cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple Slide Host on SRW

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Saw this truck/camper camping this week and was wondering how heavy the camper was.
Don't recognize the model but it had 3 slides.
Truck was SRW with Vision wheels and looked like he had a Geo Tracker toad too.
Alarms were going off in my head.

32 REPLIES 32

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good discussion, but time to go.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sidecarflip, you arent really stopping if your tires are sliding. Maybe spend some money on better tires. 🙂

I'm sure a few of us would just take a SUV and tent if you're rig was our only choice. Any way, that's why there are different options.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
SidecarFlip wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Especially fun are the comments about braking performance from someone who drives a more than 20 year old vehicle.

My 20 year old vehicle has the rear disc brake conversion with Girling twin piston calipers, vented and slotted rotors, same on the front with EBC HH High friction pads all around. I run EBC because I sell them and they are excellent pads.

No lack of stopping power at all. In fact I can slide all 4 tires on dry pavement with the camper in the box cannot do any better than that.

Next....:R

You sell EBC brakes??
What kinda deal can I get on a set of red stuffs for a 2016 SRT8? You can PM me.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Especially fun are the comments about braking performance from someone who drives a more than 20 year old vehicle.

My 20 year old vehicle has the rear disc brake conversion with Girling twin piston calipers, vented and slotted rotors, same on the front with EBC HH High friction pads all around. I run EBC because I sell them and they are excellent pads.

No lack of stopping power at all. In fact I can slide all 4 tires on dry pavement with the camper in the box cannot do any better than that.

It sounds like you’ve got your truck modified to work much better than stock. So is the takeaway from this that one shouldn’t make assumptions about a vehicle’s capabilities without knowing the details?

lol
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
wnjj wrote:

It sounds like you’ve got your truck modified to work much better than stock. So is the takeaway from this that one shouldn’t make assumptions about a vehicle’s capabilities without knowing the details?

I thought max braking on pavement is without the tires sliding.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:

Especially not fun are your snarky comments. I never implied about my ability to stop, only the ability to stop concerning the pictured camper when on my butt...

I plan on driving my 20 year old truck another 20 years or until I pass, at which time I'm sure my wife will sell it for a good buck as OBS Crew Cab 4x4 Ford's with 7.3's are in high demand all the time (in case you haven't noticed..lol)
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:

2015 Backpack SS1500

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
This must be a Weight Police special alert!!

A few of the WP must have their computers on fast draw holsters to shoot down anyone who they know are going to plow into a bus load of orphans. Legal! Sue him! Sterilize them all!

The TC forum is just so special that way, predicting world wide doom due to someone who they THINK is dangerously overloaded. Even if the TC owner has all the correct equipment, has done the proper research and drives their truck with the heavy weight in mind.

But the Weight Police ALWAY know better.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both are way too much camper for me and my wife and dog. I'd be much happier staying at the Super 8 and driving the car. Besides, they leave the light on for ya....

Or is that Motel 6

Anyway, not in my cards, ever.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Bedlam
My empty short bed extended cab was 2750 lbs on the rear with 19.5's. Each mounted and balanced wheel was 125 lbs when I had 245/70R19.5 tires with Vision Heavy Hauler rims. This extra weight was not suspended, so really doesn't factor into suspension, frame or axle capacity.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
That is a 4500 lb Host Everest (dry weight) on a long bed crew cab Ford. The rear axle has a 9750 lb OEM rating and with Vision rims gives him 9000 lbs of it available with PR16 LRH tires. Expect the truck to weigh 3000 lbs on the rear axle when unloaded, so he has about 1500 lbs for water and gear. Flat towing behind it adds almost no tongue weight.

Thanks for the reply I like your analysis. I could be wrong but I would have expected the rear empty weight to be higher than you stated with the 19.5's. But I do think he is still probably running a few hundred pounds less than the 9000 vision rating fully loaded. Not a margin that I would feel comfortable running however.

Bedlam
That is a 4500 lb Host Everest (dry weight) on a long bed crew cab Ford. The rear axle has a 9750 lb OEM rating and with Vision rims gives him 9000 lbs of it available with PR16 LRH tires. Expect the truck to weigh 3000 lbs on the rear axle when unloaded, so he has about 1500 lbs for water and gear. Flat towing behind it adds almost no tongue weight.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice that the truck is squatting a bit in the back. Bet the fridge isn't level....lol

IF you look closer you will see lego lynx blocks under Front wheels to level truck/camper

You have better eyes than I do. Don't see anything.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox