cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acessories for a TT

Phanes
Explorer
Explorer
So it was suggested I start a new thread on this.

I am going to buy

1. A surge protector for the RV any suggestions on what I should buy?

2. A cover to protect it while it is in storage for the winter any suggestions?

Do you guys have any suggestions on any must have accessories?

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a couple of RhinoFLEX hoses that I use and they're great. They're nice a rigid so it holds whatever shape you bend it to. It's made out of a much more durable material than your standard hose. We've ours used in 110F+ down to -22F and it's held up well. It has nice substantial swivel fittings that locks onto the hose.

There's the RhinoFlex Extreme version that even more durable than the regular one. It has a vinyl coating to further protect it. Really the regular version is plenty durable. If you have a habit of running over your hoses or dragging them down the freeway then the Extreme version would be a better fit.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DunellenGuy wrote:
So, can I open the next can of worms? What's the "best" sewer hose, and why?

The "best" sewer hose is NO sewer hose at all ... I use a macerator instead. :B

How's that for opening a can of worms?! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MilesandSmiles
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
As far as basics, I think a good garden hose, a good sewer hose, enough electric cord to hook up to electric

So, can I open the next can of worms? What's the "best" sewer hose, and why?
Newly retired
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A
www.milesandsmiles.us

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Phanes wrote:
A surge protector for the RV any suggestions on what I should buy?

You don't want just a surge protector but an EMS (Electrical Management System) that includes surge protection. You can't go wrong with a Progressive Industries EMS such as a portable EMS-PT30C or hard wire EMS-HW30C. Progressive has announced improved versions to be released in Jan so you might want to wait a bit before making your purchase.

DITTO on the Progressive EMS! Check out the hundreds of comments from owners on Amazon! That's how I knew my $60 surge protector was not going to protect me from the most common problem...UNDERVOLTAGE! It has a lifetime warranty and last summer in the 2nd campground I used it in , It cut the power to my TT at least 1 time a day because of serious under voltage of less than 104 volts. It turns it back on automatically when it comes up to safety standards. In the next campground, the problem was constant OVERVOLTAGE of more that 134 VOLTS and it shut me down!( Both of these were NY state parks and they were well aware of the issue)) Both of these conditions would have done long term damage to my AC and electronics worth thousands of $!. progressive is the best on the market, US made and a MUST investment for about $260!

Regarding covers, I feel strongly in keeping the TT covered when in storage over 1 month to keep the exterior finish and decals looking new and I have been happy with ADCO covers. Get the all climate one with Tyvek roof.. Has a 3 year warranty. My first one was a moderate climate one and it tore within the 2 year warranty and they gave me full credit toward the upgraded all climate one.
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best accessory I bought that I don't actually need is a battery tender. I park in storage, so in bring my battery home after every trip and put into on the tender. Fully charged battery every trip. If you store it at home, it's even easier since you don't need to pull the battery. If you can't store at home, and the battery(ies) are too heavy to lift for you, then yes, a kill switch is good.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing that I had the dealer put in that has been great is the battery kill switch. Sometimes we go a month between trips and it is so easy to just flip the switch.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
The reason it will not let power thru is it is seeing no ground and that is a nice feature when plugged into the pedestal because you want to know if there is a open ground. All ginnys usually do not have a ground. Simple flip the little switch to bypass the management & let power thru when using a ginny.

holy cow. that blue font is annoying.

Yes, it's the lack of ground on a generator. If I had a portable EMS, I'd skip using it while on gen power.
It often kicks off power when the A/C kicks on while running on gen power.
Bob

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I worked for a rv dealership and I had to control myself every day in the store. You can get carried away believe me. same thing happened when I worked at Sears. But any way, you can go to amazon.com and they have hundreds of pages of rv accessories.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The best ever "accessory" we added to our trailer is indoor storage.
Tried the canvas cover route....PIA.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have "accessories" in my camper. Everything in my camper is a necessity. After trading our last camper (3 years years ago) and cleaning it out, we decided we'd get rid of the "accessories" and keep the "necessities". Things have been less "pack-rat-ish" ever since.

What's important for one person may be totally useless for someone else. I don't ever hook up to city water. I always fill my fresh water tank and then turn the spigot off at the campground. So for someone to say the latest technological advanced pressure regulator is an accessory "I" need... well... sorry... I do not need a pressure regulator ... at all, since I never hook up directly to city water.

So, really, what one person calls an "accessory", someone else may call it "necessity", some else may call it ... simply, not needed. It really all depends upon the type of camping you do what you really need, want and think you need that determines what you need.

As far as basics, I think a good garden hose, a good sewer hose, enough electric cord to hook up to electric (here again ... this is subjective? How far will you actually be from the plug? But you need to think in terms of the extreme case, so you have it if happen to camp at that extreme end.). The other items you need, actually every one does, is something to level the camper with. Be that boards, Lynx blocks, but something under the tires to level side-to-side. After this, absolutely every thing else is personal choice based on your comfort level.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The stick on tap lights are great for having useable light in the camper without using your batteries.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The reason it will not let power thru is it is seeing no ground and that is a nice feature when plugged into the pedestal because you want to know if there is a open ground. All ginnys usually do not have a ground. Simple flip the little switch to bypass the management & let power thru when using a ginny.
trail-explorer wrote:
If I do a Progressive EMS system again, I will go portable.

The thing I don't like about the hard wired version is it won't allow power in from my Honda EU2000i until I flip a little switch on the remote of the EMS.

Ditto on the power drill. There's a huge thread on that right now.

Water pressure regulator for when you use city water inlet at a campground.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rhino sewer hose.

A mat of some type to go at the bottom of the steps, and a rug for just inside the door.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries makes the absolute best EMS and they even come with a life time warranty.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"