Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: Mojave Road II, 2014-03-13 to 16

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
A trip of many moving parts.
After a successful traverse of the historic Mojave Road, one year ago, the bros. decided to expand our motational conveyances to include:
Three, hard core, fat tire bicycles
Two, trekking BMW crossover motorcycles (650cc and 1100cc)
Two, 400 cc dirt bikes
Two SAG wagons, aka hard side truck campers belonging to Alex and jefe.
Our objective was not to repeat the trip we made a year ago, but allow everyone to create their own trip. This time we would attack 'the road' going west to east; the reverse of our former trip. We loosely agreed to meet in Barstow, CA for an early supper on Thursday the 13th. After many cell phone conversations most of us met for that supper. A couple of the bros were still arranging all their personal details. The bros with the two rental 400cc dirt bikes had to figure out how to get their off-road M.C.'s back to the trailer they came in Barstow once we got to the Colorado River some 146 miles to the east. Alex saved them by volunteering to haul their u-haul the length of the road. "Nothing off-roads like a rental trailer. Nothing." As we pulled off I-15 @ Afton Cyn. Road, everyone quickly removed their bikes from the racks and suited up to get a few miles down 'the road' in the fading sun. Matt bro and John bro setting their GPS':

Mark and Ken starting down Afton Cyn. Road:

Alex left the supper restaurant to backtrack to a staging area where he would pick up Bro Jim and Bro Rey, two m.c.'s and transfer the trailer to his TC. They eventually caught up with us. This pic shows one of the several water crossings where some of the M.C.'s had trouble staying upright.

The plot thickened when Mark went over in the very soft sand and broke his clutch lever.

Well, I guess this is where we'll camp. The trouble was just starting though. The 3 bicycles were always way ahead of the group and i was chef-du-camp and coming in last to pick up the pieces. Alex, Jim, and Rey had finally caught up with us in the cyn. when I ordered they company to get the fire barrel out, put in wood and start the campfire and set up your tents. Ken thought he would go look for them on his 1100cc
beemer but could not locate them, plus the road was getting more sandy and more rocky. On his way back I saw his lights go down and he hurt his ankle. I disconnected the trailer and went looking for the bicycle people with the TC. A flaw in our plans was starting to rear its ugly head; namely a woefully inadequate way to communicate with the troops when the best laid plans abruptly go south. They were miles ahead and it was starting to get dark. They had no lights.

I drove frantically around for about 90 minutes trying to find them in the desert which was all blow sand at this time, in the dark by now. They actually saw my clearance lights floating around the route i thought they might take but they could not reach me. It was eerie. finally on my way back to our abrupt camp they had turned around and worked their way back in the dark. with no lights.
We sat around camp into the evening dreaming about the next day's adventure. Next AM brought a decision by the Beemer folks to fold their tent. Mark's wife was bringing a part up to an off ramp on I-15 so Alex, ever the hero this trip hauled Mark's BMW on the U-haul trailer up the dirt road to the highway, vowing to catch up to us later that day.
Since I pulled up the rear I only had pix of my rig that I took myself. Here's a glamor shot:Kind of a TC selfie.

featuring a pintel upgrade for the trip:

So, now down to 3 fat tire bikes, 2 dirt bikes, and one XTC. There was a lot of blowsand: Front tires @ 30 pounds, rr's @ 28 pounds of air successfully floating on the sand:

Rey in the sand:

Looks pretty much the way it did 150 years ago:

crossing the immense Soda Dry Lake, and luckily it was dry. 10 miles across.

a lunch stop.

Down the road whence we came:

Bro Jim found a nice out-of-the-way camp spot with little space but a lot of loneliness:Alex finally found us:

Next day we were back at it with the bicycles leaving first and staying well ahead of everyone else. I would say they each burned 8K calories per day on the trail riding all day.

This is the view I had most of the rest of the trip:

Alex in the 'V' notch on drop-of-death hill climb: Nothing off-roads like a rental!

and going up the hill: Woowee that thing got to leanin'.

Bro Jim and Rey had a good time trying to get up that loose sandy rutted hill, with a little help from Alex all made it. Once you fall on a 350 pound M.C., on a steep hill, it take extraordinary strength to upright yourself without some help. Some found.

Trapped in an impenetrable forest!

Bro John and Bro Matt took the 'old' road to Fort Piute crossing a washed out trail and meeting us over the mountain for our last camp:

The wagons used to come this way, 150 yrs ago. Take a good look. this is not a place that any of you will ever see. It's just too remote.

Just behind the TC is our last in-dry-creek-bed camp.

Near the end of the road we say goodbye once more:

The three musketeers on bikes at the Colorado River across from Fort Mohave, AZ.

I threw this tome together while waiting for some of the better pix to arrive but didn't.
I may get back and do a clean up and addendum, but this is it for now.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar
24 REPLIES 24

jinxy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report jefe. You have a way with the words.

