cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traded in 5th wheel for couples TT

4hapyMcDs
Explorer
Explorer
Curious mind. How many have traded in from a luxury fifth wheel to a couples TT. We made the jump from 32 ft to a 22ft. Was worried at first but feeling happy on choice. I have lost touch with the wilderness. I want more freedom in choice of sites. Our TT still feels luxury, cheaper on fuel, can fit in almost anywhere.
The outdoors is a wonderful place to be....
23 REPLIES 23

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The right size TT changes with lifestyle, usually over time.

We got along quite well with a canoe and tent or a PUP. Now that the kids are gone, a 25 ft. TT serves my wife and I plus the dog quite well.

Safe travels.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
After 5 years in a 23' TT we made the jump in the opposite direction to a 32' TT. The main reasons were two things my wife wanted that we couldn't find in a 23' TT, a walk around queen bed and larger shower. The walk around is good because now I don't have to climb over her in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. The small shower wasn't an issue for me but my wife had to keep the bathroom door open to dry herself after a shower. I didn't see the problem with that :).

In general I like keeping things as simple as possible so when it's possible to downsize I'll lean in that direction. Enjoy your new home on wheels.

4hapyMcDs
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
4hapyMcDs wrote:
... can fit in almost anywhere.

Time to outfit that new trailer with solar panels, a nice battery bank and really go just about anywhere, e.g boondocking.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!

That is my hopes and dreams. Thank you ??

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
4hapyMcDs wrote:
... can fit in almost anywhere.

Time to outfit that new trailer with solar panels, a nice battery bank and really go just about anywhere, e.g boondocking.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
I love me some land yachting

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As I get older I find I use the small TT a lot more then then I use the 5th wheel. The small TT is easier to take on spontaneous trips to remote areas. A small TT will simply go a lot of places a large RV will not.

That said if I was going to Florida for the winter I would want a large 5er or park model.

4hapyMcDs
Explorer
Explorer
wecamp04 wrote:
We're in the process of doing the same thing,kids are grown and we just didn't need all that room.and like you said theirs lots of places we've wanted to go for years that the 5th wheel was just to big.

Our children have all grown also. Most of our items fit into the TT minus 2 garbage bags full of items I never used. Enjoy your future rd trips.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 35 ft 5th wheel to a 19 ft tt. We have tried them all except a tc. They all have their +/-. Being empty nesters and getting older we are happy with what we have now. Enjoy what you have and be aware that you may want something different in the future.

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the process of doing the same thing,kids are grown and we just didn't need all that room.and like you said theirs lots of places we've wanted to go for years that the 5th wheel was just to big.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you feel you made the right choices and changes that fits your camping style. Each of us has to make our own way in life and do what works best for us.

We made the jump after a lifetime of travel trailers to a fifth wheel just this last September. It's a learning curve now. They say that fifth wheels are suppose to be easier, I haven't found anything "easier", different in many ways, but not easier.

We are enjoying the space of the new 5er, and I'm having no problems now towing or parking it anywhere. But, I was intimidated initially. So, hopefully as time goes by and use and experience grows, everything else will finally feel like a comfortable pair of shoes like the last travel trailer I had did.

Embrace the change is my new moto. So much has changed in my life and around my life in the last year and a half it's unbelievable. Getting the new 5er is one of them. It was a choice we made, not an uncontrollable set of events that I got sucked into.

So, in time, things will change again. When I look back at the different campers I've had, there are things I absolutely cherish about each one of them. And I'm sure, with more time, I'll feel the same about the new one too. We are hoping we will be able to make the jump into full timing. So, having the larger 5er is a good choice, looking into our hopeful future. Still, the newness of it takes time to finally get past and reach comfortable level.

So, good luck with yours. As I said, embrace the change. Given time, it will change again. It will happen. Congrats on your camper!