cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper magazine and Host?

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
New to the truck camper world and still in the research stage for going from fifth wheel to a new truck and truck camper and have found truck camper magazine to be a great resource but wonder why there is no mention of host campers such as the mammoth anywhere on the site ? is there something going on between the magazine and Host ? It seems they review or write about every other manufacturer but Host ?
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
28 REPLIES 28

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the initial questions have been answered, and see no value in further discussion.

Should a representative from Host wish to comment, I or Admin can be contacted with PMs.

I will Close this Thread.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, like was posted, it is paid for by sponsors/advertisers. It just took a lot of words to get there with a lot of innuendo.

If their site said, "we created truck camper magazine to support our desire to learn more" and then noted "Truck Camper Brands" as "Advertisers" they would have more credibility with those of us who know what they are doing. They should also note that "they are not experts" because they certainly aren't. Their "Truck Camper Chooser" is obviously devoid of anyone but their advertisers.

They overinflate their worth and value. For me, that's just annoying, so I don't visit their site. For new people to our pursuit, it's misleading.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
So there...it posted going through Woodalls. Good work around. Thanks.
Again I'll apologize, I was wrong. I mixed the relationship issue up with what someone else posted and somehow attributed that to TCM.
I consider my thoughts on this complete.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try this on Woodalls..
I need to apologize to Gordon White. I somehow got it in my old brain that he brought up the relationship issue. I was wrong...it was mentioned in a post and I somehow connected that to TCM. My mistake and a bad one. I mean no harm to TCM and I have no axe to grind. I posted without being sure what I was writing.
Let me see if I can cut & paste his email to me:

Brent -

Thank you for your questions.  I read the RV.net thread you reference.

The companies you mention fit one of the four reasons described in FAQ #7. 
It’s not just about product quality as the RV.net thread suggests.  I strongly believe it's important to consider a manufacturer’s overall business practices, warranty honoring, and customer service.  Keep in mind we have been to every factory, dealership, and met all the industry players multiple times over the past ten years. 

Put another way, If you knew what we know, you would likely agree with our decision not to represent every manufacturer and dealership.  I could give you the facts and history, but that would do terrible damage to the domestic manufacturers in question.  That’s not my objective.

It’s also suggested - by the RV.net moderators no less - that our reviews lack credibility.  Having read countless RV reviews from just about every professional RV magazine and website, I believe our truck camper reviews are the most comprehensive and critical RV reviews available.  You certainly won’t find a RV review with the quality and quantity of photography, deep industry background, and real world consumer perspective we offer.

And yes, we are more critical in our reviews than any professional RV media source; more pros and cons, more photos showing qualities and faults, and more critical descriptions.  If that’s not credibility, then what is?

For more information, here are the FAQ items related to your specific questions:

7. Why doesn’t every truck camper manufacturer, gear company, and dealership participate with Truck Camper Magazine?

There are four primary reasons why some truck camper manufacturers, gear companies, and dealerships do not participate in Truck Camper Magazine.

First, some manufacturers and dealerships choose not to promote themselves.  Short of their own website, free social media, and RV show participation, you won’t see these companies promoting themselves anywhere, including Truck Camper Magazine.

Second, not every manufacturer, gear company, and dealership is interested in growth.  These companies are often small operations working with very limited production and/or service capacity.  Their leadership is content with the size and volume they are operating at, and have no plans for expansion.

Other companies have experienced changes in ownership or leadership, and are not currently producing and/or selling truck campers.  Either way, these companies ask us not to promote their brand, products, or inventory as they couldn’t handle the added volume in customer inquiries and business we provide.

Third, if a company has a proven record of poor quality control, poor customer service, and/or poor warranty support, we will not represent them.  This does not mean that all of our participating manufacturers, gear companies, and dealerships all have perfect records in these categories but, on the whole, the companies Truck Camper Magazine works with take care of their customers.

Finally, we did not start Truck Camper Magazine to work with people who openly disrespect our efforts.  Truck Camper Magazine is not a public utility for the industry to use and abuse.  If the leadership at a given truck camper company can’t be respectful and professional with us, we will not work with them.

8. How does Truck Camper Magazine remain objective, unbiased, and critical in its reporting and reviews?

Before launching Truck Camper Magazine in 2007, it took several months to design a business model that could potentially work for the small but vibrant truck camper industry and community.

Having published a printed music magazine for seven years prior to starting TCM, our initial preference was for print.  When we field tested this idea, we quickly discovered that the truck camper industry and community was too small to support the required costs of printing and distributing a print publication.

With print off the table, our focus turned to the web.  As an online-only magazine, the project would have to be free to the readers.  At that time, and even now, almost all web-based media is free, and is demanded to be free by the public at large.

As a free online-only magazine, the only viable business model left was a sponsor-funded magazine.  We believed then, as we do now, that being sponsor-funded does not mean sponsor-controlled.  If we are truly balanced in our approach, we can be both sponsor-funded, and objective, unbiased, and critical in our reporting and reviews.

The best evidence of our journalistic integrity is our work.  Specifically, our independent truck camper reviews, independent buyers guide wet weights, steadfast positions on proper truck and camper matching, truck camper safety, accurate wet weights, and proper center of gravity marks.

These repeated positions are not always popular with the truck camper industry, and even raise the occasional objection from the readership.  That stated, it is the unwavering position of Truck Camper Magazine that safety must come first to ensure the short and long term health of the truck camper industry and the community it serves.

We do not pretend to be perfect in our balance towards objectivity, but we always speak with an independent voice.  Most importantly, we are truck campers ourselves, and inflexibly loyal to our fellow truck camping readers.

9. Do manufacturers see their reviews in advance?

Absolutely not.  Truck Camper Magazine reviews are wholly independent and posted without notice or review by the industry until after publication.  However, the manufacturers are invited to submit a manufacturer’s response to be immediately published, without edit, the following publishing date.

You are welcome to share this on RV.net.

Merry Christmas Brent!  Thanks again for the email.

Sincerely,

Gordon White, Publisher
Truck Camper Magazine
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
Mr. Gordon requested I post his email to me. I've been trying to post an apology and cut and pasted his email but keep getting "Hmmmm...we can't reach this page". Is it me or this site? Any help is appreciated.
I really want to set the record straight and acknowledge my mistake.

***Moderator help?

Try posting via http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27.cfm instead.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like host doesn't want to pay for advertising so TCM doesn't want to write reviews on their campers.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr. Gordon requested I post his email to me. I've been trying to post an apology and cut and pasted his email but keep getting "Hmmmm...we can't reach this page". Is it me or this site? Any help is appreciated.
I really want to set the record straight and acknowledge my mistake.

***Moderator help?
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
Many of us here consider Gordon and Angela personal friends, the publishers of Truck Camping Magazine. That is because they are the rare exception in the journalistic field, in that they actually live, work and recreate in the product that they write about. As well as only publish on Truck Campers.

This topic of TCM being supported by the industry and only write about what they are supported by, in advertising revenue, is baseless. To be honest when you don't see something written about a topic, in TCM, it is often because they don't support the product and or manufacturer. While it would be informative to have the negative too, sometimes that takes away the opportunity to provide praise in the products and manufacturers that truly deserve TCM's reviews and support.

Read whatever you wish, into the topic on Host and their products.

Here is a link in regards to this question, posted on the TCM Web Site;

Truck Camper Magazine FAQ Clicky

b

Well put! I've always found Gordon and Angela's reviews to be fun to read and straight forward and their interviews with fellow TC'rs show a level of insight that I've not seen in publications like Trailer Life. TCM has always been an online magazine run by two young people based, I think, in central Pennsylvania. They've immersed themselves in the TC lifestyle but obviously have limitations when it comes to travel. It seems they have been invited by some manufacturers to "test" campers onsite and they've done that. For a non-paid website that's supported by advertising, I think they've done well and they've been a valuable asset in my TC search.

