Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

Now looking more into the 250

I was looking into the independent touch screen Navigation that comes with the XLT Pkg. Also with the Pkg comes camera pro trailer backup camera. Getting the pkg along with a few other minor things would set me back almost another 5K. No monthly cost from ford for the navigation.

Now on the XL and 5k less I was told the Navigation screen will work off my phone GPS via bluetooth

any pro's & con's on the 2 navigations?

Truck I'm looking at now would have a 6' bed or 148" wheel base. I did a online search, says for 148" wheel base truck, trailer should be no more than a 30'. I'm looking at now is a 25' trailer but in future wondering would be an acceptable max trailer length

Thank you for your replies/opinions
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
29 REPLIES 29

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I have never paid for a navigation subscription in any of my trucks??

Neither have I. Google maps comes free on my phone, so why would I?

All I know is GM wanted $9 a month or something like that for Nav, and I had to subscribe to a data plan above and beyond that.

Maybe Ford is different, but I have my doubts. No corporation worth its salt gives away anything they can charge for. Most likely they incorporated the nav subscription into your monthly payment and you have no idea you're paying for it. If that's the case, says a lot about Ford and their business practices.

no subscription needed to use Ford's indash GPS. Just update it every few years.
Thing is If you lose cell service. Your phone can't tell you how far it is to your exit, because it doesn't know. Satellites always know.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:

Neither have I. You don't need a subscription to use the in dash GPS in my Ford Taurus. All you have to do is up date it every few years. Just order a new sim card. $35.00 off amazon. Bam instant up date, and you NEVER lose satellite signal, like you do cell service. Which happened to me at Cherry grove just 4 weeks ago.

PLUS, and this is big for me. the in dash GPS shows me a picture of the exit, and which lane to use to get off the interstate. The phone does not.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I would not pay extra just for navigation on any vehicle that comes with CarPlay or whatever the Android version is. You can also play music from your phone and do handsfree calling. Lots of functionality there.

I have an older version retrofitted into my truck and love it. Just requires a cable to my phone instead of bluetooth.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:

Neither have I. Google maps comes free on my phone, so why would I?

All I know is GM wanted $9 a month or something like that for Nav, and I had to subscribe to a data plan above and beyond that.

Maybe Ford is different, but I have my doubts. No corporation worth its salt gives away anything they can charge for. Most likely they incorporated the nav subscription into your monthly payment and you have no idea you're paying for it. If that's the case, says a lot about Ford and their business practices.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Pros for built in Nav are that it is satellite based and not cellular based, so it works everywhere unlike cellular. I live on the west coast and no cellular in the mountains, my Nav system works but my Verizon cell does not. I do use Waze more than anything when traveling or needing to know where traffic is, but for general nav, I use the vehicle nav. When towing if I don't know where I am going I use the truck Nav. The other problem with a cellular nav, if you are using the phone for something else, you lose the nav to some extent. It used to be with Verizon data stopped when you were using the phone, but now that has changed so a map does continue to update, but it wasn't always that way and may or may not be with your cell service, and the area you are in.

The other main pro is resale value, an XLT is worth more than $5K more than an XL on resale given all other factors are the same. The upgrade is more than just Nav typically, upgraded radio, maybe leather, etc.

As for subscriptions, I have had XM radios in 2 of my 3 cars since 2011. I have never paid more than $50-$100 per year. I travel a lot in my work car and XM is great as I can listen to the same radio station regardless of where I am. In my 3rd car I just use the app to stream to the car radio, if I have cell service, sucks when we go to the mountains and I have to listen to the old songs I have saved on my phone. I have a Chev so I stopped paying for OnStar a long time ago.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The pros and cons are the same as any other built in navigation system.

Pro: It's convenient.

Cons: You can't take it with you to another vehicle that doesn't have navigation. There is likely a monthly subscription fee, and likely a double-whammy there because you also need to subscribe to the data package as well.

I opted out of all that on my truck when I bought it in 2015. By the time I was done with the phone service, navigation, data, and satellite radio, it was another $100+ a month to the payment! That was an additoinal 20% a month on my truck!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
All built in navigation systems are sometimes several years behind. In fact my F350 was almost 4 years behind showing new roads when it was brand new.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my vehicles a long time, so when OnStar dropped me in a few years and Ford stopped updates for the in dash systems they are something I don't want to pay serious money for anymore. If you are buying for more than a few years, look carefully at how they may obsolete the expensive junk.

I agree with Bionic -

My wife's 2018 Explorer. my 2019 F150 and 2020 F350 ALL have Navigation and we use Waze when travelling... And sometimes Google Maps.. Since Waze came out a few years back, we have NOT even turned the screen in the truck to Nav....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I travel for work, renting cars weekly. And all 4 of my personal vehicles have Nav. I never use the built in Nav, always use Waze or google maps. Real time traffic reports, accident alerts, up to date maps and road conditions, and will tell you about police activity.

Yes, you need phone service when you begin your journey, but never after that. In traveling everything west of the Mississippi the only place I’ve had any trouble was Alaska. For me, lack of cell service has been a non issue.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdcamping wrote:
Hello everyone,

Now looking more into the 250

I was looking into the independent touch screen Navigation that comes with the XLT Pkg. Also with the Pkg comes camera pro trailer backup camera. Getting the pkg along with a few other minor things would set me back almost another 5K. No monthly cost from ford for the navigation.

Now on the XL and 5k less I was told the Navigation screen will work off my phone GPS via bluetooth

any pro's & con's on the 2 navigations?

Truck I'm looking at now would have a 6' bed or 148" wheel base. I did a online search, says for 148" wheel base truck, trailer should be no more than a 30'. I'm looking at now is a 25' trailer but in future wondering would be an acceptable max trailer length

Thank you for your replies/opinions
Mike

From what I am seeing. the 7.3 gas engine. They call it Godzilla. Is a monster. Every test I see the truck guys do. The 7.3 shins like the sun.

As for that 30' trailer mythical rule of thumb. Not really true. the tow capacities say nothing about trailer length. and with a 250. 30' would be nothing. It much more depends on the rear over hang than the Wheel base. Meaning how far the hitch point is from the rear axle. In truth there are many more things to consider than just the Wheelbase. Like how well the TT is balanced, and how well the WDH is setup.

I towed a 31' TT with a 145"WB F150. Absolutely 0 sway.

As for the navigation working off the phone. Remember the phone navigation works off cell towers, and not satellite. If you get into an area with poor cell service. you will lose your navigation. In other words. The cell phone navigation has a poor chance of working in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and many areas around the NC, and SC coast. Anywhere, where there are few cell towers, it will be challenged.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ The F350 SRW is about $300 more than the F250 with high capacity tow package .... Although the two trucks will be identical other than badging, the f350 will give you considerably more payload, if you are at all concerned about the number on the door sticker.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Apple Maps work well for me when on paved roads. Off highway I use Forest Maps app.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run waze from my phone and garmin while towing.

Two numbers you need to be concerned with, payload and tow wt. 250 should be fine for the trailer... however, you might consider high capacity tow package or 350 to tow everything except monster trailers