cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer with soft spots on the floor

bwharper78
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Crossroads Z-1 251-BH. I noticed a soft spot in the floor, in the front bedroom just under the window. Over the course of a few weeks, the spot has become worse and it almost feels like you could step through it. Upon deeper inspection, the floor is soft along the wall toward the front of the camper and into the storage compartments on both sides. It does not seem to be going to far into the interior of the trailer, but rather is hugging the walls.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of problem or have any advice?

I believe my biggest concern right now is identifying and fixing any water leaks. I am planning on taking it to an RV shop to do a Sealtech pressure test.

Beyond that, I am not sure I can afford to have a shop repair the floor so I may take that on myself. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You should inspect to see if you have a composite foam-core panel for a floor or sheathing attached to joists. The latter is easier to fix. The foam sandwich can be problematic.

Every travel trailer I've repaired had the floor installed underneath the exterior walls. When the floor decking needs to be removed, it is the world of a thousand staples and screws. A reciprocating saw and a grinder become your new friends.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Pitiful. 2012!! I know all metal top to bottom is expensive like our Camp lite, but really this is unacceptable. The least they could offer is marine grade plywood. But even Airstream gets away with plywood floor. Remember. Over time they all leak. Especially with slides.

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
We also had a soft floor in entire forward section of TT. We cut out the wet wood and replace/fitted with marine plywood. The water was leaking in from truck back tires water splash into the TT. The forward TT under-section was not properly sealed.
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I have fixed a few problems with our floor in the past. The wood was soft...I peeled back the carpet in the front bed area and found that it extended into the front storage compartment. I took out the old wood, used my table saw to cut the new floor joists into the right size, made a box using them to attach into the floor structure. Screwed it in and then attached the new flooring piece. Put the carpet back down and redone the area in the storage area.
Mark

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Depends how bad it is. I had my eye on a soft spot for some time. Had a seal test done, leak fixed and it has not gotten any worse in the past year. The soft spot in my rv is between the bath tub and toilet- where no one would ever step anyway.

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear about that. That camper isn't that old. We had a roof leak that I repaired myself. I'm am now paranoid about leaks and will Dicor anything suspicious. I hope it's not that bad.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a WAG, you are probably looking at replacing the roof and part of the floor. Big job and very expensive if you can't do it yourself.

Don't shoot the messenger, your RV may be totaled. Call your insurance and check your coverage.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
If it is just the floor you can just lay another layer of marine plywood over the whole floor but it probably goes further than that. Water can travel across the whole trailer before you notice it. Might be the roof or the window or something from several feet away.

Once the leak test is done you will have a better idea what might be involved. Hopefully it is something simple.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Could be from a leaky window and if your floor is soft it's rotting and breaking up. Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance