cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing my Jeep to Colorado

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I will be towing my Jeep from Louisiana to Colorado behind my truck, no camper, with all four wheels down. I bought a tow bar to pull it with. My question is about safety chains, What are the laws and requirements in Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado?
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg
10 REPLIES 10

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
My chains go from the truck hitch, thru the tow bar to the jeep frame.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
#40Fan wrote:
Flashman wrote:
#40Fan wrote:
Just try to think of the most strict state out there and meet those requirements.

If trying to do it on the cheap, get a u-haul dolly and disconnect rear driveshaft from axle.

No need on a Jeep - made to be towed wheels down.

I understand that, but towing with a dolly has less requirements.

According to the manual, either tow 4 wheels down or 4 wheels up never with 2 wheels down.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
#40Fan wrote:
Just try to think of the most strict state out there and meet those requirements.

If trying to do it on the cheap, get a u-haul dolly and disconnect rear driveshaft from axle.

I understand that, but towing with a dolly has less requirements.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
My cables connect from the truck hitch, run along the tow bar through a guide, and attach to the brackets on the Jeep.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
#40Fan wrote:

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
Do the chains connect to just the tow bar or do they connect to the tow and the Jeep. I not asking if I need them, just the proper way to connect them.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Basically every state requires you to have safety chains or cables. Very few seem to detail what they have to be connected to, on the tow and the towed. We towed our Jeep from Florida to Colorado this summer and spent the summer. I also have a Ready Brake system installed on the Jeep which sure helps in getting the combo stopped, especially in the mountains.

I bought a set of cables from Camping World about 15 years ago and suspect they will outlast me. You will also have to have a set of functional lights on the Jeep while it is being towed. I installed a seperate set of lights that bypass the Jeep lights. A set of the magnetic lights will also work as I have a set I used on previous vehicles when towing them, handy to have at times.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
:h Heck with the law...Safety chains should be a priority on any towed vehicle.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Chevytrkr
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to research the DOT requirements for each state you will be traveling through. Each has its own laws about towing vehicles, so better to have prior knowledge. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law.
Rich & Anne
SW Louisiana

2014 Fleetwood Storm 28F
2013 Fiat 500 Pop