Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for the best trailer tires I can find for hot weather
Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years in high heat of Texas, Nevada and western states summers I had excellent results with Maxxis ST and Goodyear tires on my 28 foot 4500lb TT that was always heavily loaded. No flats or blowouts and only one minor valve stem leek that was quickly fixed in small town of Salina UTAH. K&K auto and diesel was PDQ and friendly. Good folks. This was in 2012 I believe. Cheers to the die hards.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
savitri99 wrote:
Any suggestions?
I am in Phoenix AZ. They are calling for 118 here on Sun.I ran Michelin XPS RIBS for 15 trouble free years here. Not cheap, but you did not ask about the price. Smart. One blowout can cause enough damage to pay for a lot of tires. Not to mention a ruined trip. If you want more info, PM me.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on my 3rd set of Maxxis and have no complaints
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
savitri99 wrote:
Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.
RV trailers can come with 13" tires at 1300 lbs capacity or the big guys 17.5" at over 6000 lbs capacity.
You will get better selections if we knew your trailer OEM tire size and load ranges.
Trailers gvwr.....axle ratings is helpful.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
We have been towing in Texas. 105+ degrees. We've had no issues with our Goodyear tires on our trailer.I was concerned when I saw 111 degrees on the monitor, until I checked the outside temperature. It was 106.
Mark

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carlisle, have been using them for years with no issues.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Wow, this topic has never come up before.
OP you can find more info than you want on this forum already.
But this will be a good place for the hard headed to congregate and claim you should get LT tires.
And PS, if you do want help and canโ€™t search then at least provide some more info. You just asked who has the best French fries basically.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
CapriRacer wrote:
Look for tires with a cap ply (or more than one!) Cap plies will be in the tire description on the sidewall - as in Tread: 2 plies Polyester, 2 steel and 2 nylon. The nylon = cap plies. Sometimes it is called polyamide.

I don't ever think I will buy a nylon capped tire again. My old types were 2+2+1 and they were the typical using polyester and nylon, the new tires I got are 2+2+2 but labeled all steel belted radial so no Polly or nylon belts. I was reading this has something to do with the side stresses put on a multi axel unit's tires when doing tight turns, but I can seem to find that article again. I had one blow out last summer and when I went to replace it this spring, I found two others that were rounded across the top of the tread so that indicates they were separating. 4 brand new tires this year with hopefully better construction.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
CapriRacer wrote:
Look for tires with a cap ply (or more than one!) Cap plies will be in the tire description on the sidewall - as in Tread: 2 plies Polyester, 2 steel and 2 nylon. The nylon = cap plies. Sometimes it is called polyamide.

Agree, the newer nylon capped ST tires will generally run cooler. Look for the higher speed rated brands. I recently installed another set of Provider STs, after running the same, for 8 previous years.

Heat is often due to sidewall flex, from lack of support, due to design, or under inflation.

Buy the proper ST tire for your load, and run them at max pressure indicated on the sidewall, for coolest running. While you can lower
ST tire pressure to match your exact wt, as scaled, to improve the ride, it will increase heat.

Jerry

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back when I had my TT I got tried of blowing out the tires that came on the the TT so I replaced them with pickup truck tires & didn't have any problems with them.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't know of any tires built just for hot weather. Why not just get good ST tires and use them? I have used the same tires for hot and cold as they are designed to handle temperature changes. Goodyear Endurance is the best ST tire in my opinion. Not an issue on three trailers and have used them since they came out in 2017. They do not have to be kept at maximum pressure either. The Goodyear site has a load vs inflation chart to go by.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member