cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a Tacoma

gmann1972
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, I am new to this forum so bear with me. I have a 2013 Tacoma, tow capacity of 6500lb. I just purchased a 2014 Sportsmen Showstopper 242sbhss dry weight 4400lb, gvw 6000lb. I did purchase the weight distribution setup and break control set up. But I have never towed anything of this size and weight with my truck. According to this information my truck should be able to handle the capacity of the camper. Although not sure if the truck has enough HP to pull the camper. Has anyone had any experience with towing a camper of this size with a truck of this size. Thanks All, Greg
29 REPLIES 29

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
BAreEhD wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
After loaded, your hitch weight will be between 750 and 850 lbs. There are plenty of incompetent hitch shops as you've found.

Never go by dry weights, never.

Thanks, but I'd like to understand why you think the hitch weight might be almost double what the manufacturer states. Jayco states the hitch weight is 11% of GVWR, so maxed out with over a tonne of gear at 6500 lbs that's still not even in the range you have identified.

This demonstrates IMO a total lack of understanding the hundreds if not thousands of posts on how much the useless "dry wts" suddenly increase in the real world. I would suggest you read these forums for a few months before making statements like you are.

Also is there a reason you're discounting the impact of the WD hitch? Hitch weight is defined as weight behind the rear axle, which is exactly what the WD bars help alleviate.

Well, here again is the clear newbiness (sic) lack of understanding of what a WD hitch is and what is does and more importantly does not do. Believe what you want, but the FACT IS "WD bars don't help aleviate" ANYTHING.

Not trying to be argumentative, but when I see people quoting numbers without providing any reasons or supporting calculations I get suspicious - especially when it conflicts with information I have been given by industry professionals who have inspected my setup.

IMO you're not being argumentative, but are simply showing your almost complete lack of understanding boarding on ignorance. It only takes a few weeks to maybe a month or two of reading the horror stories here of the "industry professionals" as you have stated that have failed in the most simple hitch setups to understand why you putting such faith in them is being fool hardy to say the least.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
How many tacos and tundras out there still with rotting frames and not processed through the recall?
My 12 year old sub does just fine.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
BAreEhD wrote:
I see Mike is editing his posts. Glad I captured the first one, too bad I didn't quote the one where he told me to go to hell. What a friendly guy.

Also to the fellow who wants to talk about rust but drives a 12 year old suburban... LOL! Join us with a reply that's on topic and perhaps we'll talk. Oh, and don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread - it's been a blast. To the OP, I'll reiterate what's been said a number of times: head on over to a Tacoma forum and you'll get vehicle-specific information that'll be helpful. Most people here I'm sure are well meaning, but unfortunately a couple of rotten apples do tend to spoil the whole bunch.

Good riddance
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

BAreEhD
Explorer
Explorer
I see Mike is editing his posts. Glad I captured the first one, too bad I didn't quote the one where he told me to go to hell. What a friendly guy.

Also to the fellow who wants to talk about rust but drives a 12 year old suburban... LOL! Join us with a reply that's on topic and perhaps we'll talk. Oh, and don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread - it's been a blast. To the OP, I'll reiterate what's been said a number of times: head on over to a Tacoma forum and you'll get vehicle-specific information that'll be helpful. Most people here I'm sure are well meaning, but unfortunately a couple of rotten apples do tend to spoil the whole bunch.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow just go to a state park and observe the eight lug tow vehicles of your peers. Stare at the pile of rotting frames of fellow Toyota owners. That is enough facts.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

BAreEhD
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
BAreEhD wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
After loaded, your hitch weight will be between 750 and 850 lbs. There are plenty of incompetent hitch shops as you've found.

Thanks, but I'd like to understand why you think the hitch weight might be almost double what the manufacturer states. Jayco states the hitch weight is 11% of GVWR, so maxed out with over a tonne of gear at 6500 lbs that's still not even in the range you have identified.

Also is there a reason you're discounting the impact of the WD hitch? Hitch weight is defined as weight behind the rear axle, which is exactly what the WD bars help alleviate.

Not trying to be argumentative, but when I see people quoting numbers without providing any reasons or supporting calculations I get suspicious - especially when it conflicts with information I have been given by industry professionals who have inspected my setup.

DO a search, I don't have time to justify facts.

Just let me know where you tow, so I can avoid.

