cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traffic challenge

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
We were headed into Memphis this week, pulling the TT in the right lane on I-55 with a semi next to us in the left lane. As we approached an entrance ramp at about 60 mph, I watched an SUV coming up the ramp pacing us. She could have speeded up a tad and gotten safely in front of us. Or she could have slowed down a tad and gotten safely behind us. But no. She continued to match our pace until we both arrived at the entrance ramp at the same time. She wound up driving in the entrance ramp right next to our pickup, looked over at us, and started honking. What the ..... ? :?

I guess we were supposed to get out of her way somehow, but running over the semi didn't seem a good option.
98 REPLIES 98

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's amazing what I read on some of these posts, and then they call the "other guy" the "Stupid Driver".

Paul_61
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Paul 61 wrote:
ECones wrote:
We were headed into Memphis this week, pulling the TT in the right lane on I-55 with a semi next to us in the left lane. As we approached an entrance ramp at about 60 mph, I watched an SUV coming up the ramp pacing us. She could have speeded up a tad and gotten safely in front of us. Or she could have slowed down a tad and gotten safely behind us. But no. She continued to match our pace until we both arrived at the entrance ramp at the same time. She wound up driving in the entrance ramp right next to our pickup, looked over at us, and started honking. What the ..... ? :?

I guess we were supposed to get out of her way somehow, but running over the semi didn't seem a good option.

I have had this to happen several times in different locations and have come to the conclusion that the majority of drivers entering the interstates do not know how to enter traffic or just plain do not like living. When it is heavy traffic beside you and behind as for as I am concerned they just going to have to hit the ditch. What else can you do??
I use this as an example - not to pick on Paul.

What would your actions be if that vehicle getting on was a fully loaded double bottom gravel train? If your actions would be different then, then you must consider that you are displaying an "it's all about me" attitude, and you wanting someone to take the ditch, even if they are wrong, is also risking someone losing their life over an "all about me". Not something I would want on my chart when I finally meet my maker.

On the other hand, a little inconvenience on my part even when someone else is wrong gets me some karma somewhere down the line. I meet stupid drivers on the road every day. I expect that the guy next to "is stupid" no matter what. I won't be risking me or them, I'll make allowances for their stupidity and go on. JMHO

We all I can say is I have been their with some pushing behind if I suddenly slow I get hit or if I change lanes I hit some one. In that option only choice is let them go on the sholder or hit the ditch their choice. If I can keep from causing an accident wether speed up or slow down have done that manny times but some time that is not the choice that can be made. I never risk my self and passangers or some one else on the road for a spot but their are many out on the road that will.It looks like often people try to pretend they are driving in a nascar race.
Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Rockwood 2608 WS 2014

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying always or never here. I did say "sometimes" it's better to hold course and speed. My post was aimed at those posters who seemed to indicate they always had a safe and appropriate defensive move available to them. Sometimes that is just not the case. I believe anyone who has done a lot of driving in moderate to heavy freeway traffic will agree.

Understood, and you are absolutely right. In those cases where there is nothing that can be done by a driver on the highway (in the given scenario of merging traffic) then it falls on the merging driver to adjust since the merging driver does not have the right of way. If there is a collision that results, the merging driver will be the one presumed liable in that case.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Heymon wrote:
captnjack wrote:
In a perfect world everyone driving on a freeway would know HOW to drive on a freeway. Simple things like getting on and off safely. But that is just not always the case.
Those who insist it is easily avoidable with a little defensive driving are not being realistic. When you are in the right lane and choose to slow down every time you see a car on the ramp, all of the vehicles behind you also have to slow down. If you choose to speed up, how long before you are dangerously close to the vehicle in front of you? If you choose to move into the left lane, where vehicles are often moving faster, you have to accelerate with your trailer into that lane or hope the vehicles in that lane are all ready to slow down for you. Any one of these actions can have a ripple effect that is possibly dangerous. We haven't even talked about snow, ice, rain, impaired drivers, etc. In light traffic it won't be much of an issue, but many of us drive where roads are heavily traveled.
I'd rather see one driver who brought it on himself skid to a stop than multiple drivers have to all skid to a stop on a freeway.
Sometimes defensive driving means holding your course and speed.

