cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing into the Wind

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a 1200 mile one way trip to Glacier National Park and back. We were fortunate to not have to deal with head winds to often.

My question is, how does everyone deal with days when you have tows with lots of hills and strong head winds. How do the diesels perform when towing up the rolling/semi steep hills of Montana while heading into a strong head wind.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.
33 REPLIES 33

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If it is too bad, we stop! Wait until later in day or the next day!
We have no calendar when on the road!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
The diesels perform great, I'm far less tires after a long day of pulling in the conditions you mentioned with my diesel. That said, I normally get 10-10.5 pulling my TT last fall I fought a 25mph headwind with rolling/ steep hills. I averaged 8.5 on that trip, with a 26 gal fuel tank you stop... a lot.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Wyoming has always been the worst for me. Westbound bucking 50-60mph steady headwind with a large frontal area trailer has always eaten a ton of fuel.

The newer diesels have no problem doing it....they just get thirsty. Keep an eye on your tranny temps too....trying to maintain the posted speed limit with that much headwind can tax the cooling system.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll be stopping for fuel a lot.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB