cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota hitch

Campnjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here tow with a toyota 4runner. I bought a 06 4runner today and it has the factory towing hitch and electrical plug. My question is how much is that hitch rated for? It is the 2" receiver but it is a small unit that just bolts to the crossmember rather than going out to the frame rails. I can't find a weight rating anywhere on it. It is the 2 wheel drive with a 4.0 v6. I know the SUV is rated at 5000 pounds but unsure of hitch specs.
6 REPLIES 6

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch on the V6 merely bolts to the crossmember. Crawl under and look at it. Personally, I would not be towing anything close to 5000 lbs with that hitch. I wouldn't want to risk twisting the crossmember. As some have said, get a hitch off the V8 (it's a frame hitch), or aftermarket if available.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The factory V6 hitch is rated 500/5000lbs capacity but is not to be used with a WD hitch. The weak point is the fact that it is only bolted to the cross member which is structural and can twist.

Most trailers that can be comfortably towed with the V6 will fall under the 500/5000lbs ratings. If you need or want a WD hitch, the V8 hitch is frame mounted and rated to the max of its tow capacity of 720/7200lbs. You may be able to find a used one at a wrecker Lexus model fits too) or Curt makes a nice aftermarket one. See here. The only downside to the Curt is it's only rated at 550/5500lbs with a WD hitch.

It's an easy bolt on in about 15 minutes. I've done 2, first got bent in a rear end accident but it saved my 4Runner from any damage. Hardest part is getting the stock one off without removing the bumper cover.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch is not to be used with weight distribution. You won't find an after market hitch for it. A Lexus hitch will fit it perfectly or a 8cyl hitch off an old unit. Good luck with your quest. Been there.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a class III hitch. You would need to upgrade to a class III/IV. Also. Look on the hitch. there should be a stamp telling exactly what the hitch is rated for.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Campnjoe wrote:
I know the SUV is rated at 5000 pounds but unsure of hitch specs.

does it have to have the towing package to be rated for 5,000 lbs.? I know my HIghlander is rated for 5,000 lbs. with the TP but only 2,000 without.
bumpy

tcp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is rated for 5000 lbs. the v8 runner came with a higher rated hitch. If you can get one of a wrecked v8 and install it, you've got all the bases covered. Or go aftermarket.
2005 Bantam Flyer F-18 - sold
2010 Funfinder 189FDS
2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed.
102k miles, Raider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star SCT Tune, NGK Iridium IX plugs, Bilstein 5100s all around.