To give the profile of the trip, I'v added the Strava taken from bro5 gps.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
I'll be adding some videos to this thread as I get them done, I'm not going to do a separate trip report.

At Afton Canyon road at the I-15, Rey and Jim getting ready.
click on pic

Water crossing in Afton Canyon
click on pic

Matt, John and Shon heading out on their Fat Bikes
Click on pic

check back at this posting/ book mark it for future videos on this trip.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
Awesome, trip report, Jefe!! Looks like everyone had a blast! That's definitely one drive I want to do.

Hey Mike,
let me know when you go.
I want to make the trip,but not solo.
If you want to see how the rig does,lets take a short trip to Fort Piute.Be a great place to Stargaze.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
c.traveler2 wrote:
jefe 4x4 and the other Bros it was a pleasure to join you on this epic
adventure. It indeed had some twist and turns in as Murphy tried to de-rail us and we will all have check into better radios what we was wholey inadequate.

These guys work very well. Channels 15 thru 22 are GMRS only and have 5 watts!!!! You're supposed to get a license for these channels tho.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, trip report, Jefe!! Looks like everyone had a blast! That's definitely one drive I want to do.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
jefe4x4,

Looks like you guys put together a trip that included almost everything. I think the only thing missing is a motorized wheel chair.

You must have some pretty good latches on your TC cabinet doors or the inside of your rig would look like a shake and bake bag.

How are the kidneys after pounding over them boulders for 2 days?

As someone said,"With out adversity, adventure is impossible"

Keep doing what you do best.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
jefe 4x4 and the other Bros it was a pleasure to join you on this epic
adventure. It indeed had some twist and turns in as Murphy tried to de-rail us and we will all have check into better radios what we was wholey inadequate.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
BTG: There is enough weight on the lunette that it does not rattle. Sometimes when going up then down (we did a lot of that) I could feel the lunette move from front to back when it was pulling or pushing, but not bad. It was the perfect solution to the extreme angles we had on the hitch. A year ago with the same rig, I trashed the coupler on the trailer.
Wolfman: I completed only the suspension aspect of the upgrades: 8 leaves on rear, new front 4-links, new Gen4 track bar. Everything worked as well as I thought it would...kind of a nice change.
Whaz, you are the ultimate funny man on this forum. Jeanie and i laughed our tookusses off singing your little "Bro-hyde" tune. I'm still laughing as i write this.
I'm so lame with a computer that instead of posting more pix of the trip i'll just give links to others' pix. This way i won't waste the time of those who don't want to wade thru more pix. However, everyone else's pix and vids are superior to mine and might be worth a look.
Paste these in your browser: 1st, motorcylces crossing the Rubicon, so to speak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWX2VP4bh4
6bro's fine photos of the trip to fill in the gaps:
http://travelingman2.smugmug.com/Travel/Jeff-Photos/38178936_vtFMdj#!i=3153001034&k=fZCGTkR

http://travelingman2.smugmug.com/Travel/Mojave-Road-Bros-Rewind-Trip/38174383_Mj5HmD#!i=3152719375&k=tZHkNLQ

5bro's pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/imqy9rlxxfeotny/VFx1XbL6Tp/Mojaveroad2014
4bro's pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3oiqd585gm0xgk6/mythqv3svQ
3bro's fine addendum:
http://1drv.ms/1eejEjN

6bro may add some more pics down the road, but for me, this is finally the finale.
See you down the road......
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a HOOT of a Trip and submitted TR for; Proof of Adventure. Well done, my friend. While you state you lacked quantity of photos, due to you being the Man for All Seasons, they made up in quality and spoke volumes, as did your narrative.

I picked up my Adventure BMW the summer before my TC, so I needed some adventure and joined a High School friend and two of his buddies (October of 2008), to travel West/East on the Mojave Road. It is a popular bike route and I certainly agree it is a challenge, for me it was the deep and long sand "pits," but we didn't have any break downs, luckily. Riding in from the LA area and then back (I rode on to the Mojave Preserve), we didn't have as much of the logistics issue your group had.

We are planning on a backroads trip from the Mexican border, to Utah, across Arizona next spring. Sure could use an XTC for coaching and backup Bros!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice report JEFE. Glad to see you and the Bros out on the trail again. Like the fat tire bikes. Thanks for the post.

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Great one, what fun it looks like you had. I bet your missing bro was right there with you laughing while you were driving around looking for the others. With you, not at you of course.

Does a pintle hitch end up rattling around more and slamming fore and aft as compared to a regular coupler?

Thanks for sharing!
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Jefe, did you have all your truck mods complete for the trip and if so, how did they perform? Great trip report too.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great TR Jefe!!! Almost like I was with you!! :C
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
jefe - Great trip report, you guys really had your hands full in a couple spots! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed your adventure!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross