Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Heavy with Goodyear DuraTrac

danr1707
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I use studded Goodyear DuraTracs LT275/70R18 in the winter. They are really great in snow.

Thinking about using a set of DuraTrac for summer towing as well.

Anybody doing heavy 5th wheel towing with DuraTracs?

-Dan
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS
2017 F-350 6.7 4x4 CC LB SRW Lariat
2 Parakeets

Senior Member only because I've asked over 200 stupid questions!
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
IME, they will handle the weight as well as any other tire of the same capacity.
I found, on the set I had in CO, lots of I70 western slope commuting, that the tread pattern on the Duratracs seemed to not hold up as well, cupped more on the outsides, compared to the BFG ATs and PRo Comp at and mt tires I had doing the same duty.
Can't get away from that completely in he mountains, driving exclusively twisty roads, but the Duras were not the best in this situation.
Had several sets of Duras on my fleet in Alaska and this did not happen but they were driven almost exclusively on ice and snow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I run the same size with studs for the winter as well, I've had to tow my 5er around town for the suspension work and to the dealer for the free winterizing and tutorial(on this particular unit) and to my surprise the tires felt very solid and stable. That being said I wouldn't live with the noise during the summer months. Too many good much quieter AT's out there for much less money.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We had duratracs on our F250 and towed our 9K tt around the country for 6 months full timing. We liked them a lot and had no problems with them. So much so, they are now on our Jeep toad. We sold the truck when the tires had about 40K miles - more than half of them towing. We put them on because we spent our non-towing time off road in sand, dirt, mud, and snow. They worked well, especially considering the weight of the truck. They were louder on the highway than standard truck tires but with the diesel engine, you really didn't notice. If we didn't spend quite a bit of time off road, we would probably go with a cheaper road tire.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Deploying two sets of wheels is a great idea. Having said that I used one winter set and one all season for summer towing season.
Your going to see much less life span with those soft rubber tires in the summer heat IMO.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

danr1707
Explorer
Explorer
I use a second set of wheels in the winter with studs. For summer, I will use a different set of DuraTracks without studs.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS
2017 F-350 6.7 4x4 CC LB SRW Lariat
2 Parakeets

Senior Member only because I've asked over 200 stupid questions!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use with caution if they are studded as many states require studded tires be removed during the summer months. One place I worked at years ago had studded tires on a pickup and driving it on dry pavement was like driving on ice.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint