cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Zeno Canyon & Falls

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zeno Canyon is located in the Jack's Creek Wilderness high desert (5800') about 50 miles south of Bruneau Idaho.

Getting a late start i arrived at the Battle Creek turn off from Hiway 51 at 6 PM. This is a fairly good road with stretches of washboard.

A short time later arriving at the edge of the Wilderness.

About 7 PM I start looking for a place to camp. Getting hungry!! I find a nice level area not too far from the road to spend the night.

Mediocre sunset.

After about 15 miles I turn North onto this unnamed road. Should be another 15 miles to Zeno.

High clearance is a must but never needed 4X4. Deep ruts, rough and rocky. Took about an hour to do these 5 miles.

Oh Boy!! More free pinstriping!!

Yep.

A couple Pronghorn. I won't get into the technical debate if they are Antelope or not!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Arrived at the canyon late Friday AM.

Anxious to get into the canyon I dawned my boots, pack and a brand new collapsible walking stick from Walmart. Never used one before so I thought I would try one.

Looking back at camp from rim of canyon.

OK, got to get to the bottom.

OK, this looks like the way to go!!

Geez, overshot the falls on my first descent. They are in the center of this pic. Have to hike back up to the rim, around a cliff face and down again!!

Finally got down to the head of the falls. Man, this thing is noisy!! But I still can't see the entire thing so I got to keep going down.

Wait. What? I got to go down there? Can't quit not. Got to see!!

This was the most challenging part of the hike. Very steep and tons of loose shale. I fell several times, once because my new walking stick collapsed unintentionally. Anyway, I get to the bottom and TADA!!

Yep. The falls are all overgrown. I said a few bad words!!!

Now I have to climb back out. I am a little concerned about making it. I send DW a SPOT msg so they will know where to find the body!! 3 steps up, slide back 2!! And a lot of crawling!!

I finally made it back up on top, obviously, but now without falling one more time and severely bending my new walking stick!! I really liked the stick. Maybe I should go to REI for a decent one? Or being 3/4 through my 6th decade maybe I should just start acting my age!!

Back at camp, a sheet of mole skin, fillet mignon and a 5th of Jack, all was good with the world!!

Awoke to another beautiful day on Saturday. Not done exploring but I think I will do the rest sitting down.

According to my map this is called Harvey's Place. I think he needs to get over here for some maintenance.

Found another neat canyon a few miles West of Zeno. No, I didn't hike to the bottom of this one!!

Someone must have been bored. Half mile form the nearest road.

Overall it was a pretty fun trip. From the time I pulled off Hiway 51 on Thursday until my return on Sunday, never saw/heard another soul. That is my favorite way to camp.

FWIW here is what the falls used to look like.

Zeno Falls
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
22 REPLIES 22

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Or being 3/4 through my 6th decade maybe I should just start acting my age!!

DJ, that's a really bad idea. I'm 1/4 ahead of you, and not a chance of doing that. Just keep doing what you're doing! And thanks for it.
Cal

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
How fun! I love the "out in the middle of nowhere" kind of camping trips! Thanks for sharing with us! Great photos too... ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great TR, DJ. Certainly shows Idaho off and why I enjoy my times there too. Glad to see you and out and about. Great photos and narrative. You seem to have a thing for Shale, all sizes.

Be careful and safe.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
DJ, it's good to see you out having adventures again and good to know that you have a Spot now.

Suggestion for hiking sticks: use two. Mine are old ski poles which I bought at thrift stores for about $5 each and cut off with a hacksaw to the right length for me. They can really take a beating. If you choose this type, be sure that the grip is comfortable and smooth the cut end with a file.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....talk about an endless view! Very nice.

Nice looking rig.

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
right on. scratches...they are honor badges in my opinion. I did manage to get a couple new ones this past weekend too. great looking trip, thanks for sharing.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Hey DJ,

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a good time except on the shale. I hate trying to walk/crawl on that stuff. I would have liked to go with you but I hate dessert pin striping. Hard to get over, I know the first scratch and then you don't worry about any of the others.

How did the new bike work out? Are you happy with it?
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Now that is off the beaten path....looks like fun...nice