cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Zeno Canyon & Falls

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zeno Canyon is located in the Jack's Creek Wilderness high desert (5800') about 50 miles south of Bruneau Idaho.

Getting a late start i arrived at the Battle Creek turn off from Hiway 51 at 6 PM. This is a fairly good road with stretches of washboard.

A short time later arriving at the edge of the Wilderness.

About 7 PM I start looking for a place to camp. Getting hungry!! I find a nice level area not too far from the road to spend the night.

Mediocre sunset.

After about 15 miles I turn North onto this unnamed road. Should be another 15 miles to Zeno.

High clearance is a must but never needed 4X4. Deep ruts, rough and rocky. Took about an hour to do these 5 miles.

Oh Boy!! More free pinstriping!!

Yep.

A couple Pronghorn. I won't get into the technical debate if they are Antelope or not!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Arrived at the canyon late Friday AM.

Anxious to get into the canyon I dawned my boots, pack and a brand new collapsible walking stick from Walmart. Never used one before so I thought I would try one.

Looking back at camp from rim of canyon.

OK, got to get to the bottom.

OK, this looks like the way to go!!

Geez, overshot the falls on my first descent. They are in the center of this pic. Have to hike back up to the rim, around a cliff face and down again!!

Finally got down to the head of the falls. Man, this thing is noisy!! But I still can't see the entire thing so I got to keep going down.

Wait. What? I got to go down there? Can't quit not. Got to see!!

This was the most challenging part of the hike. Very steep and tons of loose shale. I fell several times, once because my new walking stick collapsed unintentionally. Anyway, I get to the bottom and TADA!!

Yep. The falls are all overgrown. I said a few bad words!!!

Now I have to climb back out. I am a little concerned about making it. I send DW a SPOT msg so they will know where to find the body!! 3 steps up, slide back 2!! And a lot of crawling!!

I finally made it back up on top, obviously, but now without falling one more time and severely bending my new walking stick!! I really liked the stick. Maybe I should go to REI for a decent one? Or being 3/4 through my 6th decade maybe I should just start acting my age!!

Back at camp, a sheet of mole skin, fillet mignon and a 5th of Jack, all was good with the world!!

Awoke to another beautiful day on Saturday. Not done exploring but I think I will do the rest sitting down.

According to my map this is called Harvey's Place. I think he needs to get over here for some maintenance.

Found another neat canyon a few miles West of Zeno. No, I didn't hike to the bottom of this one!!

Someone must have been bored. Half mile form the nearest road.

Overall it was a pretty fun trip. From the time I pulled off Hiway 51 on Thursday until my return on Sunday, never saw/heard another soul. That is my favorite way to camp.

FWIW here is what the falls used to look like.

Zeno Falls
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
22 REPLIES 22

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the kind words and comments. To answer some questions yes, it a TW 200. I've only got 150 miles on it, mostly off road. It is small and rough riding. The front end wants to wash out in the loose stuff. According to folks on the TW forums changing out the front tire to something called a Goldenboy helps this issue. I've only dumped it once but have had several times I nearly went down. No, it is not an Adventure bike. If all you want is a bike to haul into your camp spots and do a little exploring, it's fine.

The fridge is still a learning experience for me. In Death Valley I had it set for 39-40 degrees but the freezer kept freezing my whiskey!!! 80 proof freezes at 30 below!!! I had to run the genny each day as the 100 watt solar could not keep up.

Now I have turned the temp control warmer and the fridge is still maintaining 40 degrees and the freezer has warmed up some. And now the solar puts the battery back to green by the end of the day.

BUT, all is not great. One day got colder, about 45 and the fridge barely ran. I thought this is great until I opened the freezer. It had thawed!! Yet the fridge stayed 40ยฐ. I guess the sensor is in the fridge part and not the freezer. Still
playing with the control!!

Sorry, I don't even pretend to be any kind of geologist. No idea on the cliff colors.

It looks like real good snake country but I did not see any.

HI back to Sally!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
I'm thinking DJ has 'back-by-Jack' since he had no operation to fix it. 8<)
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip,I think that's a TW200 ,if so how do you like it,im thinking about getting one,thanks

I had a TW200 worst motorcycle I ever owned, terrible suspension, felt like a kids toy. Lots of TW200 out there with very low miles, there is a reason. You would be better off with a Yamaha WR250r, Suzuki Dr200, or Honda 250
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report DJ - sounds like your back is a bit better if you are getting out and about. Glad to see you made it out of the canyon. Having these modern satellite emergency locator beacon things is great.

Sally says Hi.

Cheers,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Wonderful TCTR, enjoyed reading about your adventure.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting fun trip. Like the area.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
You still got it, DJ, I don't care what they say!
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Saved to my reading list. We will be in the Bruneau area this fall so will check it out. Thanks for the heads up. We too like the solitude and the scenery ain't bad either. How about rattlers? They have to around all that brush and rock. Walking stick is probably needed to move them out of your way.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello DJ, What a cool solo trip. I'd say that after so much scrambling up and down you'd be a shale of your former self. And hey I dig your bike with the fat tire, bet it's great for trail rides. Catch you later DJ, ride safe.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great trip report especially for an older geezer like you. Wish I could get way away from everyone in such beautiful country.

Would like some more info on the odd color of the cliffs in this picture. If it washed white from water flows or what?

Ooops, gotta go, AARP is calling.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Hey DJ how did the the new compressor fridge work out for you? how was the power consumption etc? can't recall if you have solar or just using the alternator/gen set. excellent trip report,love that part of the country.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a fun trip DJ. Glad to see that you're taking care of my bike for me! Your dog is doing fine : )
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip,I think that's a TW200 ,if so how do you like it,im thinking about getting one,thanks

flaxi
Explorer
Explorer
wow, great trip ! ๐Ÿ™‚