What if that driver doesn't "skid to a stop"? You are right, sometimes holding course and speed is correct, and other times letting off the gas to adjust the gap for merging traffic is correct. No one is saying to slam on the brakes "every time you see a car on the ramp", what I am saying is when you see a car on the ramp that seems to be unaware you need to evaluate your options. You are not required to stay at the same speed regardless of what is going on around you, and sometimes doing so is NOT correct. Thankfully, most of the time entering parties and parties already on the road adjust and merge with no difficulty.

Next time you are in the right lane in moderate to heavy traffic, turn on your cruise control and let us know how it works out.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying always or never here. I did say "sometimes" it's better to hold course and speed. My post was aimed at those posters who seemed to indicate they always had a safe and appropriate defensive move available to them. Sometimes that is just not the case. I believe anyone who has done a lot of driving in moderate to heavy freeway traffic will agree.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
captnjack wrote:

People dive for cover when your turn signals on your mirror come on? That sounds almost magical. Where can I get a pair?

Seriously though, If someone is too distracted to see 50 feet or more of truck trailer combo, what makes you think your mirror signals will do the trick?

We live on a street with a 60kmh (35mph) speed limit and there's a double yellow. Twice in the past year I'v been passed on the left just as I've started to turn into our driveway despite signalling well in advance. Humongous turn signals wouldn't have helped. Some drivers either have a death wish or just shouldn't be allowed to have a drivers licence.

There's some on-ramps around here that are very, very short and you almost need a Ferrari to accelerate up to highway speed. Doesn't help when you have aggressive or impatient drivers behind you. I've also found that many drivers coming up behind you MUST pass you simply because you have an RV and it doesn't matter what speed you're going at or where you are. RV ahead? MUST pass... :M

Distracted driving? BTDT. 15 years ago I was stopped at an intersection on a rural road on a sunny day waiting to turn in a bright orange car with signal on. Guy in a pickup rear-ended me doing about 50mph. I saw him coming up behind me for a mile or two and he went over the center line a number of times. I was lucky not to die. I still vividly remember the rear view mirror standing still (when I last looked in it) and the car being shot forward like a cannon ball. Distracted driver... When I got out he instantly handed me his cell phone (turned on) and asked if I wanted to call someone (no signs of alcohol or other possible contributing factors). 'Course, all he was got penalized for was an increase in insurance premiums for a few years while it's affected me forever. I can't stand it when I see people using cell phones while driving and I think penalties for that should be severe. It's illegal here but it's still quite common. I don't even like adjusting the radio while towing, I focus 100% on the road and driving and let DW do the co-piloting.

At the end of the day, and most importantly when you are towing, use common sense, drive defensively, pay attention to road signs and of course, follow rules of the road. DW will be all over me if I don't signal well in advance. Come to think of it, maybe the back or our TT could do with a big flashing left and right arrow like construction road signs have sometimes.

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
In a perfect world everyone driving on a freeway would know HOW to drive on a freeway. Simple things like getting on and off safely. But that is just not always the case.
Those who insist it is easily avoidable with a little defensive driving are not being realistic. When you are in the right lane and choose to slow down every time you see a car on the ramp, all of the vehicles behind you also have to slow down. If you choose to speed up, how long before you are dangerously close to the vehicle in front of you? If you choose to move into the left lane, where vehicles are often moving faster, you have to accelerate with your trailer into that lane or hope the vehicles in that lane are all ready to slow down for you. Any one of these actions can have a ripple effect that is possibly dangerous. We haven't even talked about snow, ice, rain, impaired drivers, etc. In light traffic it won't be much of an issue, but many of us drive where roads are heavily traveled.
I'd rather see one driver who brought it on himself skid to a stop than multiple drivers have to all skid to a stop on a freeway.

