cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer hitch

kwacko
Explorer
Explorer
Hi new member question I have I have a 2017 palomino puma 31dbts travel trailer I want to install a trailer hitch on the rear of the trailer so I can move it in and out of tight space we have a seasonal site and can not get the truck back in the front with out moving other trailers out of the way thanks Keith Whaley
10 REPLIES 10

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know what kind of terrain you have but years ago my father moved his around with a riding lawnmower. The ground was level and the driveway was concrete. He put a caster wheel under the tongue jack and a ball on the mower. Worked fine. His trailer was a bit smaller and not a whole lot of ground clearance but a 10hp motor maneuvered it around easily.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
How about using a tractor?

What he said ^^^^^^
At my seasonal site I have to hire a skid steer and operator to put my trailer into position or to remove the trailer.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:

What he said ^^^^^^
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you turn the trailer around so the tongue faces out the other way?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer would need to be balanced. A larger trailer with 800lb of tongue weight for example, would create 800lb of lifting force at the bumper if the axles were centered. Think of it as a prybar or lever. But the axles aren't centered, so you would need more than 800lbs pushing down on the rear of the trailer to hold the tongue in the air in this example.

Placing a caster in the hitch or on the jack to support the tongue weight would be necessary in most cases so that you have enough axle weight on the truck to maneuver.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how well that would work since trailers by design have the axles toward the back to create tongue weight.

Even if you get a fabricator to build you a custom "rear tongue", hitching up would be tricky. You would have to raise the normal front jack to force the new coupler down onto the ball, latch it then retract the jack.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Install the hitch on the front of the truck.

That will still leave the truck trapped in by the trailer, just facing the other way.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Install the hitch on the front of the truck.