cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camping Site Map

TangoFox
Explorer
Explorer
I am working on a Google Map designed for Truck Campers. It could be used by TT's and such as well, but mainly designed for TCs.

As such, I am looking to add sites to this that are:

Off limits to TC (I'd hate to pull up to a site at 6pm to find that I can't even go there)

Prohibitive to TC (Perhaps they won't let you remove the TC, but it's a lovely campground)

Recommended Campgrounds & Boondocking locations.

Please post them below, or PM them to me.

You can see what I have so far, here:

Google Map - TC
2008 Silverado 3500HD, EFI Live!, Additional Leaf Springs, Big Wig Front and Rear Sway Bars, Torklift Mounts & Tiedowns, Firestone HT 245/75R17, APE Intake, & Uniden BC536HP
Running with 2014 Lance 1172, Solar, Added Inverter

The Truck Camping Map Project
6 REPLIES 6

TangoFox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks XPD.

That is the true point of this - I want people to find sites close to them that they've never heard of. And JMtandem, you might have those resources - but how do you know if they're a good site? Atleast with these, you have a recommendation - and why.

Also, regardless of whether other people want to use this, I am making it for myself - for my own reference and notes, so if someone else wants to benefit from it, fantastic.

XPD, you can post them here or send them to me by PM and I will add them.
2008 Silverado 3500HD, EFI Live!, Additional Leaf Springs, Big Wig Front and Rear Sway Bars, Torklift Mounts & Tiedowns, Firestone HT 245/75R17, APE Intake, & Uniden BC536HP

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
I've already found a good camp site near me in Indiana thanks to this map. Thanks for making it. How do I add to it? I can recommend several sites to camp.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't this information on some GPS RV receivers, Trailer Life and other campground directories, state and federal campgrounds Reserve America websites, and of course campground reviews? Many TCers boondock and you will never be able to capture all that information. You are sort of re-inventing the wheel and have a bag of solutions to issues that are already covered elsewhere. Also, after you complete the effort in a year or two it will be obsolete as campground owners and managers change. Some new campgrounds will open, some will close. Good luck but I don't see the payback in value for what you are putting into it. I have never been turned away from any RV park or campsite because I have a TC and this has been going on for me since 1987 or so. Sometimes they were full and no vacancy but never becaue I showed up with a TC.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Only issue I've had was with the NYS Parks, Reserve America system not knowing what a TC was.

TangoFox
Explorer
Explorer
Could be. The biggest benefit will be the recommended campsites and campgrounds.

I could care less about the restricted/prohibitive sites - but they're there as a feature.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a lot of effort for little payoff. I've only been TC camping for 9 years, but I've never had any issues because I had a TC. In any case, I think it's still best advice to call and ask before trying it because data can be wrong or could have changed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member