cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: Cottonwood Canyon Rd, GSENM, Utah

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of exploring this famous route within the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Countless boondocking opportunities are to be had along this route and in the Monument. It's not quite as spectacular as the nearby Burr Trail, but it does come in a close second.

Trip Report: Cottonwood Canyon Road, Utah

I still have three more roads to drive in the GSENM until I'm done.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
32 REPLIES 32

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Lizzie wrote:
I do not write novels and I earn far more than .70 a copy but it isn't about the money.

Hi Lizzie: ....I was referring to "novel wannabes" strictly (the quoted post). The quote mentions "hit it rich" (striking it rich)...through writing novels. By Striking it rich, I mean being on the New York Times #1 best seller's "list" several times (Austen, Steinbeck, Kerouac, Severin, Rushdie, King, J.K. Rowling: I've worked with one of the above list as a consultant), and raking in 7-figures year after year. If I could draw a parallel between "striking it rich" writing novels, and striking it rich by "becoming a rock-and-roll star", I truly mean a 1 in millions chance.

However, I agree entirely with your concept of the peripheral cerebral rewards working as a writer in a genre that one loves, and earning "a living" therefrom. Kudos to you for being successful at a niche writing market!

*I also have to send a kudos to Admin for rescuing hundreds (or, thousands) of lost Posts from oblivion (oblivion being the recent server crash/restore allowing me the opportunity to respond to this Thread) ๐Ÿ˜‰

....now, back to "the Programme"

Cheers,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
While staying in the Lone Rock CG,west of Page on Lake Powell, April 25 and 26 waiting out a cold, wet front, a local told me that the Cottonwood Canyon road should never be driven if there is hint of rain. He said he has seen quads spinning their tires going nowhere after rains turned the road to axel grease.

After we go back to hike the Buckskin/Paria Canyons, which we had to postpone a few days in case of flash flooding, this is the way we are planning to head back up north.
It is always interesting, at least to me, in how many โ€œlike mindedโ€ people end up at the same place at the same time. While you guys were at the Lone Rock CG, I was just a few miles west of you, boondocking. I have/had been in this triangle area (Kanab to Cannonville to Lees Ferry) for the last 7 weeks, hiking, biking, M/C riding, Star/Eclipse Watching and photographing. What made it really special were a few nights I ended up with a few RV.netโ€™rs that stumbled across me. One of them was in the Kanab BLM parking lot. I recognized him right away as one of my dearest RV.net friends, one admired by many here. I recognized his rig, right away and then his smile and wave, as he saw me coming. It was good to spend a night, catching up under the stars. While I knew he was out and about, I had not expected or made arrangements to meet. It was nice that we met by accident.

A few weeks later I saw on the forum that another person was out in the area I was in, due to a comment he made to another post. I sent him an email and found out he had driven right by the area I was boondocking. We made arrangements, as I shared my GPS with Mr. & Mrs. Mellow Mike, they joined me for a night under the stars. While I donโ€™t share whom I meet with, but Mellow Mike shared he was fine with it.

A few days later I had another RV.netโ€™r see me at the Wire Pass Trailhead, joining me later at my basecamp a few miles further south, near the Winter Road. In February and March, during two visits to Death Valley, for a total of 7 weeks, I met with another group of RV.netโ€™rs. This group of 5 truck campers met, during a 7 day period, of exploring and hiking Death Valley. Prior to that I met another RV.netโ€™r south of Tucson to do some principal photography. There are so many other times I have met many of you, like at my favorite; Snake River Camp. I canโ€™t express what a joy it is to meet up with fellow RV.netโ€™rs as I learn more about them/you and they experience a bit of my Extreme Boondocking Lifestyle. Any of them are welcome to share that they met me.

