cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 in Shank on WDH

hprince
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 12 in shank coming out of my receiver on my truck, I need about 4 more inches to be able to lower my tailgate without hitting my trailer jack. Several companies offer a 16 in shank but I am concerned about extending out that much farther and creating stress problems on the receiver and hitch. Has anyone used the 16 in shank and have you had any problems with doing so, my trailer weighs about 7000# loaded, pulling with a 3/4 ton truck.
38 REPLIES 38

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know if you feel any difference towing. I went from a 14" shank to a 7"~~ Quality S shanks years ago and the difference was very noticeable with the amount of felt trailer sway.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
:C:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:C

I guess that if one cannot use the English language then little faces are in order. Pretty juvenile.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
hprince wrote:
Thanks LarryJM, I received the new 16in shank today, you answered my question and had the info that I needed without all of the speculation of doom and gloom.

:C:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:B:C
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hprince
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks LarryJM, I received the new 16in shank today, you answered my question and had the info that I needed without all of the speculation of doom and gloom.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
iagary wrote:
I am the OP from the similar thread over on the towing forum. I also have ordered a longer shank - going from 10" to 14". This is a Husky hitch.

I posed this question over on that forum: The 2014 Ford F150 towing guide says nothing about the length of the hitch shank. How do we know what length of shank was used to determine their tow ratings. Perhaps they used a longer shank and if we go to a shorter shank maybe we actually increase the capability of the receiver?

I am still using a standard hitch shank provided by the manufacturer of my hitch. I do not consider it an "extension". It is supposed to be delivered today. I should get it installed in the next week and will go through the WD hitch adjustment procedure to determine if I need to make any changes. I will be towing 1000+ miles in August. will post back on the towing forum thread my results as well.

Some of your comments echo what I said originally as an owner/user of one of these "LOOONG" shanks for over 35 years and approaching 150K miles towing w/o a single identifiable issue. All this "hand waving", "red herring" thrashing about is just that and those attempting to present some perceived "NEGATIVE" on this can't give or cite a SINGLE documented reliable example or reference to where this extended shank has presented even the smallest of issues. I almost fell out of my chair on the floor LMAO when the discussion turned to concern over the increased side forces on the rear of the TV rear axle due to this increase (if it is in fact an increase as you like me have questioned which is which and nobody knows for sure AFAIK). That's because IMO IT DOESN't EXIST, but some folks I guess just like to hear themselves.

My recommendation is to ENJOY your longer shank and the flexibility it offers and use it with confidence and don't give it more than a "fleeting" second thought if you find yourself w/o anything to worry about.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Just give that hitch the shank already!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
I am the OP from the similar thread over on the towing forum. I also have ordered a longer shank - going from 10" to 14". This is a Husky hitch.

I posed this question over on that forum: The 2014 Ford F150 towing guide says nothing about the length of the hitch shank. How do we know what length of shank was used to determine their tow ratings. Perhaps they used a longer shank and if we go to a shorter shank maybe we actually increase the capability of the receiver?

I am still using a standard hitch shank provided by the manufacturer of my hitch. I do not consider it an "extension". It is supposed to be delivered today. I should get it installed in the next week and will go through the WD hitch adjustment procedure to determine if I need to make any changes. I will be towing 1000+ miles in August. I will post back on the towing forum thread my results as well.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:

OMG!! If 2" results in 1.125 increase in side force, then a 20 truck camper extension will result in 11.25 times increase in side force. How ya gonna keep it on the road

That is why I don't like to teach. Some folks don't read well. The difference was six inches, not two. 54 divided by 48 equals 1.125

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I have no problem with hitch extensions and use one myself when towing a particular cargo trailer. Having said that, if the trailer is exerting X amount of force to shove the rear of my pickup into the ditch, I don't see the need to make it 1.125 X. I contend that horizontal as well as vertical forces contribute to making a safe and enjoyable tow. I could be wrong.

OMG!! If 2" results in 1.125 increase in side force, then a 20 truck camper extension will result in 11.25 times increase in side force. How ya gonna keep it on the road
RVing since 1995.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with hitch extensions and use one myself when towing a particular cargo trailer. Having said that, if the trailer is exerting X amount of force to shove the rear of my pickup into the ditch, I don't see the need to make it 1.125 X. I contend that horizontal as well as vertical forces contribute to making a safe and enjoyable tow. I could be wrong.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
hprince wrote:
I ordered the 16in shank from Amazon, should be here by Tues. I will get it mounted and setup and report back if I see any changes in the way affects my WDH setup or towing.

It will work well. Unless, you get in an emergency situation where that little bit of extra sideways leverage swings the trailer around on you. There is a reason that fifth wheels and any other hitches that keep the tow point close to the rear axle are more stable.

Typically, the ball mount is about 48" from the rear axle. Increasing this to 54" results in a 12.5 percent increase in the side force that the trailer can apply to the rear tires of the tow vehicle. Not much during normal situations, I agree.

Tom, I see your point, but I think your points are better made for extensions (like those used for towing a boat when the truck has an 11' camper on it), rather than a 4" longer shank. While I don't disagree that a longer shank changes the forces, I would say that longer shanks are designed to handle what they are rated for. I would also suggest folks make sure the receiver is up to the task, along with the rest of the setup.

I didn't order a longer shank to clear my tailgate, I just installed the shank that I ordered and it happens to clear. The shank I have is the one recommended by the company that makes my receiver. I think I will be okay.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
hprince wrote:
I ordered the 16in shank from Amazon, should be here by Tues. I will get it mounted and setup and report back if I see any changes in the way affects my WDH setup or towing.

It will work well. Unless, you get in an emergency situation where that little bit of extra sideways leverage swings the trailer around on you. There is a reason that fifth wheels and any other hitches that keep the tow point close to the rear axle are more stable.

Typically, the ball mount is about 48" from the rear axle. Increasing this to 54" results in a 12.5 percent increase in the side force that the trailer can apply to the rear tires of the tow vehicle. Not much during normal situations, I agree.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
hprince wrote:

Good call 😉
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

hprince
Explorer
Explorer