cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Fall Colors Sequoia National Park

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mother Nature has a way of making you change plans on the fly and then rewards your decision in our case. Our original plan was for a meet up with Ski Pro 3 ,Big Foot Ford, Corey, Myself and Reddog up around Hope Valley off hwy 88 in the Sierras.
Reddog couldn't make it and then Mother Nature said none of you are coming with snow, heavy rain and winds of 50 with gusts of over 70mph . Ski Pro and Bigfoot hunkered down at their homes and Corey and me started looking at weather forecasts and locations that might be do able within a 4 hour drive. We decided to hit the south end of Sequoia at 3 Rivers. We already had packed for bad weather so both of us had to add some lighter clothes and we called it good. Corey headed out Friday morning in his rig and made a stop at Bass Pro on his way south. I had to work so I would be leaving town at 7pm with my dogs in my TC.

Yes I became a road Zombie

The last text message I got from Corey was that he was driving up into the hills near the park.
I hit the tail end of the usual I580 mess of a Friday commute on the Altamont and then took 205 over to 99 south where I ran into the storm front. It poured all the way south to Madera but 99 was in great shape due to new asphalt, I lost most of the view from my rear view camera during the rain. When I stopped for Diesel in Goshen just north of Visalia I found out why. That nice fresh asphalt had a high oil content, The back of my white TC was now coated in oily water.. Half a bottle of 409 and a roll of paper towels later it didn't look so much like a garbage scow and the camera view was restored after some Windex.

I rolled into the Potwisha Campground In Sequoia just before midnight. It was packed I drove a full loop before I found Corey. We had just enough room for both rigs and it took most of my leveling blocks to get about 3โ€ shy of level but nose high and an inch tilts to the side but I was beat after driving a 9 hour para-transit shift and a four hour drive to the park plus my work commute, nothing was going to keep me awake. Walked the dogs took a quick shower and slept in until 7 when they woke me to say hey we need to go for a walk or the camper is going to have a funny smell...nuff said

We had some coffee and broke camp to head on up and out of the lowland Chapparal and up to the Gian Sequoias. Signs said no vehicles over 22 feet...we are 23 so what they hey

We ended up at the Giant Forest Trail Head on 198 and set out to hike away from the other tourists. Generally that just means head uphill a ways and leave the non hardy hikers behind

but first it was walk the dogs time. I like having my pups along as it keeps folks out of my camper when I'm off doing something. Temps were in the low 60s

upwards we went

After many hours of hiking we came into a grove where the dogwood was in full fall colors. We were at about 7000 feet in altitude.

one of those unusual things you find. At first glance it looked like ash from some burned paper on the trail

but looking up it was part of a paper wasp nest that had been blown off by the wind the night before

It was a spectacular hike we stuck to the trails for about half of it and and bushwacked for the other half
all told we were out for about 5 hours and 13 miles

We piled back into our rigs at set off for our next destination. We would be camping at the Azalea Campground and hiking the area by the General Grant tree

The Forest Service was doing some controlled burns alongside the road as we drove

we got two nice sites in the Azalea Campground

First order of business at camp is to take care of my furballs

Cory and I retired to our respective campers for the night and in the Morning we headed over to the Grant Grove trail head. We ended up joining a Ranger led hike for a while then split off to do some exploring on our own.

in one of the recent burn zones from the big fires that hit the park in the past few years

so we split off from the Ranger group and went in search of Gulliver. We found him

The trail eventually took us up to an overlook where we could see Sequoia Lake and a storm front moving in

Cory and me were having a blast

We reached the Grant Grove from our side hike just as the storm moved in. The tops of the Giant Sequoias pierced the cloud bottoms as the rain began to fall

Raingear on time

as always a hike has to end sometime and we arrived back at the rigs

Two days, 24 miles of hiking on the trails what a blast. But it was time to head for home

Azalea Campground is at 6000 feet it is open all year for dry camping and there is XC skiing and snow shoeing trails leading out of camp. I need to go back this winter.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
21 REPLIES 21

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
skipro3 wrote:
Sorry we weren't able to meet up with you guys! Here's a couple photos of the Hope Valley trip Jim and I did take though;

First things first; setting up camp starts with setting up doggie corrals. Jim and Sheila's little guy Buddy. Our two dogs Buttons and Lady. The area is used by horsey folk and the dogs enjoyed rolling and even nibbling on those droppings

I got up the next morning to see the sunrise and get the campfire going. I decided to toast a marshmallow for my coffee as I sat by the fire and checked out the new fallen snow that delayed our original trip with you guys.

