cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer lights power cord / tether

214skier
Explorer
Explorer
Curious how some of you manage your power cord / tether. When I picked up my rig at the dealer last August, they simply tied the excess (which was dragging on the ground) to the stabilizer bar with a very small bungee cord. This works ok; however, I have lost my bungee cord and the power cord has chafed on the hitch when making extreme turns.

I was wondering if there is an accessory that serves as a sling of sorts, keeping the belly from dragging on the ground while providing the truck / trailer freedom to make tight turns.

Thank you in advance.
2016 Grand Design Solitude 377MB
12 REPLIES 12

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I loop it up and around the tongue jack to take up the excess.

x2
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

x2
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bunge cord that allows the cable to lengthen or shorten depending on the current need.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I converted all my trailers to curl cords 5 yrs ago.I terminated the old wiring at a terminal strip

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

That's what I do as well. All my camping friends do it too.

It's by far the easiest solution.
Bob

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
I tied my some of my cable to the frame with nylon rope. If you use zip ties, use a few and watch them as the plastic becomes brittle over time in direct sun.

The Lowes near me stocks a UV rated outdoor line of zip ties - They're black rather than white/natural. I'm using them to hold up my fence-post stinky slinky holder. But even with them being UV rated, I added a few more this year just to be on the safe side.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Ditto
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
i bought a tongue lock that had a hasp large enough to out my cord in when locked and it keeps it on top and out of the way. Works great

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I tied my some of my cable to the frame with nylon rope. If you use zip ties, use a few and watch them as the plastic becomes brittle over time in direct sun.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
matt_r wrote:
When I picked up my rig at the dealer last August, they simply tied the excess (which was dragging on the ground) to the stabilizer bar with a very small bungee cord.

That's a pretty haphazard solution ... I'd simply dress the cable out to the length needed and use nylon cable ties to secure the excess to trailer frame.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a large, heavy duty zip tie and secure the power cord to the frame leaving enough length so it doesn't bind when turning. Mine is secured back by the coach, long enough not to bind on turns but isn't long enough to sag and hit the ground.
I love me some land yachting