cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with my new Honda Ridgeline

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a lot of research I purchased a 2019 Honda Ridgeline last month. My towing needs were very simple, I tow a 10' {14' overall} cargo trailer hauling either my Indian Springfield - bike and trailer 2,220# or my Polaris Rzr - Rzr and Trailer 2,580#.

The keyboard commando's of the internet all wanted to tell me my new Honda was not a real truck...LMAO until I pointed out that a dodge 4 X 4 Crew Cab 1500 half ton comes with 977# of Payload and my Ridgeline comes with 1,477# AWD, 18" wheels and the 6 speed trans complete the equation for me.

While I usually tow with my 2012 Nexus 24' Class C, V-10 with the 5 speed Torque Shift trans and a 4:10 differential there are often times when I do not need to have the motorhome as part of the equation. The Honda gives me options as the mileage towing is 16 vs 8.5 - 9 with the coach. For the record I m seeing 24 mpg around town {not towing} and 26 - 28 on the interstate.

Just returned from my first serious shakedown trip from Tucson up to Angel Fire New Mexico {1,455 miles}. Lots of moutnains between Tucson {3,300'} and Angel Fire {9,000'} but the Honda did not even breath hard. Mostly 6th gear at 2,400 rpm to cruise 65. The low hills kicked us down to 5th gear and 3,400 rpm and an twice it actually kicked down to 4th and 4,400... boring.

Up and over the pass from Taos to Angel Fire and again over Bobcat Pass {9,820' with 4 adults and and the 2,580# Rzr} on our way to Red River I actually en engaged Honda's version of Tow Haul... D-4, which holds the trans in 4th gear up and down the mountain.

I had met a guy in Tombstone with a new Ridgeline towing a nice retro 19' - 2,600# TT and he loved the combo. His experience set me in motion to this equation... and thank you!

I stopped at the triple T truckstop on I-10 on the way home and hit the C.A.T. Scale with the following results:

Front axle: 2,680 {max 3,131}

Rear Axle: 2,640 {max 3219}

Trailer axle 2,580 {max 2,990}

Total: 7,900

This with two adults and a weeks worth of "stuff".

Obviously no need whatsoever for a weight distribution hitch as the rig sits dead level. The ride and handling towing are amazing. Take your hands off of the wheel {carefully and keeping them close} and the rig will track up the interstate straight as an arrow.

I simply do not need more truck than the Honda, if I did I would have bought something else but with the AWD, 18" wheels, 6 speed trans and nearly 1,500# of payload I am good to go. Guess I will just have to learn to live with it not being a "Real Truck"... LMAO!

:B
17 REPLIES 17

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Well its Unibody construction is based off their SUV, so the fact that it has a bed doesnt make it truck. That said, you dont need a truck to do what your doing obviously. I see SUV's pulling RZR's and the like everyday here. A Colorado has more towing capacity and more payload than does the Honda and depending on the engine, better MPG. Some would say that isnt a real pickup truck either. All that matters is that you feel you got your monies worth, regardless of what anyone else thinks. When you come to towing forum and ask opinions everyone has one based on their experiences and prejudices and that is on full display here every day.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best of luck.
What happens when you get tired of towing 3,000 pounds?

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are happy with the Ridgeline. Seems a perfect combo for what you need it to do. Some people on here insist that you need a 1 ton dually to tow a pop up trailer.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller