Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper Extra Battery Install

Lovealicia
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently got myself a used 70-something 9 foot truck camper and purchased a deep cycle battery for when I am camping with no hookups. Thing is, after looking under the sink I can't seem to be able to figure out how to hook up the battery to it.

There is a power converter under there that was installed after the fact. Wires run into it and then my power connect and I think the truck bed plug run out of it. It is also plugged in to an outlet that is underneath there. But, there doesn't seem to be any wires that would be connected to the battery.

Is there some kind of converter or adapter I need to purchase? Do I need professional help to get this backup battery installed? If so, would I go to someplace like Camping World or Torklift or a RV dealership?

Or, should I just scrap the idea altogether and buy a small generator?

Upon doing research I determined running anything off my truck battery was just a bad idea, that it would kill my truck battery quickly and then I would be stranded or whatever. Is this accurate?
15 REPLIES 15

Lovealicia
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, so I finally figured this out with the help of the folks at Torklift. I now have a battery bank in the truck bed. My camper wasn't wired properly so we had to do it a round about kind of way but I have power!

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Lovealicia - thanks for the update. Glad we could help get you on the road. keep reading the forums b/c the other members are a wealth of info and darn nice people 🙂

If you stay in warmer climates for the winter (think Quartzite), you will most likely find people who can help you out with a simple charging cord. The supplies are relatively cheap and it can be whipped up pretty quickly if you don't care how it looks and just want function.

Definitely look into seeing if the battery will ride in the truck in one of the corners next to the TC. Ours rode there for just fine with our first starter TC... but the under truck mount is also a slick way to go.

Bonus for those small battery packs - I find that no one cares if I charge it in McDonald's or a coffee shop. Anywhere they allow laptop chargers is a place to recharge it. And they do recharge quickly. A nice library would be ideal. Mine is about the size of 3 smart phones stacked together.

Lovealicia
Explorer
Explorer
Since I am low on funds at the moment, I will be going with Stars101 for now and will look into hiring someone to hook up a battery for me at a later date. I found a battery pack on Amazon that will charge my laptop three times over and has a standard AC outlet as well as USB ports for cheap. I do have the Mr Buddy indoor propane heater as my camper has the blower fan. I will be fine, I plan on travelling to warmer climates this winter anyway. I will call around and see about getting the battery hooked up and mounted on under the truck and do it when I have the money.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's all well and good Stars101, but if this camper already has its own electrical and water systems, it seems a shame to not use them.

The problem with a camper that old is it really takes someone with a bit of know-how and mechanical ability to get things working, and/or make sure they're working correctly.

If you don't know what you need to know, you have two choices: Pay someone to do it for you, or learn to do it yourself.

Regardless, it is not something that's really suited for a forum like this. Sure you can do it here but you'll have so many questions, and we can't see what you're seeing (or not seeing as the case may be), that someone local to mentor you would make things so much less frustrating for all involved.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
My small battery pack has USB ports.

I'm not sure what the large ones have. I was thinking more that you'd use it for 12v power, i.e. 12v laptop charger.

If you want to run a furnace it depends on how your furnace works. The older ones (the ones I love) don't rely on battery power b/c they don't have any blower fans. But I think those were earlier models than what's found in 1970's campers. I know my 1968 Holiday Rambler TT had one. Nice b/c you could dry camp in cold weather without a battery. I just used the propane light and furnace. No water pump, just a hand operated cold water bellows-type thing.

If you just want to use it as a hardsided "tent" get a Mr. Buddy portable propane heater. They need to be run with proper ventilation, crack a window. And I turn mine off overnight and have proper smoke/carbon monoxide alarm. But it keeps it really nice during the day and the disposable tanks are easy for me to handle.

Cooking on the propane stove also provides some heat while you are using it. Ditto boing water for tea. The battery packs that have a 12v. port can also run the 12v. heated mattress pads for a few hours to take the chill off.

Since it sounds like you aren't up to doing any difficult mods, just stick to what makes it work for you. It will definitely be more "camping" than easy "jump in and have the comforts of home" but I enjoy that type of camping.