Both Jim and I (Wayne has one too) towed our Suzuki Samurais up for some back country trips to see the fall colors.

While we may not have all been able to hook up on this trip, there will be others. I'm hoping to make a trip to Death Valley to see the spring bloom. Wanna go?

Twist my arm
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Xpd77 wrote:
Thanks for the trip report. What breed is your smallest dog?

Bart

Miniature American Sheppard

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the trip report. What breed is your smallest dog?

Bart
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry we weren't able to meet up with you guys! Here's a couple photos of the Hope Valley trip Jim and I did take though;

First things first; setting up camp starts with setting up doggie corrals. Jim and Sheila's little guy Buddy. Our two dogs Buttons and Lady. The area is used by horsey folk and the dogs enjoyed rolling and even nibbling on those droppings

I got up the next morning to see the sunrise and get the campfire going. I decided to toast a marshmallow for my coffee as I sat by the fire and checked out the new fallen snow that delayed our original trip with you guys.

Both Jim and I (Wayne has one too) towed our Suzuki Samurais up for some back country trips to see the fall colors.

While we may not have all been able to hook up on this trip, there will be others. I'm hoping to make a trip to Death Valley to see the spring bloom. Wanna go?

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that you hit a good weather window for hiking there. Last time I was in Azalea CG it was very windy and dropping very large cones on a campsite next to mine. Ranger didn't know whether the momentum is enough to break a vent cover, skylight or solar panel. He just said that the green cones were even heavier.

The guy camping there left quickly after taking a single hit to the roof when he figured out what happened.

Makes you wonder what the terminal velocity of a sequoia cone is ...
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report!! This trip is on the bucket list!!

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Incredible. Been there but never in the fall. Adding that to my list.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Beautiful colors.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bka0721 wrote:
That would have been fun to have stumbled upon a Ranger Hike. It is too bad that so many visitors miss taking that rare opportunity to learn more about the wildlife, fauna and the history of the park/s. To be honest many just over schedule themselves during their visits.

As time goes on, there will be less and less Rangers in the National Parks, it all comes down to economics. I will always be about the details, thus the reason Rangers have different programs for the same hike. Anyone visiting a National Park should put a Ranger led program in their vacation plans, whether an evening program and or a hike. Eric, I look forward to you and Ruth joining me again and of course, bring the questions too!

b

Probably why I never schedule anything besides arriving ( and sometimes not even that, just when am I departing home, direction and to where are flexible in my mind) and what day to I have to be home. Gotta have your eyes open and just go with the flow. You find yourself in the best places having grand experiences when you don't plan every aspect of your life.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
That would have been fun to have stumbled upon a Ranger Hike. It is too bad that so many visitors miss taking that rare opportunity to learn more about the wildlife, fauna and the history of the park/s. To be honest many just over schedule themselves during their visits.

As time goes on, there will be less and less Rangers in the National Parks, it all comes down to economics. I will always be about the details, thus the reason Rangers have different programs for the same hike. Anyone visiting a National Park should put a Ranger led program in their vacation plans, whether an evening program and or a hike. Eric, I look forward to you and Ruth joining me again and of course, bring the questions too!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bka0721 wrote:
Great Trip Report! The landscape is just beautiful and the photos certainly captured it well as well. Appreciate you taking the time to put this together and the narrative with the photos.

Now those pups of yours certainly are a treat and must be great company on the long drives. I bet that Ranger was a lot better looking than the other Ranger that led you on your hike.

Keep posting your TRs Eric. It is always good to see these still here in the forum.

Safe travels.

b

She knew a lot about the area but due to youth had not the breadth of experience as that other Ranger. We would have missed the burn history and the tiny Sequoia seed released by the burn heat that she pointed out had we not joined up with her walk. She also pointed out the side trail that we took our leave from the group on. The rest of the folks would have been out of their physical cabability while we had a blast finding a loop without the major crowds of the Grant Grove.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Great Trip Report! The landscape is just beautiful and the photos certainly captured it well as well. Appreciate you taking the time to put this together and the narrative with the photos.

Now those pups of yours certainly are a treat and must be great company on the long drives. I bet that Ranger was a lot better looking than the other Ranger that led you on your hike.

Keep posting your TRs Eric. It is always good to see these still here in the forum.

Safe travels.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Another fantastic trip report and photos. Thanks for sharing. This trip report is definitely quite a contrast from your other trip report you posted earlier.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, thanks for sharing, great pics.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP