the tongue, and weigh it. Then think about where the water tanks are; is the 49 gallon fresh tank near the front? Then think about what you'd stow where in that trailer, and how much heavy stuff you might have near the front (don't forget that exterior storage compartment). And since this is a 25' TT, will you use a WD hitch with sway control? Add the weight of that device, it's part of your hitch weight.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Nope the 233RBS is well with in the GC tow ratings. If it where me I would worry more about the length of the RV more than the weight. As a shorter WB vehicle it will be subject to sway more so than a pickup with a full frame.

If you have the tow package you have a rear air suspension with auto leveling. as long as you stay with in the Max tow rating and no longer (IMO) 27' max you will be fine. You should go to the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel forums and see what this vehicle is tow and get first hand info from the owners of these vehicles.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Forget about the dry weight. What is the trailers GVWR. Unless you plan on never putting anything in the camper the dry weight doesn't do a lot of good.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

Moved from Forum Technical Support