cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

travel trailer

bobbbee
Explorer
Explorer
look to purchase a travel trailer with Murphy bed under 23 feet long. What brands to look at and which to stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Bob D
16 REPLIES 16

socialstudiesmo
Explorer
Explorer
The Jayco Hummingbird has one with a murphy bed.

17 MBS
2018 Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
2014 Jayco Greyhawk BH

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
KZ Connect makes a few, here is one : https://www.kz-rv.com/products/connect-travel-trailers/lite-C201RB.html this is 20' with a slide out and Murphy bed option. We love our KZ.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

OC-RV
Explorer
Explorer
We are purchasing a Venture Sonic SN220VRB. Comes with a Murphy bed that the wife can retire to
And I can watch TV at the dinette until Iโ€™m ready to go to bed. Just a possibility to consider. Take Care, John
John
2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP

jhfxrtleeh1
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design has a 21 bunkhouse with a Murphy, and no slide -- Imagine XLS 21 BH. I think it's new this year -- we just looked at one last week. Decent holding tanks for the size; stove, microwave and fridge, and good sized bathroom. The only problem I had with it is the black leather (or fake leather?? I HATE leather) and the dark cabinets -- I don't think you have any color options, either. If it wasn't for that, we'd have a new trailer sitting in the driveway getting ready for a trip to the beach next week.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why we have a lot of choices. For us, my wife usually goes to bed before I do, and usually I will wake up in the middle of the night and will sit up for a little while before going back to bed.

Couldn't do that if we had a Murphy bed, since the Murphy bed covers the sofa.

theoldwizard1 wrote:
Atlee wrote:

That said, TT's with Murphy beds do have a couple of short comings that should be noted. 1) The inconvenience of having to flatten the sofa and then drop down the Murphy bed every time one wants to go to sleep. 2) In the old styles, not sure of the newer floor plans, the Murphy beds models lost most of the pass thru storage to the Murphy bed.

I would gladly spend the additional time to set up a Murphy bed in exchange for decent sofa and not having to look a bed that is likely going to just catch "stuff" all day long that will have to be moved before sleeping.

Newer Murphy beds trailers gave back some some of that lost storage space.

donn0128 wrote:
Never seen one with a "murphy bed". Lots of shorter trailers with jacknife sofas. Most of those the beds are horrible at best.

Jacknife beds are no where near as comfortable.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:
bobbbee wrote:
look to purchase a travel trailer with Murphy bed under 23 feet long. What brands to look at and which to stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Bob D

Gee! What size Murphy bed did you want anyway?:B

I was just gonna say that all Murphy Beds are under 23 feet, but you beat me to it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
bobbbee wrote:

Thanks in advance

Bob D

Gee! What size Murphy bed did you want anyway?:B

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's only a handful of large corporations who build travel trailers under several different names, sometimes on the same production line, with the same people. That is why you'll see multiple brand names with same floor plans. Flagstaff and Rockwood for example, the only difference between the two are decals, exterior color, and interior colors.

When it comes to the appliances, electronics, frames and undercarriage, there are even fewer companies building those, for everybody.

Over the years, I've owned five different brands. They all had issues here and there, only one went in for warranty work. If I had the tools to remove and replace a slide out, that one probably would not have gone in either. Seven years later, I still have it.

When these things get dragged down our bad roads, at 65+ MPH, things are going to come apart. Screws and plumbing fittings will come loose and caulking beads will crack, doesn't matter who put it together.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passport Express
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

That said, TT's with Murphy beds do have a couple of short comings that should be noted. 1) The inconvenience of having to flatten the sofa and then drop down the Murphy bed every time one wants to go to sleep. 2) In the old styles, not sure of the newer floor plans, the Murphy beds models lost most of the pass thru storage to the Murphy bed.

I would gladly spend the additional time to set up a Murphy bed in exchange for decent sofa and not having to look a bed that is likely going to just catch "stuff" all day long that will have to be moved before sleeping.

Newer Murphy beds trailers gave back some some of that lost storage space.

donn0128 wrote:
Never seen one with a "murphy bed". Lots of shorter trailers with jacknife sofas. Most of those the beds are horrible at best.

Jacknife beds are no where near as comfortable.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Murphy bed trailer will sleep just as well as a TT with a regular island queen.

donn0128 wrote:
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see only two Rockwoods under 23 feet, as OP specified, with a Murphy bed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bobbbee wrote:

The Rockwood Mini Lite series probably offers more models than any with a Murphy bed. However, some find the sofa when converted to a bed less than ideal for comfort and you'd want to be aware that cargo storage is really limited compared to a trailer with a queen walk around bed and front pass through cargo compartment.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has a few. Hereโ€™s a link to their brochure. Winnebago TT.

The top left picture on the back cover is our rig.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)