Personally I'd do the following:

LED battery operated lantern and interior lights
Mr. Buddy heater for daytime use
Simple hand operated water pump or just use water jugs
(or get 2 or 5 gallon water bottles at Walmart. They have hand pumps and battery pumps than screw on)
Heat water on stovetop if you need to
Cooler for food storage

Heck even battery operated fans run for days if you just use them overnight. Even if you just have the TC as a "shell" it's still nicer than hauling wet tents, sleeping bags and clothing. And it has all the cabinets for storage.

Camping, even in a TC, doesn't have to be complicated. It's all in what you feel like doing and what makes you happy.

Enjoy.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift makes a battery mount that clamps to your truck frame under the truck bed. It makes it hard to service, but it is out of the way and isn't inside the camper.
I have made a few of them since the 1970s that are similar to the one Torklift makes and they work great for an inconspicuous place to put a battery.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lovealicia,

Welcome to the TC forum.

Yes, pictures will get you very specific advice. Also tell us about the cord that connects your TC to the truck (i.e. how many pins?)

Does your TC have a cord to plug into a 110 volt outlet? If so, the converter will make 12 volt to run lights and furnace when plugged in. If you are not comfortable using a volt meter, then you should seek assistance. Camping world and RV dealers will have an expensive shop rate. RV parts stores or a neighborhood handyman might be able to determine what you have, so you can then proceed to the next step.

If you look at the "3 in 1" emergency battery packs sold in auto parts stores (and the freight store down by the harbor ;)) they will have a small inverter that will make 110 volts from 12 volts. This may be enough to charge a laptop and run LED lights but will not power your furnace.

Tell us more.

Hope this helps,
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Lovealicia
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to camping.

Stars101, does your battery pack have a standard AC outlet to plug my laptop into? If so, that is an excellent idea. I hadn't even thought of that, but I have battery operated lights and a propane heater so that might be enough to run my laptop (I work online so that was the important part.)

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
An even better option, depending on your power needs, would be a portable "battery pack" like they use to jump start cars.

It's small, has a carry handle and can be plugged in at home and charged. It's the size of a small briefcase.

I even have a very compact one that fits in my purse. It's amazing for recharging/running all my small electronics: cell phone, laptop, Ipod, tablets.

These hold charges for months at a time. So I keep it charged and in the house in case the power goes out.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you are new to camping or not, but a few things to consider-

1) Most campgrounds have generator rules. And limit the hours they can be run and also how loud they can be. A quiet generator will run you about $900-$1,000 for Honda. You really can't just get a cheap $150 generator and use it- unless you are the only one on the land.

2) You would probably be able to find a mechanic who can run a plug in harness and show you how to hook up the battery. In my 1980's Sunline TC the battery was loose and you put it between the TC and the truck bed, usually front right corner. A battery would be your cheaper option.

Edit: Someone mentioned "a 40 year old camper needs a complete restoration"... not necessarily at all. My own experience has shown that many older campers were very well built and lasted much, much better than newer construction. My Sunline TC was awesome!

Lovealicia
Explorer
Explorer
It is seeming to me that it is going to be easier and cheaper to just get a generator. I have a very limited budget and absolutely no electrical knowledge.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes its better and safer to take out everything and rebuild with new.
Get a meter a VOM.and figureout how much power you need.
Do you even have a 7 pin connector?
you have no idea what the previous owners did,
a 40 year old camper should have a complete restoration.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
One of the truck bed plug wires is 12V+ and one is Ground. You would tap into these wires to connect your battery. That camper probably did not come with a battery standard.

You could just use clip-on wire taps, or cut the wires and bodge them together with wire nuts, crimp connectors and/or tape.

The neat/organized/logical/proper/correct way to do this is to disassemble the truck plug, pull the 12V and ground wires back, and fix them to separate terminal bars inside the camper. I would use a fuse panel for the + side. The fuse panels can be purchased at an auto parts store. Run new wires from the terminal bars to the truck plug, and then connect the battery to the terminal bars.

Be aware that 12V deep cycle batteries give off explosive hydrogen gas when charged. Do not just stuff the battery in a cabinet inside the camper.

Battery compartments are sealed off from the inside of the camper, and vented to the outside to prevent that hydrogen gas from building up in the camper and going BOOM from an unexpected spark.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lovealicia
Explorer
Explorer
How do you plug it in to the camper? I will see about pictured this afternoon.