cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tracking towing distance (tow haul turned on)

NorthYYC
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a way to discover the total mileage or hours a truck has been towing (in tow haul mode)? Perhaps accessing the "black box" or via OBDII? This information is useful for trailer maintenance etc.

I have a 1213 GMC 3500.
5 REPLIES 5

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
Since I use T/H all the time when pulling our 5vr, I use the "B" trip odometer to get the total length of our trip. This is not a totally accurate way of T/H mileage because of side trips, etc., but it will give you a rough measure of your T/H mileage.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
rightyouareken wrote:
Can't help with your GM, but the Ford brake controller allows you to name your trailers and it tracks total mileage that you've towed them. Pretty nice feature.

This is a great feature with the Fords. But I thought it started counting when you plugged in the umbilical. You can add several different trailer names and track each one separately. Fivers, Utility trailers, horse trailers, etc.

You might want to check your owners manual. Your GMC might have the same feature buried in there somewhere.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I would not take any of the data from tow haul button and use it for anything important. I'd say there are some (like me) who will use it when not towing for different reasons and that could throw the actual data off if you are trying to find how many hours a TV has been used for towing.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Your DIC has two different timers that you can activate with just a touch of your finger. Might work if you always leave your tow haul turned on when towing but I use tow haul only about half of the time so I track it in a data base file.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with your GM, but the Ford brake controller allows you to name your trailers and it tracks total mileage that you've towed them. Pretty nice feature.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch