cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer shakes on new tongue jack

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
I had a jack problem a week before a big trip. Since I didn't have much time and I got a deal on a US$100 4000lbs ultra-fab jack.

But once the trailer is fully deployed I can move the tongue with my hand and shake the trailer. It is also bad when walking inside. I have the X choks and 4 arm jack stabilizers (unfortunately I don't have the arm stabilizers that would connect the two front ones to the middle of the trailer).

Also, the new jack diameter is 2" while the old one was 2" 1/2.

Is there anything in my setup that I could do to improve this?

For now I'm leaving my car hooked up when possible. That seems to fix it.

By the way, we are now almost at the end of a 2500 miles trip through Idaho, Montana and Utah.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)
10 REPLIES 10

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If the jack works, leave it alone. Put stabilizer jacks on the front of the trailer same as on the rear.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I started building equipment trailers in 1975, working my way through college. All the jacks that I mounted had a plate with a hole that had a snug fit for the jack. Today, you can buy the plates and if they are made "correctly", they are snug. A loose plate is almost worthless. Remember, most couplers have the same angle so the plates should be all similar for a particular shaft size jack. If the reinforcing plate has too large of hole, then either the wrong size jack was installed, or the plate wasn't made correctly.

Early on, I went to pintle hitches so I no longer had a couper to mount the jack to. I used structural channel on the top, for the jack and I still used the reinforcing plate on the bottom of the frame.

When the trailers get over about 12,000# GVW, then I went to the large square jacks that are similar to the semi truck, trailer jacks.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
Properly built trailers will have the bottom guide for those types of jacks. That is too much leverage for the coupler to hold.

I have never seen a bottom plate that had a perfect fit for the jack. In my photo, you can see a bottom plate but any clearance there will allow the jack to sway, so I fixed it.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Properly built trailers will have the bottom guide for those types of jacks. That is too much leverage for the coupler to hold.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
While the larger diameter will help the shake, there is usually clearance that still allows the jack to move. I made a plate to support the jack at the bottom of the tongue.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
My mentality is that it came with a 2.25" shaft for a reason - bigger trailer and more tongue weight. Go back to the 2.25" shaft.

If I could get an even larger shaft for my trailer I would though I believe it's impossible as 2.25" is the largest I have seen. Then, I even have more tongue weight around 1600-1800lbs depending on load.

Edit: I think the OP meant 2.25" jack. I'm not aware of a 2.5" or larger... please tell if I'm wrong as I would prefer a larger one.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. So much for fitting 2 and 2 1/2"....
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Use wood blocks, the biggest that will fit, to keep the extended length of the shaft as short as possible.

Mike
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
buy a 2 1/2" jack.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
$100 is an almost a, "too good to be true," deal on a 4K power tongue jack...also the wrong size shaft.
More than likely a higher quality Barker or Atwood in the correct shaft size would make a big difference.

(I fully realize that I have only stated the obvious and have no idea how to 'fix' the problem with your current jack)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro