cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing

sgershey
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone towed a tt with a nissan armada? 5.7l v8 seems stromg enough, wife wants a three sear comfy vehicle. Selling the class c (or trading in) to buy 6800 lb passport bh model.
9 REPLIES 9

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Nissan makes a 5.6L V8.
I don't really know any thing about the Armada, but I can tell ya the 3500 NV passenger van does just fine with that engine powering it dragging our 35 foot TT around ( BTW, a Passport 31RE , somewhere around 7500lbs loaded). We did nearly 4K miles on one trip / 12 days last summer. I find it very comfortable towing. 10K miles of towing over the last 2 1/2 years. All good experience once I ditched cheap brake controller the RV dealer initially installed.

We don't have a huge gang of 8 kids or anything like that, but bought the van to have all that interior space / rows of seats for travelling comfortably for 4 to 6 adults with plenty of space for gear / luggage and it was about $10K less than anything else with even just close to the same seating and towing capacity.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
TooManyTents wrote:
My son has an Armada with a factory tow package. He has tried towing with it and reports it does not tow anything well. He's towed half a dozen different trailers all with poor results. It's always a rough, jerky ride. Towing the same trailers with his pickup truck is smooth as silk. His plan is to dump the Armada at some point.

He might want to check his auto-level system. When the compressor goes out you get a "rough, jerky ride".
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here's what I have:

2013 Armada Platinum with factory tow package (Tow rating 9,100
with 910 tongue weight). I've had folks on this forum tell me
the Armada is a light weight and I should tow with a Tahoe :Rif
I want to tow with an SUV. Don't believe everything you read on
here.
2015 Open Range 216RBS
I don't even remember what brand WDH but it's round bars, 1500 pound I think. I use two friction type sway devices.

Cat weights, on the road travelling. Two adults, one JRT, minimal water, full propane and a Honda e3000is mounted on the tongue. WDH in use.

Armada Front axle 2920 (2980 unhitched, 3400 rated)
Rear axle 4000 (3020 unhitched, 4300 rated)
Trailer axles 6860 (??? unhitched, 8800 rated)
Total weight 13,780 (GCWR 15,100)
Trailer tires rated to carry 10,160 total
Armada tires rated to carry 10,400 total

That's all loaded up with people and gas in the truck. I know my tongue weights a little heavy but I'm not staying up late worrying about it.

Got maybe 7,000 of towing it with no problems, no sway, no bounce. Engine and transmission temps never move from the same place they are when the wife goes to Wal-Mart. My only issue is I wish I had the Titan Big Tow mirrors The Open Range 100" wide). I might be getting them soon ($300-$400). They are a direct replacement for the Armada mirrors. Also, I only get about 8MPG but like they say "if you wanta play ya gotta pay".

It's an excellent tow vehicle if you don't overload it (ain't they all that way) and I don't think I would want to tow anything any longer than I have because of the Armada's short wheelbase. Check out www.clubarmada.com There's a towing section in the forums with a good bit of information.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a forum member a few years ago and had some handling issues with the Armada...turned out that the rear IRS suspension was out of alignment and due to rust issues couldn't be brought back into alignment.

That member upgraded to a different truck IIRC....maybe they are still active and will chime in. I can't remember the user name.

Not trying to discourage you as I think it's totally doable just make sure everything is as meticulously maintained and learn how to adjust the weight distribution hitch correctly.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Daddyb720
Explorer
Explorer
Hi sgershey, we have a 2010 Armada Platinum edition and for the last 3 years we have been pulling a 6100# Keystone Passport 3220bh. I use a 10k pound equalizer WD and the Armada is stock with the automatic airbag suspension. We have never had any issues with the Armada pulling our TT. I pull at about 60-63mph with only slight sway when the big rigs fly by. Other than that the Aramada is a beast. I keep her well maintained and so far not a single issue. we travel an average of 700-1000 miles each trip. New to the forum, will post a pic when I figure how to add it.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You don't say what year or whether 2 WD or 4 WD, but the '12 Armada is listed as 8,200 lbs or 9,000 lbs, respectively. Didn't look up other years (but you should, if it's not a '12).

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I never used an Armada. My previous TV was a Jeep Liberty Diesel. My take, it is all about expectation. My little diesel performed as expected, and I probably wouldn't have upgraded yet if I wasn't doing high mileage trips. after 3500 miles in 2 weeks last year, I upgraded to the truck.

Bottom line. If you stay within your payload weight, make sure you have decent tires to do the job, stay within a good speed (I tow at 60MPH with the Jeep, 60-65 with the truck now), and not expect the thing to handle like a car, you should have decent luck with it.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

APT
Explorer
Explorer
6800 pounds dry - doubtful. 6800 pounds loaded? Maybe. A 6800 pounds dry bunk house will be closer to 8000 pounds loaded for a long weekend with 950-1100 pounds of tongue weight. I believe the Armada's receiver is rated for about 950 pounds. Then you need to make sure you have the payload for 950-1100 pounds of tongue weight plus the family. Some Armadas may have 1300 pounds, some 1600. Check the tire and loading sticker on the driver's door as you shop.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
My son has an Armada with a factory tow package. He has tried towing with it and reports it does not tow anything well. He's towed half a dozen different trailers all with poor results. It's always a rough, jerky ride. Towing the same trailers with his pickup truck is smooth as silk. His plan is to dump the Armada at some point.
Dave