What if that driver doesn't "skid to a stop"? You are right, sometimes holding course and speed is correct, and other times letting off the gas to adjust the gap for merging traffic is correct. No one is saying to slam on the brakes "every time you see a car on the ramp", what I am saying is when you see a car on the ramp that seems to be unaware you need to evaluate your options. You are not required to stay at the same speed regardless of what is going on around you, and sometimes doing so is NOT correct. Thankfully, most of the time entering parties and parties already on the road adjust and merge with no difficulty.

Next time you are in the right lane in moderate to heavy traffic, turn on your cruise control and let us know how it works out.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
am1958 wrote:
gets me some karma somewhere down the line

How do you know?
I am fully aware when good things are happening for me. And I always make sure I say thank-you appropriately.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
dodge guy wrote:

So an accident is the best defense because yielding is the law? Remind me to be extra cautious in TX!

I'm not even sure how you got that from that post. You wrote about "failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident", however in Texas no such law exists when it comes to this situation. It was purely information about the law in Texas. It just shows who has the right of way.

But to respond to this directly I defer to my previous post where I state that slowing down doesn't automatically equate to the safest option. When towing there's a good chance that you already have a decent sized speed differential between you and the traffic flow. Most traffic is already at 70 or beyond while we're down in the 55-65 range. Slowing down will only increases this speed differential. It can get outright dangerous if the person merging can't figure out that you're slowing down to let them in. Increasing the speed differential will further disrupt the flow of traffic and put you at a greater risk of being involved in an accident with the freeway traffic. I'm not saying never slow down. I'm saying that maintaining your speed may be the best option. As stated previously the person entering needs to figure out what they want to do, speed up or slow down. As several have pointed out, if a driver appears to be unaware of the several ton barge barreling down the lane they would like to enter then a, preferably long and drawn out, horn blast will help them become aware of the situation.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
gets me some karma somewhere down the line

How do you know?

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Paul 61 wrote:
ECones wrote:

I have had this to happen several times in different locations and have come to the conclusion that the majority of drivers entering the interstates do not know how to enter traffic or just plain do not like living. When it is heavy traffic beside you and behind as for as I am concerned they just going to have to hit the ditch. What else can you do??
I use this as an example - not to pick on Paul.

What would your actions be if that vehicle getting on was a fully loaded double bottom gravel train? If your actions would be different then, then you must consider that you are displaying an "it's all about me" attitude, and you wanting someone to take the ditch, even if they are wrong, is also risking someone losing their life over an "all about me". Not something I would want on my chart when I finally meet my maker.

On the other hand, a little inconvenience on my part even when someone else is wrong gets me some karma somewhere down the line. I meet stupid drivers on the road every day. I expect that the guy next to "is stupid" no matter what. I won't be risking me or them, I'll make allowances for their stupidity and go on. JMHO

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
What I hate are the on-ramps that angle right into the hwy without paralleling for a good distance. Especially if the view of the folks coming onto the hwy is restricted, they can be very dangerous.

Most on-ramps in Ontario are pretty good, but there's one near us that I'm always very careful around. Sometimes you see folks who were unprepared and had to come to a full stop before entering the hwy.

But generally it's just been the distracted drivers that are my problem. Cell-phone or whatever ...
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I have found that my turn signal mirrors are awesome in the OP situation. People tend to start diving for cover when they come on. Especially when they realize they are in a spot that might not be easily visible to me.

I also tend to not run in the RH lane in congested areas with lots of on and off ramps. However, there are times where you have to get off at the same time someone is getting on. Makes things interesting. For them.

People dive for cover when your turn signals on your mirror come on? That sounds almost magical. Where can I get a pair?

Seriously though, If someone is too distracted to see 50 feet or more of truck trailer combo, what makes you think your mirror signals will do the trick?

What makes me think it? It has happened. Not every time, but it has happened. Nothing magical at all.

I few giant yellow blinking signal lights on the side of the TT would be cool too.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Paul_61
Explorer
Explorer
ECones wrote:

Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Rockwood 2608 WS 2014