When I know I am traveling into an area, like late this summer the Pacific Northwest, Mojave and Sonoran Deserts this coming winter. I try to get in touch with people, but the majority never respond back, but some do. What is relevant here is maybe there could be a way of just sharing where some of us are going to be, without being specific about locations and dates, so there might be a better bit of coordination. This would be good for a different thread. It would be nice to just meet up out in the middle of nowhere, for a day, just like I do with my kids, away from distractions that the home areas create.

Again, Mellow Mike, great Trip Report and great company there in the sand near the Paria River!

b

I think Mellow Mike put a GPS tracking device in all of us backcountry Boondocking types TC,s and is secretly directing us to these places.

Would like someday to bump into some of you old time backcountry travelers and trade stories around the fire.

Have a good trip.

Dave.
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
Mello Mike wrote:
Blackcell wrote:
Great report & pics! I've traveled this road back in '07 and really enjoyed it.
Later this year will be taking Burr Trail and Hole-in-the-Rock.

I'd be interested to hear from those who have drive the Hole-in-the-Rock road in the GSENM. That sounds like another good one, too.
I did, about 12 days ago. Not sure if I can be of any help, as I did it on the motorcycle. Worth the trip, just for the scenery alone.

b

Cool. Thanks, Bryan.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Writing doesn't pay unless you hit it rich with a big novel.

...ya. Unfortunately, the vast majority (about ~97%) of published "novels" sell only ~7000 copies (at ~70 cents a copy royalty, barely enough revenue for a month's vacation). So, your part-time RV repair gig may prove to be way more lucrative ๐Ÿ™‚

I have been writing guidebooks and other recreationally oriented material since 1979 and I strongly disagree. It depends entirely on what kind of "pay" you want. I cannot begin to tell you the many ways in my life has been enriched. I do not write novels and I earn far more than .70 a copy but it isn't about the money. It is about the experiences that you have, the people that you meet, and the doors that are opened to you. There are also endorsements, free and/or low cost gear, tax breaks on your recreational activities that can be costed against royalty earnings, I could go on and on. Finally, there is the satisfaction of knowing that you are sharing something that you love with other like-minded people and the opportunities to preserve and conserve those special places. Although I have not missed a royalty check in over 30 years, I write primarily for non-profits now and accept some contract work from governmental agencies (state parks, etc), and conservation organizations. You will not see my by-line on a lot of stuff that I do, but it pays for a lot of our travel. Please excuse me for high-jacking this post. lizzie

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
Blackcell wrote:

I'd be interested to hear from those who have drive the Hole-in-the-Rock road in the GSENM. That sounds like another good one, too.
I did, about 12 days ago. Not sure if I can be of any help, as I did it on the motorcycle. Worth the trip, just for the scenery alone.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Writing doesn't pay unless you hit it rich with a big novel.

...ya. Unfortunately, the vast majority (about ~97%) of published "novels" sell only ~7000 copies (at ~70 cents a copy royalty, barely enough revenue for a month's vacation). So, your part-time RV repair gig may prove to be way more lucrative ๐Ÿ™‚
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Blackcell wrote:

My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
whazoo wrote:
Who-ya to-ya Mr. Mike, nicely done. Very pro trip report, I liked it a lot. Bryan told me you were in the area, I was breezing through Kanab myself on the way to other pastures. Keep em coming Mike, keep em coming.

Thanks, Dave. Where did you end up going?
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
silversand wrote:
Mike:

EXCELLENT write-up, including fairly exhaustive descriptions, and a good chronology of photos. Well done!

*I noticed that the well-known guidebook writer, Elizabeth Carter, gave your report a glowing review, too. Had you ever considered doing this "gig" professionally?

Wow! Imagine anybody knowing that I write. Guess my cover is blown. It was definitely a professional quality piece of work and there is a great market for regional guides that target a specific recreational activity. Go for it Mike!

Lizzie, thank you for your kind words. That means a lot coming from a professional writer.
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Who-ya to-ya Mr. Mike, nicely done. Very pro trip report, I liked it a lot. Bryan told me you were in the area, I was breezing through Kanab myself on the way to other pastures. Keep em coming Mike, keep em coming.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I know I can sometimes be a little too verbose in my write-ups but with my memory not being what it used to be, I like to put lots of detail in them for future reference.

