cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer History Report?

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend of mine just bought a new travel trailer. After getting it home and giving it a closer inspection he suspects that it had been used as a rental unit at the dealership, then sold as a brand new camper. Is there a website where he can verify his suspicions? He is not a happy person right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

FloridaTime
Explorer
Explorer
When I sold RV's we used fridges all the time for keeping cold bottles of water scattered around the lot for shoppers as they went thru the units and sometimes cookies also. I know we never used a microwave in one though but who knows someone may have kept their leftovers in the trailer also! It was also very common for employees to use campers on weekends for fun so maybe an employee had used it for a night or two and just didn't clean up after themselves. Despite what a lot of folks think dealership employees in the RV industry like to camp.

If it was a rental it would have had to be plated and titled for insurance reasons so if it was sold new then I highly doubt it was a rental.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our dealer would not rent the new TT we were interested in but he was happy to rent a similar 3 year old model with the same floor plan. It was very well kept.

We took it for 10 days in the Ozarks and discovered we really did not like the floor plan. 🙂 I was better to discovered this before we purchased.

I doubt a deal would rent a new TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If it was used as a rental then it had to be titled and plated by the dealer. Should be pretty easy to figure out.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other thing to consider is the unit was hauled from the manufacturer to the destination.

However, I would sooner suspect it was a show model. Maybe even an RV show model.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Funny thing while shopping. We look in a small unit and both of us laughed at the smell. We were sure employees were getting stoned in it. Don't ask how we know that smell. Salesman comes along and makes some comment about the smell of this particular brand when new and closed up in the heat. We looked at each other and rolled our eyes. Sure enough we look at another of that brand and the same smell. Maybe he was telling the truth. Maybe they use skunk based glue. No idea.

:B

Ha.......skunky was it lol......should of tracked that salesman down....he my have been hawking more than campers.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beowolf wrote:
Funny thing while shopping. We look in a small unit and both of us laughed at the smell. We were sure employees were getting stoned in it. Don't ask how we know that smell. Salesman comes along and makes some comment about the smell of this particular brand when new and closed up in the heat. We looked at each other and rolled our eyes. Sure enough we look at another of that brand and the same smell. Maybe he was telling the truth. Maybe they use skunk based glue. No idea.

:B

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SETenn wrote:
A good friend of mine just bought a new travel trailer. After getting it home and giving it a closer inspection he suspects that it had been used as a rental unit at the dealership, then sold as a brand new camper. Is there a website where he can verify his suspicions? He is not a happy person right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SETenn wrote:
No buyers remorse. The food particles in he microwave and fridge are a good clue. And the dealer rents travel trailers.

Maybe not buyers remorse, but certainly your friends lack of doing his due diligence on a high ticket purchase. Sort of akin to buying a new $65K pickup and not bothering to look at the odometer, or take a walk around looking for dents, scratches, or other damage. What does it take to open and look at the microwave and fridge, 10 seconds? He should of done that to see if the doors and latches actually worked, let alone to see if they actually turned on and operated.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Beowolf
Explorer
Explorer

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the sales staff using it to warm up lunch and keep refreshments cold like hawkeye said ... particularly if the camper had ever been to an RV show. Many times at RV shows I have seen salespeople use the refrigerator to keep drinks and food cold.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
What did the salesman say during the buyer's PDI?

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
It also could have been as simple as sales staff using it to warm up their lunch and keep their refreshments cold.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Served as employee(s) break room or hangout maybe?
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think he is just SOL. As stated, never titled who knows what the dealer did. Maybe he let some use it over night as a test camper they were wanting to buy. You know, like rest driving a car? Folks are always saying that they wish they could test drive or test camp their camper before purchasing.

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
No buyers remorse. The food particles in he microwave and fridge are a good clue. And the dealer rents travel trailers.