Another site you may consider for reviews is the one Mello Mike runs. It has lots of information and reviews too. Like Gordon and Angela, Mike speaks from the perspective of a long time TC traveler and his information is, therefore, pertinent and insightful.

My $0.02 and whole just about that,

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
He said if "I knew what he knew" I would understand.

Isn't that what everyone says that doesn't have the truth on their side, too?

Actions speak louder than words. TCM is just proving that it's all about them which is fine but doesn't exactly give them any high ground. I wish I could say I was disappointed.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
bka0721 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
TCM doesn't pretend to have a comprehensive list, but I'm sure a lot of new to the TC world don't realize that based on new folks posting here.

This might be true but in TCM's buyer guide on the website it lists brands. Maybe a disclaimer should be added that the brands listed do not represent all the manufacturers of truck campers just those associated with the magazine. I can't believe Outfitter, Host or Bigfoot has quality issues, disrespects TCM, nor does not want to grow as a business that would preclude TCM from listing them based on their FAQ's reject criteria.

^^This. With the exception of Outfitter, there are brands of campers sitting on dealer lots all over the country. Easy enough for TCM to find one near them.
I don't need their validation for what I own, but I sure wonder why they don't review certain brands.

Have you sent TCM an email and ask them that question? As they have written in their FAQ (link provided earlier in this thread) just ask. RV.net prohibits responses from commercial (except Good Sam) companies in this forum. Otherwise it is pretty clear, to me, in their FAQ web site page.

b

Yes I did email him. He said he has read this thread. Basically he repeated what they have on their site. That if someone disrespects them, or provides poor service, or doesn't want any more business, he doesn't want to have a "relationship" with them. He said if "I knew what he knew" I would understand. I told him that I didn't think that was how I would do it. It still sounds fuzzy to me. So what if they don't want a "relationship" with a manufacturer. I don't understand why they can't visit a dealer lot, look around the camper, and give a review. I don't think they have to meet, spend time, and have dinner with the manufacturer. They don't get a loaner from the factory, load them up and use them for 2 weeks for every review.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkasner wrote:
I have found over the years, their site to be subjective to who helps them out (financially to run the website) and on upgrades, accessories...etc.

I agree and that is typical of just about all magazines. Buyer beware. I would rather read forums with info from real owners, but even then, you have to be careful.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
TCM doesn't pretend to have a comprehensive list, but I'm sure a lot of new to the TC world don't realize that based on new folks posting here.

This might be true but in TCM's buyer guide on the website it lists brands. Maybe a disclaimer should be added that the brands listed do not represent all the manufacturers of truck campers just those associated with the magazine. I can't believe Outfitter, Host or Bigfoot has quality issues, disrespects TCM, nor does not want to grow as a business that would preclude TCM from listing them based on their FAQ's reject criteria.

^^This. With the exception of Outfitter, there are brands of campers sitting on dealer lots all over the country. Easy enough for TCM to find one near them.
I don't need their validation for what I own, but I sure wonder why they don't review certain brands.

Have you sent TCM an email and ask them that question? As they have written in their FAQ (link provided earlier in this thread) just ask. RV.net prohibits responses from commercial (except Good Sam) companies in this forum. Otherwise it is pretty clear, to me, in their FAQ web site page.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:

2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies ,very helpful. I was in no way questioning the truck camper magazine website or the great people that run it. It has been a great resource for someone like me researching truck campers and trucks, I just found it odd that a few brands were left out of the reviews and stories , the site has also been very helpful for me since I am on the east coast and have three dealers within a reasonable drive that we have been to looking at brands and models,but a factory visit is not going to happen anytime soon. We have been to the dealers, used YouTube and just searched the web, and have posted a lot of questions here receiving great help from you guys
Thanks again for the help .
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's