Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper meet-up at Overland Expo, Flagstaff, May

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

This has been hinted at a few times already, but here is the official invitation.

Overland Expo 2013 is being held at Mormon Lake, near Flagstaff, AZ from May 17 to 19.

I want to organise a truck-camper meet-up at the show. Last year we attended the European equivalent of this show in Germany and as well as being a fascinating show in its own right, it was great to see and spend time with the thousands of travellers with varied campers and overland vehicles that turned up and camped. So this year I think it would be great to have a truck camper meet-up in AZ.

Unfortunately we cannot bring our little truck camper along, since it is 5000 miles and an ocean away, but Sally and I will be coming in a rental B class camper we are picking up in Denver.

I've been talking to the show organisers and they have a basic camping field (no hook-up, but being TC owners I think we can cope with that :)) for $10 per night. They said they would love to have us come with our TCs and will set aside an area especially for us :B

I've been talking to a few of you already and so I know we've got a few takers, but I'd like to know who else would like to come. I'm not saying you need to commit 100% now, but I'd like to get an idea of the numbers involved so the show organisers know what size of area to set aside for us.

Hope to see you all in May to circle the wagons and get out the barbecues,

Steve & Sally.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
110 REPLIES 110

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Sally and I had a great time at the show - thanks everyone for coming. I'll put together a trip report of my own when I get a chance.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Please add me to the list for next year, as well as sending me a link to the blog, if possible.

While I live in Mexico, I happened to be in AZ during that weekend. But I was headed to CA for a wedding and could not make it.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
Brian,
I was unable to attend the event but I subscribed to the blog and kept up on all of the TC activity. Please add me to your mailing list. Sounds like all of you had a great time. I am on my way out east at the end of next week to pick up my new (pre-owned) Host camper and am looking forward to more trips in our future with the Overland Expo being one of those 'must do' trips!
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a big hats off to Bryan and Steve for organizing a great Rally. We are already looking forward to next year.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to both you and Steve for the organization of our little corner of the boondocking fields and the information updates prior to the show. I thought it went tremendously well and plan on going again next year. Interesting they are thinking about incorporating some classes and such for TC's next year.

Safe travels Bryan. Don't get on the interstate or you'll get a nosebleed ๐Ÿ˜‰
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it is official, the 2013 Overland EXPO is complete, packed up and moved out. While the breakdown was completed on Monday, I stayed on a few more days to do, well, what I do best, explore the area! What a beautiful area these Northern Mountains of Arizona are. True to what Whazoo had shared with me, previously, this area remains much cooler than the lower and southern locales of Arizona, with morning temperatures dropping below freezing.

Friday May 17th Hi 66ยฐF / Lo 43ยฐF
Saturday May 18th Hi 66ยฐF / Lo 33ยฐF
Sunday May 19th Hi 67ยฐF / Lo 37ยฐF
Monday May 20th Hi 68ยฐF / Lo 30ยฐF
Tuesday May 21th Hi 71ยฐF / Lo 26ยฐF

Life out on the road continues to be an adventure!

I would like to thank the superb work of our fearless leader, Sabconsulting (Steve Blackman) and his lovely wife (Sally), for their work and support in putting together a terrific event, for like minded Truck Camping enthusiasts. What attracted me to this event initially was the โ€œoff the gridโ€ mentality and I was not disappointed. While a Truck Rally could be fun, this type of event is more to my liking and it looked like it was true, for many of you as well.

We made a list of those attending and interested in the 2013 Overland EXPO and will maintain it for the upcoming 2014 Overland EXPO. If you wish to be taken off this list, or know someone to include, please contact me and we will update the list. The newest news is that the EXPO recognized the growth of the Truck Campers attendees to their annual event. In a meeting this week, the organizers asked us to develop some classes/seminars that are oriented towards this group of overlanders, which I am doing now. If there is something that you would like to see, please contact me as well, and we might just bring it forward. Also, Angela and Gordon White, of Truck Camper Magazine fame, will be working with us too. I am hoping Steve and Sally will start making plans for a return visit, next year!

While I do not post photos on RV.net any longer, I do a few other places. One of these places is on my Facebook page; A Wandererโ€™s Photography. For those that are on Facebook, or thinking about it, come find me there, too. Again, thank you for providing such a memorable experience, for me and others as I hope we will see each other on the road again, somewhere soon.

bryan
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

SkipJ
Explorer
Explorer
kinda late to post but we made it. Lots of great truck camper folks here. Hallmark , 4 wheel, phoenix in vendor area.
SkipJ
1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aliceinwl wrote:
Anyone know if we'll be able to have camp fires in the TC area? The regular campground has firepits but I don't know about the place where we are.

Camp fires will not be permitted in the OX camping areas.
Based on what i have received from them it does appear that propane-only fire pits are acceptable.
See you soon ๐Ÿ™‚
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

GalinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know if we'll be able to have camp fires in the TC area? The regular campground has firepits but I don't know about the place where we are.
GalinAZ
2011 Thor Majestic Class C 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport toad

Coopincool
Explorer
Explorer
Well still can't figure out how to work this forum. Great tip on the dump, Madduo. On the north shore of Lake Powell right now. Plan a Thursday arrival. Might get a room in town Wed. night to clean up.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday afternoon. The weather should be as good as it gets.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Coopincool
Explorer
Explorer
MADDUO wrote:
If your in Flag prior to heading out there is a free dump station at the Conoco gas station. Its on the southeast corner of Butler and Lucky lane. Its just north of I-40 at the Butler exit.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

MADDUO
Explorer
Explorer
If your in Flag prior to heading out there is a free dump station at the Conoco gas station. Its on the southeast corner of Butler and Lucky lane. Its just north of I-40 at the Butler exit.