cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer (Park Model) in Florida - Tie Downs - Help!

WhatTheHeck
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am so frazzled and really need advice/input from you all.

I just bought a Travel Trailer (Park Model) that I am going to use at a RV lot.

Someone informed me to call the county for a tie down permit - I called them and they informed me that if I plan to tie it down it then makes my travel trailer a "permanent" structure and I will have to pay $7,000 to do this. To tie it down, they pull a mobile home residential building permit and the hefty fees goes to schools, police, fire etc.

I told her that this is not a mobile home - the title clearly states that it is a "travel trailer". They said that the closest thing that have for this fee is "mobile home" and it would fall in that category anyway (even though it is NOT a mobile home).

FYI - the RV place doesn't even allow mobile homes or manufactured homes, but they allow park models of course as it is a travel trailer.

I informed them that I would only want to tie it down just in case if a hurricane /strong winds happened to keep it from moving around and it may be moved half the year to somewhere else, depending on where we go. They told me that if it is going to be considered temporary and we don't tie it down, then it won't be considered permanent and we won't have to pay the fee.

This makes no sense to me. The tie downs only go into the dirt and is not permanent like cement. The only purpose is to prevent the thing from flying around in high winds.

When I told them it wasn't a mobile home, they basically said "it's the same thing if you tie it down" because that is the "closest category" that they have. The wheels and axles stay on the park model, unlike a mobile home.

Can anyone shed some light on their experience with this? Someone told me to just tie it down anyway for safety of the vehicle AND for the others in the park next to me. I don't want to do anything that will get me in big trouble just because I want things to be safe.

Any input would greatly help. Thank you.

PS - if you would feel more comfortable answering me privately and not publicly, please feel free to send me a private message instead. Thank you.
18 REPLIES 18

WhatTheHeck
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Forget about 'tying it down'
Travel Trailer/Park model is NOT built like a Mobile Home or Manufactured Home.

Tie Downs in dirt will only give YOU the false sense of safety.

Hurricane will just rip out those tie downs flip that trailer over.

IF hurricane happens you should already be gone to a SAFE place. NOT in that trailer.

Tie downs -----permanent--- are labor intensive, expensive and MUST be done to code

Thanks Old Biscuit - I see your point and I was thinking the same thinking the same thing about the tie downs in the dirt. Not sure how they consider those tie downs - only a few feet long - into the dirt makes it "permanent".

It reminded me of putting up a tent and putting those little stakes in the ground to prevent it from getting blown away in the wind and saying it makes it permanent. Tie downs in the dirt don't really make it "permanent" - at least to me. It would just get ripped out of the dirt with a hurricane.

If a hurricane does come, you better believe I am out of there - someone's house or a shelter somewhere where I know I will be safe.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget about 'tying it down'
Travel Trailer/Park model is NOT built like a Mobile Home or Manufactured Home.

Tie Downs in dirt will only give YOU the false sense of safety.

Hurricane will just rip out those tie downs flip that trailer over.

IF hurricane happens you should already be gone to a SAFE place. NOT in that trailer.

Tie downs -----permanent--- are labor intensive, expensive and MUST be done to code
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

WhatTheHeck
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your input Dennis.

It is 398 square feet inside.

The length of the unit itself is 33 feet long - add a few more feet for the tongue.

From what they said, if I just do not tie it down then the fees are not required. Maybe I will do this instead and keep it "temporary".

I am a bit discouraged with this. Maybe I will turn around and sell the unit and get a motor home - not sure.

In this case, SIZE does NOT matter to them. They never asked about size when I called. I never told them it was a Park Model travel trailer and they never asked. I simply just said "travel trailer" and nothing else.

They basically said that ANY travel trailer that will be tied down will be considered permanent. Which means even if you had a smaller 16' RPOD travel trailer or even a tiny 13' Scamp. It did not matter the size of the unit - only if it was to be "tied down".

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sound simple to me....if you tie it down, it's a permanent unit. Pay the fees and be done with it. If you don't and tie it down anyway, I'd suspect the fine for not getting the permit might be more than the fee. Also, I would also suspect the park might be liable for allowing you to do so. Mobile home parks operate under different rules than do campgrounds. I wouldn't guess a campground would want to tangle with the city about the difference in rules. We have a couple campground owners on here that might provide better insight. Westernrvparkowner and SDcampgroundowner....good luck...Dennis

Definitions:

PARK MODELS AND MOBILE HOMES

Park Model Motorhomes, Mobile Home: A unit built on a single chassis mounted on wheels designed to facilitate relocation from time to time but not intended to be towed on a regular basis. It may be connected to those utilities necessary for operation of installed fixtures and appliances. It has a gross floor area, including lofts, not exceeding 50m, when in the setup mode, and having a width greater than 2.6m in the transit mode.

On further edit, it appears the main thrust mobile vs recreational is the size. How large is this park model? Square footage must be less than 400 sq ft....D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG