cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Flooring Replacement

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
I have to replace the vinyl flooring in my older 19' Dutchmen TT because it split from end to end in the cold of the winter of 13-14.

What's the easiest way to do this that ends up with a decent result? Can I use self-stick 12" square tiles? The subfloor is plywood, not OSB, and is pretty smooth, but I don't know if that stuff will stick. Maybe I need to prep the floor with something?

Do I have to go with continuous sheet vinyl? That would be pretty difficult to get in there, I think. I would have to do it in at least three sections, with little strips of aluminum over the joints. If I have to go with this, should it be glued down? The original has no glue under it. At least that makes it easy to remove the damaged material!

Thanks in advance for the advice I know I'll get!
Al
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9
24 REPLIES 24

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Just a suggestion but you may get more response to your query if you make it clear in your title that it's the vinyl flooring you're wanting to replace, not the floor itself. As far as replacing the vinyl flooring is concerned I have a friend who did this exact repair to his Starcraft TT and has detailed the repair here. I remember following his progress at the time and his approach wasn't for the faint of heart but the results were outstanding. :B

I know your post is from 6 months ago but want to comment on the link provided. Not only did your friends do a great job replacing the flooring, the detailing of the progress was done well too.

Although I was exhausted after reading through it... can't imagine how exhausting and daunting that job would have been and wonder if they ever thought they were making a mistake doing the job when partially in. And this coming from someone who tackles large home improvement jobs to where I'm very particular of the finished project and products used.

I'm sure that daunting feeling started going away the closer they were to finishing the job. Looks great and very professional. In fact, better than the standard "professional" RV builders.
I love me some land yachting

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
I also installed vinyl clip together flooring, much easier than sheet vinyl. my old vinyl was just "perimeter glued", so removal was easy and cut down on extra weight and allowed me to check the condition of the subfloor everywhere. I removed it everywhere, even inside cabinets and under the bed and water heater. that revealed a leaking WH which was replaced

I cut the vinyl "planks" for a snug fit everywhere, no additional trim required. the flooring was installed on a hot humid day so any dimensional changes would result in shrinkage not expansion. after one year there is no signs of stress on the planks, it looks as good as it did the day I installed it
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
The expansion contraction in the cold climates will cause it to split. When they build it they lay the sheet over the floor and build the cabinets and walls over it. I don't know of any glue that will work with the extreme temperature changes. Self sticking tiles will come loose after one season, I tried them. This will work: Take a sharp utility knife and cut around the outside edge of your damaged linoleum. Take the piece or pieces out and lay them over the new sheet of flooring you want to use. This will now serve as a pattern. Lay the new sheet down in the trailer and hold it in place with 1/4 round or base shoe nailed around the perimeter. In the bathroom you can use a metal divider strip that screws in place to cover the seam. The aluminum edge by the entrance door will come up and you can put that over the edge of the sheet goods there. Next, open a beer. you're all done! I've done this on several trailers. The only cure is to head South in the Winter..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Henry 356 worked well

westend
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy wrote:
I would also recommend the interlocking floating laminate flooring. I am considering it my self and my current floor is brand new but ugly. 😄
That's what I thought too.
Here is a cheap Lumber Liquidator's laminate:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I would also recommend the interlocking floating laminate flooring. I am considering it my self and my current floor is brand new but ugly. 😄
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
It appears to NOT have a felt backing, and looking at it I suppose it has a backing of some sort (paper?). It is a 2007 Scamper Kodiak, and I had to peel up the flooring by the door to replace some extensive rot due to a leak. All fixed now. The vinyl was not originally glued down, but now it has to be glued because it wants to roll up. Home Depot doesn't carry Henry 356, you have to order it. Roberts also makes a "multipurpose" adhesive which they do carry. I'll try to find the Henry stuff somewhere local, and if not, do an ingredients comparison between the two to see if they are the same stuff.
I'd suggest to unroll the sheet so it can relax before installation.

Most of the adhesives sold at the big box stores in the "general purpose" category are nearly all the same. The only specialty adhesives are those for outdoor use or specified by a particular mfg. Roberts has been in the flooring business forever. Unless they have been counting too many beans, their adhesive should work well.
I believe "felt backed" is a catch-all term for a fiber backing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever you choose make sure it's free floating. The floor expands and contracts too much fir the self adhesive tiles and quickly creates gaps. Don't ask how I know.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to NOT have a felt backing, and looking at it I suppose it has a backing of some sort (paper?). It is a 2007 Scamper Kodiak, and I had to peel up the flooring by the door to replace some extensive rot due to a leak. All fixed now. The vinyl was not originally glued down, but now it has to be glued because it wants to roll up. Home Depot doesn't carry Henry 356, you have to order it. Roberts also makes a "multipurpose" adhesive which they do carry. I'll try to find the Henry stuff somewhere local, and if not, do an ingredients comparison between the two to see if they are the same stuff.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
I have to glue back the vinyl flooring, but am confused (as are the folks at Home Depot and Lowes) as to what glue I should use. they both sold me Roberts "felt back sheet vinyl adhesive 2001" which says "do not use this adhesive for pure luxury vinyl or vinyl backed products". I've spent over 3 weeks on this repair and would not want to cause a disaster at this point. Suggestions?
What are you trying to install? Does your new vinyl sheet have a paper type backing (most do). I've used Henry's 356, which Home Depot sells. It is a general purpose organic adhesive for sheet flooring.

If you haven't cut the sheet, here's a tip: Cover the skimmed and prepared floor with red rosin construction paper. You'll need to cut and overlap a few pieces. It isn't necessary to get a completely flush cut and install the paper. Take a straightedge (I mostly use a carpenters square) and place the blade against the wall edge on top of your paper (doesn't matter but I usually use the 2" blade). Trace a pencil line on your paper 2" back from any wall edges. Take this paper template out of the trailer, lay it and tape onto your vinyl sheet. Align the straightedge on your traced line and cut that same 2" back from the line. Done correctly, you won't need a base shoe or trim to cover the edge cuts.

You will have to figure out how to fold the sheet to install it but every sheet I've installed is done no more than half the glue spread at one time. If you can cut the sheet to fit, you can perimeter glue it or lightly staple and cover the edge with trim. That affords the sheet to stretch and compress in the trailer. Your call.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
I have to glue back the vinyl flooring, but am confused (as are the folks at Home Depot and Lowes) as to what glue I should use. they both sold me Roberts "felt back sheet vinyl adhesive 2001" which says "do not use this adhesive for pure luxury vinyl or vinyl backed products". I've spent over 3 weeks on this repair and would not want to cause a disaster at this point. Suggestions?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Precut a piece off the roll that is a bit wider than the widest point you have to cover. Get a very good and sharp linoleum knife and blades and go to work. If you misjudge an area then put in some molding/trim.
This is exactly why I suggested an installer handle it.
FWIW, I installed flooring for about 9 years and that is not the way to get it done right. I could write out a detailed instruction sheet for it but there are some things that experience brings that can not be covered.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd go with laminate or the vinyl planks if I were doing it. the sheet vinyl would be a ton of work and it's already failed you once.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, the interlocking vinyl plank is really the best option. I did mine last year and it looked great. Easy to install and waterproof.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents