cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailers and boats

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! I would like to know how folks who have TT and boats use both. I have a neighbor who tows a his boat behind his trailer. I don't want to do that. The boat I am interested in is 17 feet in length and weighs in at about 100 pounds. I would think I could get a rack for my truck and get it up there. Any ideas on carrying a boat?
23 REPLIES 23

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Did I read that right? A 17' boat that weighs 100 pounds?

I tow my 16' Lund fishing boat (over 2500 pounds) behind my 5er. Honestly no different than towing single.

If you don't want to go that route, you can get something smaller as suggested (belly boat, kayak, porta boat), make two trips, take two tow vehicles, or keep the RV somewhere permanently.

Those are some of the reasons I have gone the towing tandem route.

Maybe he has a rowboat

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I carry my 14' Porta Bote beneath my trailer with ratchet straps.
I currently have a 5'er but I carried beneath my prior TT as well.
I power it with a 8.0 hp Nissan outboard. Works well
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Did I read that right? A 17' boat that weighs 100 pounds?

I tow my 16' Lund fishing boat (over 2500 pounds) behind my 5er. Honestly no different than towing single.

If you don't want to go that route, you can get something smaller as suggested (belly boat, kayak, porta boat), make two trips, take two tow vehicles, or keep the RV somewhere permanently.

Those are some of the reasons I have gone the towing tandem route.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
We LOVE it.
My wife and I like to fish on a lot of the lakes associated with State Parks and National Forests that we camp at. We were always stuck fishing from shore, because with a travel trailer you cannot pull a boat behind. (I wouldn't do it even if I had a 5'er).

It was actually my teenaged nephew who told us about his portabote. They come in 8, 10 12 and 14 foot models. I bought a 12 footer. It has 3 seats that give it rigidity and it is around 75 pounds. I can handle it myself if I have to, but usually my spouse and I carry it to the water. It can take up to about a 6 horse motor, but I just use a trolling motor. I bought the mounts for it (they are kind of pricey, I think they were around $100) but you can easily make some if you are handy. Below are some photos showing how I attached the mounts to the travel trailer. My wife was a bit skeptical about me drilling 4 holes in her new TT, but even she admitted it turned out nice. And she appreciates getting out on the lakes.

Here's a link to porta-bote's website, which has info and videos: link

There are also lots of videos on Youtube, just google porta bote videos.

Here's how I mounted mine:
1st photo - front bracket showing plastic backer board cut to match contour of RV siding.
2nd photo - rear mount test fit (this was mounted through an existing stud and inside bolts were hidden from view under the sink cabinet.
3rd photo - front bracket did not hit a stud, so had to cut interior wall and insert a "cripple stud" to keep aluminum siding from crushing.
4th photo - used 3/4" oak boards to span between existing studs and to cover the cripple stud.
5th photo - the finished job!

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead...de-rail my thread! I would like to hear how the Porta-boat works as well.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Not to derail this thread, but how do you like your porta bote ? It would be good to get feedback from someone who's got one.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's how I mount my boat. It adds 4 inches in width to my trailer, which means it is still within the legal width limit.
The boat is a 12 foot porta-bote. It weighs about 75 pounds. The 3 seats, gear and motor go in the back of the truck. Works great and I can set it up in about 15 minutes.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I carry my camper on the truck (truck camper) and pull the boat behind (20 foot with a V8 engine.)

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Mike! My camping trips are always fishing related and I have several friends who use float tubes, kayaks, and other small water craft. One in particular does just what you describe; he has a rack on his TV and secures his boat on the rack. Once he gets his TT positioned, he just slides the boat off the rack and he is ready to wet a hook or two. If I'm not mistaken he got the ladder rack at either Lowe's or Home Depot.
Times fun when you're having flies!