LOL great job, champ. "No time" is a steaming pile from the same place you got your numbers. You won't justify your "facts" because you have no idea what you're talking about. You made up numbers and someone called you out for it. Makes me wonder how often you get away with it. Thanks for coming out, though!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
BAreEhD wrote:
Mike Up wrote:

If you follow this forum, you'll see that hardly any travel trailer has a super low 11%. Most average around 13%. Dry weight is DRY, nothing! Add propane, add battery, load weight in the front, and now you have 13% tongue weight.

WDH does NOT alleviate weight, the weight is still on the metal components where it sits. In fact, there's more stress from the spring adding additional forces.

The WDH DOES equalize the weight by shifting forces from the rear axle to the front axle and some to the trailer axles.

The spring bars are a lever. They help take weight off of the rear axle (NOT HITCH) and place that weight back to the front axle. Some weight goes to the trailer axles as a result of the spring bar force pulling down on the back of the trailer tongue.

Your professionals are a bunch of hired hands with little education on travel trailers if they told you, you are alright with such a heavy trailer and such a light weight rating on a midsize truck. Hell, my Sport Trac had a 730 lbs rating on it's hitch and it wasn't strong enough for my 26BH that's only a few hundred lbs heavier than your less featured Jay Flight Swift 264BH. Be careful in describing who is a professional.

Weight distribution hitches allow you to exceed the standard weight bearing hitch ratings of 5000 lbs by using weight distribution. That why there is 2 separate ratings. Mine is 5000 lbs/500 lbs for weight bearing and 10,500 lbs/1,050 lbs for weight distribution.

That means if you are towing over a 5000 lbs trailer and/or have a 500 lbs tongue weight, you need to use a weight distribution hitch setup. It doesn't mean the weight goes away, it means you can now tow a trailer up to 10,500 lbs and 1,050 tongue weight.

You can essentially go up to 6500 lbs loaded trailer weight and 650 lbs tongue weight.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
If you are serious about safety be sure to think of the "hidden" weight.

The weight if the Weight Distribution Hitch itself? ~ 100 plus pounds.

Water left in the water lines and tanks? Water weighs 8 lbs. per gallon.

Battery/Batteries and propane tank/s?

These things alone can make the tongue weight add up.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
What is your trailers gvwr? That's the number I'd like to know

Edit...sorry i just saw it's 6k. Your trailer weighs the same as mine. In my experience, for a ccomfortable tow you want to be 80% or less of your tow rating with trailer gvwr. Your at 92% not withstanding the tongue weight or overall light weight of your tacoma, smaller wheel base, etc.

My 2000 expedition had a 6900lb tow rating and it pulled my Layton ok but not the best. It's wheelbase is about what your tacomas is and i noticed that on the highway. The expeditions weight helped to control the trailer, a benefit you don't have.

Before i bought my silverado i test drove a 15 tacoma crew cab with towing package. It was s nice truck for what it was but nowhere near what my silverado is. Plus the silverado gets better fuel economy and wasn't that much more money to buy.

I realize that's not the point here. Can you go down the road with your trailer? Yes but you are very close to your limits and i don't know what will happen in an emergency situation.

I once towed a 21 foot, single axle 1977 go tag with a 1987 4x4 5 speed, 2.8 v6 ford ranger. It pulled the go tag but was clearly way over weight. Soon after that i sold the ranger and bought a 1989 Chevrolet Silverado k1500 with the 350 and never looked back.

Yes your tacoma is much more rhobust than the ranger was but the point i think most here are trying to make is towing at or over limits is not enjoyable and possibly unsafe for you and others you share the road with.

Just my .02. If it pulls the trailer ok and your happy with the combo that's all that matters
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure it can do it but that payload is not a lot so becareful putting much in the truck. Also be careful in the wind, big sail and lighter truck might not ride very good.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

BAreEhD
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer

BAreEhD
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
The tongue weight alone will exceed your Tacoma's hitch rating greatly. I suggest beefing up your hitch receiver at a hitch shop before something negative happens.

The Tacoma comes from the factory with a class IV receiver, so I don't see how beefing that up would be beneficial.

Also my Tacoma has a 650 lb tongue weight rating. With a dry TW of 485 lbs that leaves me with a bit of wiggle room for gear, albeit it's close and for that reason, as I said, I'm careful. I can't however fathom a situation in which the TW will "greatly exceed" the hitch rating, especially with a WD hitch.

I had a trailer & hitch shop confirm my setup (MY truck and MY TT, not internet proxies) and they gave me the green light without reservation.

OP, as others have suggested, head on over to Tacoma World - they're a wealth of good (and accurate) information.