For those who haven't driven this road yet and have it on your bucket list, do it. You won't regret it. And while you're in the neighborhood do the Burr Trail and Hell's Backbone, too.

As for writing these type of reports for a living, probably not. But you never know. I rather work part time during my retirement years repairing RVs. That's probably more in my future than writing. Writing doesn't pay unless you hit it rich with a big novel.

I agree with Bryan. It's always nice meeting up with old friends and making new ones. It was a pleasure to spend an evening with Bryan and Rex by the Paria River and a nest of bees.

My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
crosscheck wrote:
While staying in the Lone Rock CG,west of Page on Lake Powell, April 25 and 26 waiting out a cold, wet front, a local told me that the Cottonwood Canyon road should never be driven if there is hint of rain. He said he has seen quads spinning their tires going nowhere after rains turned the road to axel grease.

After we go back to hike the Buckskin/Paria Canyons, which we had to postpone a few days in case of flash flooding, this is the way we are planning to head back up north.
It is always interesting, at least to me, in how many โ€œlike mindedโ€ people end up at the same place at the same time. While you guys were at the Lone Rock CG, I was just a few miles west of you, boondocking. I have/had been in this triangle area (Kanab to Cannonville to Lees Ferry) for the last 7 weeks, hiking, biking, M/C riding, Star/Eclipse Watching and photographing. What made it really special were a few nights I ended up with a few RV.netโ€™rs that stumbled across me. One of them was in the Kanab BLM parking lot. I recognized him right away as one of my dearest RV.net friends, one admired by many here. I recognized his rig, right away and then his smile and wave, as he saw me coming. It was good to spend a night, catching up under the stars. While I knew he was out and about, I had not expected or made arrangements to meet. It was nice that we met by accident.

A few weeks later I saw on the forum that another person was out in the area I was in, due to a comment he made to another post. I sent him an email and found out he had driven right by the area I was boondocking. We made arrangements, as I shared my GPS with Mr. & Mrs. Mellow Mike, they joined me for a night under the stars. While I donโ€™t share whom I meet with, but Mellow Mike shared he was fine with it.

A few days later I had another RV.netโ€™r see me at the Wire Pass Trailhead, joining me later at my basecamp a few miles further south, near the Winter Road. In February and March, during two visits to Death Valley, for a total of 7 weeks, I met with another group of RV.netโ€™rs. This group of 5 truck campers met, during a 7 day period, of exploring and hiking Death Valley. Prior to that I met another RV.netโ€™r south of Tucson to do some principal photography. There are so many other times I have met many of you, like at my favorite; Snake River Camp. I canโ€™t express what a joy it is to meet up with fellow RV.netโ€™rs as I learn more about them/you and they experience a bit of my Extreme Boondocking Lifestyle. Any of them are welcome to share that they met me.

When I know I am traveling into an area, like late this summer the Pacific Northwest, Mojave and Sonoran Deserts this coming winter. I try to get in touch with people, but the majority never respond back, but some do. What is relevant here is maybe there could be a way of just sharing where some of us are going to be, without being specific about locations and dates, so there might be a better bit of coordination. This would be good for a different thread. It would be nice to just meet up out in the middle of nowhere, for a day, just like I do with my kids, away from distractions that the home areas create.

Again, Mellow Mike, great Trip Report and great company there in the sand near the Paria River!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Mike:

EXCELLENT write-up, including fairly exhaustive descriptions, and a good chronology of photos. Well done!

*I noticed that the well-known guidebook writer, Elizabeth Carter, gave your report a glowing review, too. Had you ever considered doing this "gig" professionally?

Wow! Imagine anybody knowing that I write. Guess my cover is blown. It was definitely a professional quality piece of work and there is a great market for regional guides that target a specific recreational activity. Go for it Mike!