cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer rock

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roo 23SS but my question (I am hoping) is not hybrid specific.

We get rocking in our camper when walking (notice I said walking and not "sleeping" ๐Ÿ™‚ ) in it. I use an X chock on one side (not both) and jacks at the four corners.

I am thinking I don't crank the corner stabilizer jacks down enough???

What is the general rule of thumb to cranking them down? How much should I "lift" the camper?

Cheers~
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
11 REPLIES 11

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I installed additional 7,500 lb rated, scissors stabilizers just in front of the tires. Upon leveling the trailer, I crank them down hard then do the four corners. As a result, I have no noticeable movement.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
In addition to whats been mentioned, I make sure to roll the trailer into one chock before placing the other. This makes for very tight chocking. I can tell when we take the extra time to do this and when we don't.

X2!!!

The first thing you should do before unhooking the tv is to chock the trailer wheels!!! I set one on each side, then using the tv which is still hooked up, I also "roll" the trailer tires into that wheel chock (that is on each side) and then set the e-brake. At that time my wife and/or boys will place the other chock on each side. Then once they are clear I will release the e-brake, and the tt wheels "settle" nice and tight into the wheel chocks.

What type of stabilizer jacks do you have, the scissor jacks or the other style (forget the name at the moment!)? The scissor jacks are a little more stable from what I understand (only style I have ever had).

After leveling front to rear, I then set the stabilizer jack. Once they tough, I will give about a 1/4-1/2 turn depending on just how tight they feel. Don't go to far as you can tweak your trailer frame. I usually will get the trailer plugged in, water hooked up, and slides out. After that I will then set the x-chocks to help prevent any rocking. Doing it in this order allows the tires to cool some more, so the x-chocks stay a little tighter than if setting them right away.

When raising or lowering the trailer tongue, the x-chocks should not be installed as they can be damaged. Do not rely on only the x-chock to prevent the trailer from rolling away either. There are reports of those who did just that having a runaway trailer!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT has 4 crank down stabilizers. They certainly help, but don't stop the rocking when walking to the other end of the trailer.

I bought a set of BAL wheel chocks, looked like this:

Unfortunately, my trailer tires are so close to one another, this type of device is too wide to fit.

I made a set out of a 4x4 wooden post, and a couple of Pony clamps.

This completely fixed the issue.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to whats been mentioned, I make sure to roll the trailer into one chock before placing the other. This makes for very tight chocking. I can tell when we take the extra time to do this and when we don't.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the topic has been covered. I will just add that when my 4 corner jacks hit the ground I give them 2 turns to assure they are snug. Slight rocking will occur when walking, but it is minimal and does not cause annoyance.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Use bigger Rocks? I use screw jacks under the slider and crank my 4 corners down pretty solid. Don't lift the trailer.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is very long and we've always noticed rocking. My solution was to put threaded jacks against the frame right in front of the trailer wheels. This helps take the leaf springs out of the mix and eliminate flex in the middle of the trailer frame. Once I started doing this my trailer felt much more firm.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Question is how much can you tolerate. Most lightweight TTs, even if you put jacks under the frame and lifted them off the suspension, will still have somewhat bouncy floors when you walk around. That's part of the lightweight compromise, and the Roo is about as lightweight as RV construction can get.

Cranking harder on the corner jacks, which are mounted under the floor rather than under the frame, will not help that much and can possibly warp the house structure. Immobilizing the wheels can help some, but you can still get tire and suspension bounce so long as part of the weight is supported by the suspension.

I find the same issue in stick and brick houses. The lightweight trussed floors used since the 1980s are a whole lot less stable than 1920s joist construction, and neither is as solid as walking on a concrete slab.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We used these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Stack-Jacks/14504363

The goal is to get as much weight off of the suspension so I used one of these jacks at each corner of the frame. Most of the time I was able to get the tires off of the ground and the trailer was rock solid even when sleeping..wink, wink, nod, nod...

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
The stabilizer are not really designed to "lift", but once mine touch the ground I give them an extra little turn...less than a quarter turn- just a little ummmfff.

Since they will settle on many surfaces (dirt/gravel/grass) I check them daily to see if they need snugged up.

Please remember that an RV is not a house. It is designed to wiggle, rock & roll. You may not need to tip-toe around the RV, but you can't go stomping around either.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I hve noticed over many years of camping that the rock increases the longr we stay. Starts out minimal increases. I chock both sides and do one complete revolution of the crank handle after touch down. Not sure if this is correct?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)