cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission lines

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we had a transmission line unclip and lost a ton a fluid on the road. Lucky us, a race car shop owner rescued us and got us going in short order. Just now a transmission line higher up in the engine compartment broke, leaving a huge mess, fortunately just as I parked at our lot. Is this something that Ram's experience?

The lower ones don't have clips like Ford's and Chevy"s according to the race car shop owner. I haven't seen the current line as it's still in the shop .

Just curious... A $350 line this time... sounds like something I could have done but too late now.

Thx for any info.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually
6 REPLIES 6

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lar's wrote:
Finally getting back: Truck is a 2015, 50,000 miles, seen very little snow because it's been in Texas or AZ every winter. The line that broke was the block with both lines from the top, side of the engine. I kept the piece and it looked like a small pin hole next to the connection point. It seems pretty strange to me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems... I guess not.

We've been on the road for a week so not much computer time.

I am on the TDR the original Cummins/RAM forum and have never heard of this problem on a 4th gen RAM.

Guess you were lucky. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lar's wrote:
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems... I guess not.

You will get a lot more input about possible problems by checking out a RAM HD truck forum.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Finally getting back: Truck is a 2015, 50,000 miles, seen very little snow because it's been in Texas or AZ every winter. The line that broke was the block with both lines from the top, side of the engine. I kept the piece and it looked like a small pin hole next to the connection point. It seems pretty strange to me.

We've been on the road for a week so not much computer time.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
On the up-side, there’s only 2 trans cooler lines so you got em both replaced now!

Otherwise, never see them just come un-clipped, I know GMs had some leak prone fittings for several years back in the early 2000s.

But you haven’t provided enough info to talk specifically to your issue.
Truck age, rust, etc?
Both came un hooked?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well let's see........."Ram 3500 Dually" is this enough info to answer your question???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
The lines are sealed with O rings and kept in place with snap rings. The plastic "cap" must be in place to prevent separation. For some reason lines like to rust under the support brackets. The quality seems to vary as some like to go on forever while others not so much. Be surprised if they gave out before 150000 km.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision